VOGONS

First post, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys,
I found a drive IOMEGA DITTO 2GB.

I want to connect and try this drive, however I have no ditto tape - yes, probably everything went to the garbage years ago 😒

Was looking on local auctions, no luck.

Question: anybody has such tapes? Preferable from EU country to save on shipment costs, but I will consider any source.

Thank you in advance.

ps. can be any ditto tape which can be r/w on this drive, I do not insist on 2GB.

Reply 2 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aren't these just standard 1GB / 2GB QIC-Wide tapes? On the main auction sites I see a number of IOMEGA branded ones listed in the States, but also a number of Sony branded ones (QW2GB) which carry the IOMEGA DITTO 2GB mark, listed in the EU.

Reply 4 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd be amazed if it didn't 😀 - recognise this?

Sony StorStation 2GB.jpg
Filename
Sony StorStation 2GB.jpg
File size
266.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also, https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Sony+StorStati … ket.-a018775743

Reply 5 of 9, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it is not so easy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditto_(drive)

DITTO 2GB can R only some of the QIC tapes, 3020xl/f can be R/W, what is strange it can R/W 3.7GB tape even it is only 2GB drive?

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw that table too, but the point I'm making is that the DITTO 2GB format was a joint development between IOMEGA & Sony (as detailed in the previously posted Free Library article link) and that their respective units are identical, save for individual company branding. To emphasize that point look at the labels on the bottom of their external models (IOMEGA on the left and Sony on the right);

DITTO2GB.jpg
Filename
DITTO2GB.jpg
File size
406.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

aside from the near identical labels, they're both model IO2000-PX.

I'm as certain as I can be that the pre-formatted Sony tapes I mentioned earlier - QW2GB - will work fine in an IOMEGA-branded unit, and they seem available cheaply enough to be worth a try, but the choice is yours.

I think the only marketing difference is that IOMEGA made an internal & external DITTO 2GB but Sony (possibly) only made an external version of their StorStaion DITTO 2GB.

Reply 8 of 9, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had an Iomega Ditto (not quite sure of the model), running on the Ditto Dash controller
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditto_(drive)
QIC-Wide in 3020 format, though I believe on a slower interface, it may have to drop to 3010 mode (half capacity and speed) if the floppy controller lacks 1 megabit (2.88 M ED disk) support.
Assessing compatibility, I'd actually bought some 3M MC3000 XL tapes (in 3010 340MB format) which could be reformatted to 3020 format for 670MB real (double that in the compressed capacity notation the Iomega use).
At the upper end, I had a TR-3 Extra (2.2GB uncompressed, 4.4 in their notation).
NB. Support for floppy interfaced tape drives ended after Win98, definitely not in XP, don't know about ME and 2k