VOGONS

First post, by tacoman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
Does anybody know where to buy the P8/P9 shell, Molex part 90331? I acquired 2 AT Power supplies that came out of a dvd duplicator tower. But the power supplies don't have a AT connector although ive opened up the PSU's and they do have pads for -5v and -12v with the correct voltages. I have this idea to convert them into regular AT supplies for my 486.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jDCvusQiKH4goUUV8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jcfekNojZoRXfTFd8

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IF you really want to convert them.. maybe take stuff from a couple of dead AT power supplies?

As for me, I don't trust old AT power supplies one bit. It is much easier and cheap to just use newer ATX power supplies with an ATX to AT adapter... and you can get them with -5v added if need be.

You not only get much better voltage regulation, but you also get a much more efficient design.

If you really want to do the conversion for those power supplies, maybe antronst on eBay would be willing to sell you just the connectors or maybe let you know where he gets them from.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 5, by tacoman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently using my only ATX supply that i scavenged from my P4 and using one of the adapters that antronst made. I was just thinking of using these AT supplies as these are not that old (circa 2007). Ill ask him if he can spare some, Its weird because these connectors are discontinued for almost 10 years from Molex but i still see them used in adapters all over the internet.

Reply 3 of 5, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

IF you really want to convert them.. maybe take stuff from a couple of dead AT power supplies?

As for me, I don't trust old AT power supplies one bit. It is much easier and cheap to just use newer ATX power supplies with an ATX to AT adapter... and you can get them with -5v added if need be.

I trust old AT power supplies more than newer ATX (especially if the PSU is of questionable quality). I've never seen a single motherboard gone because of failed AT power supply (if they worked, they worked, if not - they were blowing fuses or just bursted in flames ;] ) and then ATX era came, and motherboards killed by failing PSUs became a reality...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 4 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That might have been caused by the rise of power consumption pushing these bad PSUs to their limits which are lower than claimed. Low quality already existed during the AT era, but a 486 isn't powerful enough to kill a shady PSU. However maybe some things during the ATX era were made worse in cheap PSUs, I do not know.

As for the ATX PSU + adapter being cheaper than AT PSUs, I disagree, I got most of my AT PSUs in the cases they came with, and most of the time I got all my systems for cheaper than a cheap but decent ATX PSU. Unless I get a terrible quality PSU, I won't have them any cheaper, and thus the quality argument falls, at least for me. But I don't think I'm alone.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 5, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:

I trust old AT power supplies more than newer ATX (especially if the PSU is of questionable quality). I've never seen a single motherboard gone because of failed AT power supply (if they worked, they worked, if not - they were blowing fuses or just bursted in flames ;] ) and then ATX era came, and motherboards killed by failing PSUs became a reality...

That's because many cases of the PSU killing the motherboard and/or other components are due to the +5VSB line going out of spec, a problem that is non-existent with AT units.