VOGONS

First post, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dammit. I was disassembling the keyboard on my Compaq Portable I keyboard to get at the circuit board to at least type that way until foam replacements get here, but one screw was seized badly. I managed to get it, but something must have slipped and dammit, there went a resistor. I'm including a picture, but it's not fantastic. I see "Z3" on the side, but I'm horrible at identifying components. There are a scattering of these across the keyboard, all look identical.

Soldering will at least be relatively straightforward if I know what I'm replacing it with. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them. I can take pictures of other ones on the board too, to see if I can get the writing at a better angle.

P1050341.jpg
Filename
P1050341.jpg
File size
216.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure that is a capacitor, not a resistor.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 12, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote:

My bet is a zener diode. Can you make a better photo of the actual part? Or write down what the markings are, I could tell you what to replace it with.

The component itself has "A3Z3" on it. I can take a better picture when home but my wife's eyes are better than mine (and the board right here in the car as I went to an electronics supply shop who had no idea) but my phone camera isn't great. There are other ones on the board too, all with A3Z3 on them.

Thank you guys. 😀

Reply 4 of 12, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote:

My bet is a zener diode. Can you make a better photo of the actual part? Or write down what the markings are, I could tell you what to replace it with.

I think this picture is a little bit better. I hope it's able to help. 😀

P1050344.jpg
Filename
P1050344.jpg
File size
720.15 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 12, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Pretty sure that is a capacitor, not a resistor.

I'm going down this route at the same time, to see if I can narrow things down. MLCC capacitor? I dunno. I'm just so stumped as A3Z3 doesn't really come up with much of anything. 🙁

Reply 6 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks like a axial ceramic capacitor, probably a 0.1µF that litters old mobos.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 12, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know the capacity you need, but the second picture with this ebay offer has some explanation with it.
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/100x-AVX-axial-100nf- … =item5b218f9492

Hope it helps

Reply 8 of 12, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thallanor wrote:

The component itself has "A3Z3" on it. I can take a better picture when home but my wife's eyes are better than mine (and the board right here in the car as I went to an electronics supply shop who had no idea) but my phone camera isn't great. There are other ones on the board too, all with A3Z3 on them.

Ah, if all of them have the same markings then a zener diode is unlikely. Can you make a photo of some of these other A3Z3s then? That 3-pin part, is it a power transistor or a 78xx/79xx voltage regulator?

Reply 9 of 12, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You guys nailed it! Axial capacitor. Unfortunately, electronics supply shops are going the way of the dodo here so I couldn't find a ceramic capacitor replacement. In fact, I couldn't even find anything closer than 0.47uF @ 250V. I bought a couple and tried my hand at soldering for the first time in 25 years. At least managed to find my old leaded solder. 😁 Butchered the soldering job but did manage to get it in there. And then had a friend point out that based on the transistor, I likely have the polarity backwards. D'oh. But it works - just the capacitor is likely going to let out its smoke prematurely. I went ahead and ordered an assorted 500 pc kit of ceramic capacitors from Amazon for $23 and they should be here Thursday. I'll swap out the capacitor then, since polarity doesn't matter with ceramic capacitors, to the best of my knowledge. In the meantime, it works! Just fun typing on this keyboard without keys right now, until I get the foam replacement kits. But it works!

Good thing this picture is out of focus. It hides my horrible soldering skills. 😀

DSC_0474.JPG
Filename
DSC_0474.JPG
File size
543.63 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 10 of 12, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote:

Ah, if all of them have the same markings then a zener diode is unlikely. Can you make a photo of some of these other A3Z3s then? That 3-pin part, is it a power transistor or a 78xx/79xx voltage regulator?

When I carefully lifted it, it was a 78xx. I checked for a friend because he was attempting to determine if I botched the polarity when I soldered in the capacitor. 😀

Reply 11 of 12, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My assumption was a zener + power transistor but if that's a 78xx series regulator then the capacitor is 10-100nF non-inductive one to prevent the part from self-oscillating. That's always a risk with any sort of feedback. The cap has to be close to the regulator (and it is) and the "non-inductive" part means it can't be an electrolytic or any other foil-based kind. A cheap disc ceramic will do nicely though - the axial ones are usually higher quality but it's not critical here.

Reply 12 of 12, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote:

My assumption was a zener + power transistor but if that's a 78xx series regulator then the capacitor is 10-100nF non-inductive one to prevent the part from self-oscillating. That's always a risk with any sort of feedback. The cap has to be close to the regulator (and it is) and the "non-inductive" part means it can't be an electrolytic or any other foil-based kind. A cheap disc ceramic will do nicely though - the axial ones are usually higher quality but it's not critical here.

That makes sense. I should be receiving my order of 500 0.1uF to 10uF ceramic capacitors tomorrow so I'll replace it then. 😀 In the meantime, I'll continue to use it and just be aware it might give up its magic smoke sooner than later. 😀

I appreciate everyone's suggestions here. I'm giddy that the keyboard lives and that I can use it (awkwardly, without keys) by tapping at it, so I can at least use the computer a little bit. 😀