First post, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys,
I am trying to find gfx drivers for TSENG ET4000AX - for dos, win3.1 and win9x

I went here, but no idea what (if there any) are for win9x

https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=63

Can you help in getting drivers for dos,win3.11 and win9x?
No success when searching net, anything found - are old links (dead already).

Reply 1 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you search here for 'et4000' it gives enough results: https://retronn.de/imports/search.html

However this is also a good starter: ftp://retronn.de/driver/TSENG/

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@elianda
do you know a way (tool) to calibrate the vga signal to match textmode-vga and vga-lowres on a tft?
all et4k cards have 5-7 mm image moved to the right in vga-lowres (320x200@256colors). (EGA Lowres is centered though)
ati mach cards are perfectly centered between textmode (80x25) and ega/vga lowres.

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 4 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The reason is simple, Win9x has the ET4000AX drivers included.
In Win95_05.cab is tseng.drv and tseng.vxd

It is linked in msdisp.inf.

If Win9x did not detect it, go to the device manager, standard vga driver, update, choose your own and select TSENG/ET4000 from the list of display drivers.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 5 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:
@elianda do you know a way (tool) to calibrate the vga signal to match textmode-vga and vga-lowres on a tft? all et4k cards have […]
Show full quote

@elianda
do you know a way (tool) to calibrate the vga signal to match textmode-vga and vga-lowres on a tft?
all et4k cards have 5-7 mm image moved to the right in vga-lowres (320x200@256colors). (EGA Lowres is centered though)
ati mach cards are perfectly centered between textmode (80x25) and ega/vga lowres.

Some older cards seem to have a different video timing in these modes. This can also be seen with better capture cards.
The only program that comes to my mind that allows to change display timing in DOS is VGAMODE, the same where you can change 1024x768 from 43 Hz interlaced to 60 Hz progressive. I have not tried to tackle that problem though as it would require a card specific tool for each card.
In the long run it might be possible to patch the BIOS such way that it sets the same timing for these modes. (If the hardware supports it)

Youtube Channel

Reply 6 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are some cards/chips that stand out on this.

Intel IGP's are nearly 100% centered in all modes.
Voodoo3 is also great.
Matrox G200 is good too. On windows you can correct the image in every resolution and bitdeph.
R7000 is also great.

Geforce-Cards are mostly bad in this.

I remember the setup-dialog on turrican2-tff. it lets you config the image-output.
the easiest way in my opion is to patch the textmode-output.

Reply 7 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me a a retro gamer it's VERY VERY annoying to not to have a centered output between text- and gfx-mode.
it would be a BIG thing if I could correct this.