VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this laptop coming next monday and the hdd thats inside is dead however it's still inside.

I would love to replace it, however I don't know how to open the caddy without any damage.

Any help is appriciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 7, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ThinkPad hardware maintenance manual is your friend http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/books/tpvol2.pdf

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 7, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be very careful. The plastics on those old IBM laptops is very brittle. I will be surprised if it survives shipping.
You will probably have to replace the battery for sure.
I have one of those IBM 755c thinkpads but the display went bad. You can still find refurbished displays on eBay.
Also those use special 17mm IBM hard-drives. I tried to use a CF card once but the thinkpad would not boot.
So I had to use and original IBM hard drive. I think that hard-drive is Incased in a plastic case.
You can pry open the case with a small screw driver.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-05-10, 23:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 7, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had several old ThinkPads come in just fine... as long as it's packed properly, shouldn't be an issue. As for plastics, no they tend to be better quality than many other laptops from the time.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 4 of 7, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IBM kind of made these Hard-drive caddies tamper proof.
But you can pry one open with a small pick and screw drivers.
Don't break the tamper proof seal.

I think IBM designed these hard-drives to be replace-able with the caddy.
They are easy and quick swap-able.

IBM P/N's
125MB Hard Disk Drive 84G6663
200MB Hard Disk Drive 85G7606
360MB Hard Disk Drive 85G7608

Reply 5 of 7, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all of this information 😀 I really appriciate it. 😊

Reply 6 of 7, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
Be very careful. The plastics on those old IBM laptops is very brittle. I will be surprised if it survives shipping. You will pr […]
Show full quote

Be very careful. The plastics on those old IBM laptops is very brittle. I will be surprised if it survives shipping.
You will probably have to replace the battery for sure.
I have one of those IBM 755c thinkpads but the display went bad. You can still find refurbished displays on eBay.
Also those use special 17mm IBM hard-drives. I tried to use a CF card once but the thinkpad would not boot.
So I had to use and original IBM hard drive. I think that hard-drive is Incased in a plastic case.
You can pry open the case with a small screw driver.

I wanted to ask which CF card have you used and also which adapter ? 😊

Reply 7 of 7, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will try to use Sandisk Ultra II 2gb and 2.5inch latpop cf adapter.😊 I have seen one working with ide to sd card here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ANCchZGZg 😕