VOGONS

mouse driver

Topic actions

First post, by mhdbox385

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why do we need to load mouse driver before we can use mouse in DOS ?
(We don't need driver for video card or adlib sound card)

By driver I mean something that is loaded before running game, either manually or in config.sys/autoexec.bat. Also, by driver I do not mean setting irq or dma things for a device, that is just called setting. Example for a driver: mouse.com that must be loaded to be able to use mouse. I don't understand why mouse driver is required, can't programs/games directly access mouse? Maybe it is required so programs don't have to deal with mice from all manufacturers, without it we would be selecting mouse as well, just like sound cards. In that case how come mouse.com can handle all kind of mouse? Whatever the tech mouse uses, ball/optical/other, if the signals are standard, how come we still need a driver?

Reply 1 of 3, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess the authors of DOS didn't think a mouse was essential for a largely command line system since they probably had enterprise in mind rather than gaming.

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 2 of 3, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 1981 IBM PC was aimed at gamers/consumers, too. CGA, game port...

Mice as a mass phenomenon came up around 1984, when every PC user wanted to point and click like on a Mac.
The "signals" were not standard at all in the beginning.
Logitech and Mouse Systems were the most-known mice protocols that were incompatible to the M$ protocol. And then the varieties: incompatible bus mice, COM port mice and later PS/2 mice.

Reply 3 of 3, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you didn't rely on a standardized driver, you would shift the responsibility of implementing the driver to software developers. Essentially every game or application would need to include the same stuff anyway.

You absolutely can bypass the need for mouse.com and talk to the mouse directly if you absolutely want to, but by doing so you are effectively implementing a mouse driver, just like by writing code to talk to the SoundBlaster, you are implementing a SoundBlaster driver. So why would you?

By doing this, you're introducing a lot of headaches that you as a software author now have to deal with instead of focusing on writing your game/app. Where is the mouse, for instance? COM1? COM4? PS/2 port? Bus mouse? The standard mouse driver interface makes it so you don't have to worry about any of this, you just talk to the mouse through a well-defined standard interface. This is a Good Thing™

This is also why lots of games didn't talk directly to the SoundBlaster, for instance, instead relying on middleware abstractions like Miles Sound System.