VOGONS

Reply 101 of 115, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote:

It's on one of the corners of the board, and also inbetween the ISA slots.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

Rev 2.0 board has colored ATX connectors.

Thank you!

The seller didn't get back to me right away, but it looks like a Rev 2.0 so I went for it. I am going to be using an S3 Savage4 eXtreme anyhow, so I don't think the AGP will give me trouble either way. Even if it does, I'll just use a PCI card instead.

I got an Ezra 866 and a Nehemiah 1.0ghz. I am hoping that the Nehemiah will respond to throttle.exe, which when combined with setmul and set FSB, might allow me to get more speeds in the 486 range. Meanwhile, getting down to a 286 or slower would be nice too. If it doesn't work out, I have the Ezra as a back up.

Reply 102 of 115, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

I got an Ezra 866 and a Nehemiah 1.0ghz. I am hoping that the Nehemiah will respond to throttle.exe, which when combined with setmul and set FSB, might allow me to get more speeds in the 486 range. Meanwhile, getting down to a 286 or slower would be nice too. If it doesn't work out, I have the Ezra as a back up.

Both are solid chips that will give you a ton of flexibility with that board and again it's not like you have to pull off heatsinks and clean/reapply thermal paste when you want to swap those either.

Reply 103 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I added some Super Socket 7 videocard DOS tests.

https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … 49606de568c62b9

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 104 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made some progress my IDE to SATA adapter is fine, there is only problem that its not able to write any error, when bootloader is broken some specific way, other good thing is that is even able boot grub from modern Linux Mint - SS7 will not later boot OS, but its good enough for bootloader, so i would have finally need to learn how to use Grub4Dos, i tried it is some XP virtual machine, to replace bootloader, but it not so simple, guess that it cant boot from NTFS partition or something like that..

Other thing is that i finally found 256 MB SD-RAM stick which is working with this MB, almost lost the faith. There is stupid problem with market, there are sellers on ebay which are able to sell you stick compatible with these boards, but they are trying to make money not with some expert knowledge but with concealing of knowledge (i hate such thing).. so they are removing original stickers and using there own stickers, to show that they are selling something special..

There is my working stick, it would be nice, if someon would be able to find some pattern which other modules would work with these MBs. So far i can say that it is one sided and has 8 chips as others. I will try to get some info from some diagnostic SW. There is image of probably control chip its some ATMEL334 - is far i know its just generic controll chip where could be loaded any code, bad maybe someone can extact the firmware and flash other RAM chips.

2019-07-27 22.06.07-256MB-JedeV-SS7.jpg
Filename
2019-07-27 22.06.07-256MB-JedeV-SS7.jpg
File size
192.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2019-08-07 23.41.37-SS7-256MB-SS7BackSide.jpg
Filename
2019-08-07 23.41.37-SS7-256MB-SS7BackSide.jpg
File size
194.79 KiB
Views
File license
2019-08-07 23.42.39-SS7-256-mainChip.jpg
Filename
2019-08-07 23.42.39-SS7-256-mainChip.jpg
File size
181.89 KiB
Views
File license

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 105 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have other strange question about SS7, i finally got MVP3 board.. but i discoverd 1 strange thing, when i connect it to my.. HP ZR24w screen, im getting for Geforce 3 agp card - Video bios info screen and after - monitors show signal out of range .. for other cards, im getting only out of range info (they probably haven some info screen or its not compatible), all are connected to VGA(SUB-D).
Well, i would consider it normal incompatibility of newer monitor with older HW, but.. When i tried exactly same video card with same monitor, cable.. and ALI V chipset.. i was getting picture? When i connect same machine to other Dell 2007 monitor output is fine.

So its possible that VIA chipset BIOS is shaping boot screens by other way and its setting different boot resolution or refresh rate than ALI chipset? I guess that there is not fix for that, except maybe some higher refresh rate to 60 Hz box.. or sub-d to DVI box, if you know some cheap box for it, i would perhaps buy it, its annoying has to debug machine in other room..

Reply 106 of 115, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Ruthan,

Get your quality SDRAM memories from this ebay seller in Germany, I bought a bunch over time from this and is good one.

16 chips Micron 256MB PC100 for older 440 series chipsets.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/256-MB-SD-RAM-168-pin … 872.m2749.l2649

For socket 370

You can either use 16 chips (above) or this link for 8 chip 256MB PC133 Micron

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/256-MB-SD-RAM-168-pin … 872.m2749.l2649

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 107 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks i will try that one for 440, if it will work with SS7. For S370 256 are ok, they are usually running, problem are 512 MB once, i have only 1 which is running.

Reply 108 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I now experimenting with 5mvp3 4.0 , im not able to make K6-2+ working, maybe old bios, i dunno and also no 256 MB sticks so far.
Re: Super Socket 7/Voodoo 3 machine

Reply 109 of 115, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it in the list of patches?
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 110 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is.. i will try this bios later, seller claimed that it worked even with original bios and k6-2+ 450.

Reply 111 of 115, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have 2 sweet PCs in mind

one is an AT motherboard soyo 5ehm with k6-3+ 450mhz
with that one i could slow down for older hames

the other one is AT motherboard soyo 6BB, its a small AT motherboard intel 440 and slot1 and works with pentium 2 and pentium3 600mhz maximum, pc100

as far as retrogaming up to a win98 and win2000, both systems should be more than enough.

not sure whats the list of games that are not possible to be played with pentium3, but if it is too fast you can put a pentium2

that combined with a really small baby AT case is just perfect

Reply 112 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never tried it, are these AT board with ATX psu possibility compatibly with micro ATX form factor or not?

I never got what is good about AT case, cable management is problematic, no enough space, they are usually boring white / yellow boxes.. and AT power supplies are now old, noisy, fans are small and there wasnt any standard so there are usually even electrically worse.. No autoshutdown in Win9x. I understand some Amiga specific case, they are interesting in comparision with Amiga Towers, but PC AT is boring box.

Reply 113 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok Luckstar 5mvp3 its working with lastest unofficial bios for K6-2+ 533 and 120 GB HDD at least for Dos booting, i havent time to test it.

BTW i never was ruch guy with ZIP drive, i got one and USB one is still working with Win10, so i tried to boot from ZIP and made Bootable media with RUFUS USB Freedos option, but i wasnt able too but - no media. I need to test is, should i work in DOS and WIn98 without driver or it need driver? Was Zip drive boot really working back in era? Tried someone ZIP driver with RUfus or for Freedos option, or for both?

Reply 114 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My monitor output problem, i upgraded bios to newer version and its working even with original monitor, so difference si only when unsupported cpu is connected, its output is for some reason ouput on some monitor probably because of some low frequency ration.. when is cpu fully supported output is fine on all monitors.
I also discover that 256 MB stick is working, at least its good enough for 16 hours of memtest run, i still a bit thing that this could be reason of very low performance, but who know, i building this machine for it.. Only problem which i not working PS/2 mouse:
Help with PS/2 mouse header connection - wiring for SS7 MB.

i have only 1 awful serial mouse with which is not pleasure to use any machine..

Reply 115 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also solve ZIP problem, its doesnt need driver for DOS, its connected as drive B, when there A for 1.44 floppy, medium was half-dead.