VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've an old AOC LCD monitor that died on me years ago. It simply stopped working; no sign of power. And I haven't tried turning it on in years.
I've since watched a few videos suggesting that such monitors are subject to failed power supplies, and recapping might bring them back to life.

I guess I should first ask, is this likely true?
Now, I haven't soldered much of anything in 20 years; that's one reason why I considered this for a project. It doesn't cost me anything if I botch it, and I can use the experience before I work on things I really care about.

But now that Radio Shack is history, can anybody point me to a safe place online to buy appropriate replacement capacitors?

Second, if I should fail in repairing the power supply, would it be possible to use a substitute power source of some kind?
My thought was, if I botch the power supply repair, or if it's beyond my ability to repair, I might still be able to use the LCD display as a display for a home-brew, retro arcade cabinet. I've always wanted a cocktail-table style "game" machine that would not only run MAME but also classic game systems, and above all, old DOS games. It's been on my long-term "todo" list for decades. Or even a standup arcade cabinet would be cool. In some box, on an obscure CD, I've got plans for building such cabinets.

So, if I succeed, "yea!", I have an extra monitor. And if I fail, maybe I can salvage the LCD and push this project to the front of the line.

Third, would anyone with experience replacing capacitors, especially in an LCD monitor, care to share words of wisdom? I've seen a few videos, but they were mostly oriented around restoring the item, not the specifics of replacing the caps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply 1 of 6, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be caps in the PSU. Or it could be cracked solder joints on the CCFL HV transformers. These crack due to vibrations (from pulsing magnetic fields) and sometimes take out the driving transistors when that happens. Shorted transistors in turn take out the PSU fuses, or the PSU itself. So before you commit to recapping, make sure you know what actually failed.

Reply 2 of 6, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off does the monitor not turn at all or is it just the screen that's not working? If the backlight fails you will be able to see a faint image if you shine a bright light at the screen (example). If that's not it you need to check the output side of the power supply - for a powerbrick type there's only one voltage to check, on an internal one there's usually a few that should be labeled on the PCB (careful around the internal PSUs as there is mains voltage on one side). Logic board normally gets 5V, the backlight out (either connecting to inverters or just straight to the LEDs) is about 30-70V depending on the type of monitor. What goes bad on the PSUs are either the capacitors or the voltage regulators - the obvious signs for capacitors would be leaking/bulging, and for the regulators a short-circuit when you check them with a multimeter in continuity mode.

Reply 3 of 6, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nprod wrote:

First off does the monitor not turn at all or is it just the screen that's not working? If the backlight fails you will be able to see a faint image if you shine a bright light at the screen (example). If that's not it you need to check the output side of the power supply - for a powerbrick type there's only one voltage to check, on an internal one there's usually a few that should be labeled on the PCB (careful around the internal PSUs as there is mains voltage on one side). Logic board normally gets 5V, the backlight out (either connecting to inverters or just straight to the LEDs) is about 30-70V depending on the type of monitor. What goes bad on the PSUs are either the capacitors or the voltage regulators - the obvious signs for capacitors would be leaking/bulging, and for the regulators a short-circuit when you check them with a multimeter in continuity mode.

Nothing, no power light, nothing.

Reply 4 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mentioning actual model number wouldnt hurt 😉
open it up and measure the fuse for starters, no signs of life means supply is dead

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 6, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just open it up and look at the caps. If they're bulging and leaking, they're dead and recapping will probably fix it. Also check the fuses while you're at it.

I think a 24" monitor is worth fixing regardless of its age.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 6 of 6, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:

I guess I should first ask, is this likely true?

Yes, it's an extremely common problem. The caps you'll need to replace will likely be 1000uf and 470uf; replace them all rather than just the ones that look dodgy.