VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys. yesterday i was setting up this lovely, beautiful, gigabyte motherboard GA-BX2000+ rev 1.2 , Intel. 440BX
i used a pentium3 667mhz at 133fsb. I tried couple of videocards and everything was fine.

until i tried to use a Creative 3D Blaster CT6750 VooDoo banshee card. At first it booted fine, until i reached the task to run a DOS game, system hanged. touched the card and it was really really hot. turned off the pc, turned on again and started to show artifacts on screen so i thought it was broken. (because i even pointed a fan tirectly to the card)

then i decided to give it a second chance, with something with lower speed...amd k6-2 500mhz, so i used an epox motherboard Super socket7 mvp3
The voodoo banshee worked great for a long time, played dos games and never crashed.

was there a problem with voodoo cards used on faster computers? I was able to find this
http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 … um=1125833935/7

but i thought only voodoo2 cards had problems on newer athlon xp PCs as they increased temperature, how come this card cannot handle pentium3 ?

Reply 1 of 2, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not only V2 can overheat, Banshee can too (Banshee is basically a V2 with only one TMU, clocked a little higher plus a 2D core). V1, Rush, V3 can also overheat.
PIII 667 should be ok, but it depends on a lot of other factors, if the case is small and with no airflow, then Banshee will overheat even with slower CPUs. And if you have a card under the Banshee it will be even worse.
Leave a slot empty under the Banshee card and place a fan to blow under the card (from the front of the case or from the side, just make sure it blows some air under the card), you should be fine with PIII 667.
I would not leave any 3dfx card with only pasive cooling, just a bit of airflow will make a *huge* difference.