VOGONS

First post, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I've found a Vectra QS/16s in a pile of trash. Bringit home. (it weights a ton), opened it, clenead it, it as booted... but was giving me an error of not having the right setup.

So i went online and get the HP QS setup disk files.. So. i've replaced the battery, make a new setup with the disk, and installed the DOS 6.22..

Everything was fine... Then i tryed to install a second disk drive (an 5,25" disquette.) been messing around with some jumpers on the 3,15" disk and 5,25" disk, because i was unable to set the two drives to work.. and suddently, i make a reset and the computer now, ...boots but...the screen as some weird orande color flashing, and i believe the har drive is gone !!!

i cannot set the disk again.. i reverted everythinf i dit... take the second 5,25" drive to the side.. and no luck.. i try to make new partitions using fdisk, but the computer never makes the partitions..

Dont know why ? i plugged the disk to a newer Win7 pc, formated in FAT. The scan says the disk is ok... but doesn't work any more in my QS..

is a 42MB type 37 quantum disk..

The bios is the QS is picky and only accepts disks types from 1 to 47.. i cannot set mannualy the heads and sectors...

I cannot finda such a disk anymore...

Any ideia whats going on ? or what to do to instal a new hardrive ?

QS-1.jpg

QS-2.jpg

QS-3.jpg

QS-4.jpg

QS-5.jpg

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 1 of 7, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not an expert in this but I don't think that this pc has a BIOS on a ROM. Try booting from a DOS floppy and do the fdisk /mbr + fdisk + format /s sequence. You'll probably have to run the HP setup program thereafter to install the HP BIOS / setup program (or whatever it is called) on the hard disk so that all hardware gets recognized.

By the way, the hard disk needs to be formatted in FAT16 (not FAT32).

Reply 2 of 7, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right. This pc dont have a "bios" as is.. to acsess the "bios" i have to boot with a setup disk with the needed files and change things there...

I have formated the drive in the windows pc not in fat32, just FAT... i assume FAT is fat16, because the other option was fat32.

going to try that fdisk command to see what happens..

The errors that appear on screen is numbered 300X and 900X

Going online to check out this erros i can see this is:

HP-HIL device test failed and Floppy drive controller error

If i change the isa controller card to another slot, the computer makes really lots of beeps for a whyle..

I really like this computer... but its getting me tired of booting and booting, test this, test that.. man.

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 4 of 7, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there.. I've downloaded the number 39.. Vectra RS/QS/ES Setup and Utilities (1989)

write down a disquette.. and boot the computer with the disk in the floppy.

The setup program bios is also the boot disk...

The options are not much.. but thats what we have.

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 5 of 7, by JimLahey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote on 2019-05-06, 20:36:

I'm not an expert in this but I don't think that this pc has a BIOS on a ROM. Try booting from a DOS floppy and do the fdisk /mbr + fdisk + format /s sequence. You'll probably have to run the HP setup program thereafter to install the HP BIOS / setup program (or whatever it is called) on the hard disk so that all hardware gets recognized.

@ Spectria Force,

Can you explain the fdisk sequence a little more? I have a ide compact flash that I am trying to use as a 2gb hard drive. Is what you explained about the fdisk, several steps? First fdisk /mbr, then fdisk, then format /s ?

I have been able to format and partition through fdisk but have issues using drive to install DOS 6.22, comes up with read/write error at 99% install to th compact flash.

The bios is the QS is picky and only accepts disks types from 1 to 47.. i cannot set mannualy the heads and sectors... for compact flash but like I said I can see the drive using fdisk.

Any ideas? Thanks.

https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=produ … &product_id=611

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fl3steos9n7xdsg/AA … Yi5sskTxYa?dl=0

Reply 6 of 7, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JimLahey wrote on 2021-05-19, 16:13:
@ Spectria Force, […]
Show full quote
SpectriaForce wrote on 2019-05-06, 20:36:

@ Spectria Force,

Can you explain the fdisk sequence a little more? I have a ide compact flash that I am trying to use as a 2gb hard drive. Is what you explained about the fdisk, several steps? First fdisk /mbr, then fdisk, then format /s ?

I have been able to format and partition through fdisk but have issues using drive to install DOS 6.22, comes up with read/write error at 99% install to th compact flash.

The bios is the QS is picky and only accepts disks types from 1 to 47.. i cannot set mannualy the heads and sectors... for compact flash but like I said I can see the drive using fdisk.

Any ideas? Thanks.

https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=produ … &product_id=611

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fl3steos9n7xdsg/AA … Yi5sskTxYa?dl=0

At the command prompt (after booting from a DOS floppy) type in and press Enter:

fdisk /mbr

Hereafter your storage device will have a working master boot record. Then reboot from the DOS floppy and type in followed by Enter:

fdisk

Use the fdisk program to partition the storage device. After partitioning the storage device it needs to be formatted. Reboot from the DOS floppy and type in followed by Enter:

format /s

This command copies the operating system files to the storage device after formatting. These system files are hidden files and will not appear in a directory listing.

I'm not sure what the disk types of your BIOS are. 'Usually' there's a custom setting as well. Maybe you can find that in the manual of your pc. Probably other folks on this forum can help you with that.

Reply 7 of 7, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JimLahey wrote on 2021-05-05, 01:06:

I have just found a Vectra QS/16S. What disk did you use? I have tried several from hp museum, but haven't got it running yet.

I uploaded the disk that is working with the QS/16S (or QS/16 and QS/20) here:
https://archive.org/details/hp-vectra-qs-setu … .-setup-b.06.01

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging