VOGONS

Why is Amiga so popular with retro community ?

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 361, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This reminds me of the Sinclair QL and Commodore Plus/4, which along with the original Macintosh, were all released or announced in January 1984. All three machines were targeted at the corporate/business sector, which is where the real money was, and which was then dominated by the IBM PC. All three machines were incompatible with their popular predecessors (Apple II, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64), and were much criticised for this. In all three cases this was a deliberate decision intended to attract corporate buyers, who did not want their employees wasting time with games and other nonsense in the office.

“I like to dissect PCs. Don't you know I'm utterly insane?"

Reply 361 of 361, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Breaking compatibility made sense for new generation 16/32 bit machines, not so much for 8 bits. However, Tandy/RadioShack released their TRS-80 Model 4 and CoCo 2 in late 83, which ran previous models software, annnnnnnnnd didn't take the market by storm either.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.