VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this bad luck or something else? First my 4:3 LCD TV died (no video, just sound) and now my CRT VGA monitor is having problems. Sometimes it appears to be working fine only to have it widen the picture at random. It also sometimes shows two images in horizontal split screen. I presume it's about to croak and I can't use it like this. Any ideas on how to fix this?

The LCD TV probably just has bad caps and should be relatively easy to fix.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 8, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just said that in another thread: Any CRT monitor/TV repair should start with resoldering all the pins on the HV transformer. Sooner rather than later because if the horizontal deflection circuit goes open at the wrong time, the driving transistor will bite the dust - hard. And those are expensive, and have to be replaced for the same model (unless you know a great deal about tuning such circuits). If that doesn't help, then recapping might not be a bad idea, because all other failures are usually difficult to find if you are not an expert and that makes it not worth it - well unless the monitor has a great tube and is a keeper.

Reply 3 of 8, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Maybe it's time I finally found me a proper Sony CRT.

Make sure it's not some dim high hour one. Most people who buy good screens use them until they die or until the picture gets issues. You're probably better off with something NOS that's not an A-brand than an used high end monitor.

Reply 4 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think CRT PC monitors are worth paying a premium for. Most of them can do 1600x1200 at 60hz just fine. Based on my limited experience, monitors from the late 90's are usually all pretty good, while some Dell and Emachine cheapo monitors from the mid 2000 are sometimes total dog shit.

If you have your heart set on a higher end display, I think the 90's era trinitrons are more worthwhile than the late 2000's flat screen models. From what I have read, all of the latter need special calibration to work properly, which isn't worth it IMO for a slightly higher IQ bump and usually a higher price.

I have an HP m90 (no idea who manufactured it). It is amazing. I love that monitor to pieces. I got it for free with an 1999 HP tower. If I were looking to buy, I would gravitate toward older samsung tubes personally.

Also, buy locally. Too many horror stories when it comes to shipping CRTs.

Reply 5 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One thing to watch if too much hardware starts dying in short succession is your mains supply. If voltages deviate too far from nominal 230V too often, you stress the power circuitry of devices a lot and the weakest links (which tend to be CRT transformers...) start failing. If voltages are out, depending on your situation you can get in touch with the local power company to fix stuff and/or invest in a UPS to ensure constant, correct power delivery.

Reply 6 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
I don't think CRT PC monitors are worth paying a premium for. Most of them can do 1600x1200 at 60hz just fine. Based on my limit […]
Show full quote

I don't think CRT PC monitors are worth paying a premium for. Most of them can do 1600x1200 at 60hz just fine. Based on my limited experience, monitors from the late 90's are usually all pretty good, while some Dell and Emachine cheapo monitors from the mid 2000 are sometimes total dog shit.

If you have your heart set on a higher end display, I think the 90's era trinitrons are more worthwhile than the late 2000's flat screen models. From what I have read, all of the latter need special calibration to work properly, which isn't worth it IMO for a slightly higher IQ bump and usually a higher price.

I have an HP m90 (no idea who manufactured it). It is amazing. I love that monitor to pieces. I got it for free with an 1999 HP tower. If I were looking to buy, I would gravitate toward older samsung tubes personally.

Also, buy locally. Too many horror stories when it comes to shipping CRTs.

I found someone selling a 17" Sony and a Samsung for 5€ each locally. I'm going to check them out this week and see what condition they're in. I need one for my DOS machines so 1024x768 is all I need really. The rest of my computers are fine with an LCD.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 7 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just picked up that Sony monitor. Turns out it's a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 17se II. It has BNC connectors in the back along with the VGA connector. Anyone know what I can use them for?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 8 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Just picked up that Sony monitor. Turns out it's a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 17se II. It has BNC connectors in the back along with the VGA connector. Anyone know what I can use them for?

If it is a multi format monitor than you can run a 15.7khz or perhaps 22khz signal and use it with RGB capable home consoles, like the SNES and PSX. You will need a passive RGB to BNC breakout cable to know for sure.

I think some monitors use the BNC connector for more bandwidth as well... so you might be able to get a higher refresh rate or higher resolutions using BNC instead of VGA with professional video cards. I don't have any experience with that, so someone else will have to comment. Either way, it probably means the monitor is valuable, and if it is multiformat, than the monitor is really valuable.