VOGONS

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been using a SATA to IDE adapter for my SSD drive, and it works fine. The only issue I am having is that I am limited to 33mb/s read/write on the sata bus. Even on my motherboards that support ultra IDE, or PATA 133.

I can install windows 98 to my SSD drive using an IDE adapter, and then boot from it as a SATA drive fine. My read speeds appear to be pretty close to saturating my SATA 1.5 bus, however my write speeds are stuck at 4MB/s. Given the abysmal write speeds, I have opted to use IDE instead.

So I was wondering which method would be best for getting the most out of a fast hard drive?

1) Is there a good SATA to IDE adapter that supports 66mb/s or 133mb/s?
2) Is there a reliable way to get SATA 1.5 speeds in windows 98?

Are Promise SATA TX2 cards or similar reliable/good? I have read mixed things so far.

Reply 1 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote:

w98..... write speeds are stuck at 4MB/s

was it like thaty from the start? of after using this drive with w98 for a while? because this sounds like drive failing to trim itself - I killed a Sandisk SSD like that, using it in Win7 with trim disabled for a ~year made the drive write at 1MB/s max.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 11, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The drive is fine. Adding DMA and switching to IDE moves the write speeds back to 33mb/s. The same model in my XP machine saturates the SATA 3 bus. The lack of TRIM does hurt performance, but not by that much, and not that quickly on a fresh format.

Reply 3 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first lesson of SATA PATA adapters and SATA PCI cards is they often have some kind of compatibility quirk. And it's hard to be sure they aren't just defective in some way. Or that your old motherboard isn't defective in some way, or has quirks with some kinds of PCI cards as is quite possible. 😀 I've tested some Chinese SATA PATA adapters at ~95MB/s. That's basically saturation of UDMA 133. Maybe you just got an especially lame (or somewhat defective) one. I have one that connects to the motherboard port and some that connect to the drive. Or could it be the particular drive not liking it?

I usually just use a circa 2003 hard drive instead these days. It's easiest and it's really not all that slow.

Reply 4 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the Promise SATA I 150 SATA controllers. They have drivers for Windows 9x.

Promise also made some SATA II 150 controllers but there are no drivers for them for Windows 9x.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have a Promise SATA 150 TX2. It works, but my Abit BF6 is really picky about which PCI slot you use which cards in. Some motherboards are like that. You can flush hours of time trying to figure out the slot that won't randomly cause freezing. Or maybe you'll just have some silent data corruption. One never knows the fun that might await! 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

I like the Promise SATA I 150 SATA controllers. They have drivers for Windows 9x.

Promise also made some SATA II 150 controllers but there are no drivers for them for Windows 9x.

That is what I would get. I haven't read too many opinions on how well they work though, only vague implications that it can work, but might not.

swaaye wrote:

The first lesson of SATA PATA adapters and SATA PCI cards is they often have some kind of compatibility quirk. And it's hard to be sure they aren't just defective in some way. Or that your old motherboard isn't defective in some way, or has quirks with some kinds of PCI cards as is quite possible. 😀 I've tested some Chinese SATA PATA adapters at ~95MB/s. That's basically saturation of UDMA 133. Maybe you just got an especially lame (or somewhat defective) one. I have one that connects to the motherboard port and some that connect to the drive. Or could it be the particular drive not liking it?

I usually just use a circa 2004 hard drive instead these days. It's easiest and it's really not all that slow. Quiet fluid bearing equipped WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB cache drive.

Would it be possible for you to link to the exact adapter you use? 95mb/s would be plenty, I would only get maybe 120mb/s on a SATA I anyhow.

I would use a regular hard drive if it were still possible to buy one brand new with a PATA interface. I just don't feel confident putting any data on a drive that is more than 10 years old 😒

swaaye wrote:

I also have a Promise SATA 150 TX2. It works, but my Abit BF6 is really picky about which PCI slot you use which cards in. Some motherboards are like that. You can flush hours of time trying to figure out the slot that won't randomly cause freezing. Or maybe you'll just have some silent data corruption. One never knows the fun that might await! 😀

That is exactly the kind of thing I don't want to deal with 🤣 . I'll stick with slow IDE if it comes to that.

Last edited by mothergoose729 on 2019-05-14, 18:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 11, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are motherboards running the Intel 865 chipset with SATA ports which natively support Windows 98. Let me know your benchmark of choice and I can give you some results.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 8 of 11, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BushLin wrote:

There are motherboards running the Intel 865 chipset with SATA ports which natively support Windows 98. Let me know your benchmark of choice and I can give you some results.

I use this benchmark from Phil's website:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/hdd-benchmarks.html

I am curious to see what you get, but at this point I am committed to a chip set that doesn't appear to have SATA drivers for 9x. If I give up and go socket 478, the 845 or 865 chipset is definitely what I would get.

Reply 9 of 11, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:
I use this benchmark from Phil's website: […]
Show full quote
BushLin wrote:

I am curious to see what you get, but at this point I am committed to a chip set that doesn't appear to have SATA drivers for 9x. If I give up and go socket 478, the 845 or 865 chipset is definitely what I would get.

I assume you wanted the ATTO benchmark, ran with defaults on an old Intel 60GB SSD (underclocked 45nm Pentium dual-core).

W98_ATTO.PNG
Filename
W98_ATTO.PNG
File size
36.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 10 of 11, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BushLin wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:
I use this benchmark from Phil's website: […]
Show full quote
BushLin wrote:

I assume you wanted the ATTO benchmark, ran with defaults on an old Intel 60GB SSD (underclocked 45nm Pentium dual-core).

W98_ATTO.PNG

Those results are basically perfect. I think 122mb/s is about the upper limit of SATA I.

Also, didn't know that the 865 chipset will take pentium dual cores! That really seems like the ideal setup for windows 98.

Reply 11 of 11, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:

Those results are basically perfect. I think 122mb/s is about the upper limit of SATA I.

Also, didn't know that the 865 chipset will take pentium dual cores! That really seems like the ideal setup for windows 98.

Not many 865 boards will happily accept 45nm socket 775 CPUs but the Asrock 775i65 has official support. FSB1066 support is a 166mhz fudge not running at 1:1 ratio, 800mhz bus chips work out faster so the 45nm pentiums are just the ticket and can be picked up for peanuts. This one is running at 2.4Ghz rather than 3.2Ghz to avoid issues in DOS but the underclock makes negligible difference to power consumption or temps.