l33t

I have a new old stock 486 motherboard.
That only supports 5v cpu’s
I have installed a 486dx-33 cpu
16mb FPM ram.
128kb -20ns cache.
I also tried a 486dx-66 and a 486dx-50
With no success .
I have a PC diagnostics reader attached.
See the error code. “FF - - “
It will not post or display anything. No video. No beep error codes.
That’s all I get.

What can be wrong with this motherboard ?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aren't 30 pin SIMMs typically supposed to be installed in contiguous slots (unless your board manual says otherwise)? They work in sets of 4 in a 486 board, so that would mean 4 SIMMs in the first 4 slots .

Reply 2 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, those SIMMs need to be in groups of 4. There's no dual-channel stuff in these boards like you see on modern things 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 486 uses a 32 bit bus, 30 pin simms are 8 bit so you need 4 of them to form 32bits, same with 386DX (whereas on a 286/386SX you only need two).

The same happens with pentiums and 72 pin simms : 72 pin simms are 32 bit simms, but the pentium has a 64bit bus so you need two of them.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 10, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes ! You guys are Awesome !
It works now.
The manual read I had to have one sim in each memory bank.
And there are 2 banks of 4 slots.
So I thought, 1 sim in bank 0 and 1 sim in bank 1.
But that obviously did not work.
Putting all the sims in bank 0 worked.
I have the 486dx-66 installed.
I am going to regression test and benchmark this motherboard setup before I but in in a case.

Thanks peoples.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 10, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, now that I have the motherboard working. What are the best bios settings for this setup ?
Bus Clk/Wait states ?
DRAM wait ?

Attachments

Reply 6 of 10, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What Oscillator do you have installed? How many MHz?

I'm a bit confused with your CLK2/4. It looks like you've overclocked the ISA bus to 16.66 MHz. CLK/4 should be better.

Reply 8 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CLK2 is probably the name of the frequency source, it's not "clock*2" 33/4 = 8.25 which seems normal

4.98 is very very bad for a DX2-66, it's the level of a 386DX 25 roughly. A DX2 should perform near 24-25 points. Make sure turbo is set properly (maybe it needs to be closed to let the CPU run at native speed)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 10, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I am going to put this build on hold because the Dallas battery is dead and I will need to perform a coin battery adapter mod. I don’t have the parts right now.

Reply 10 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

Yeah, those SIMMs need to be in groups of 4. There's no dual-channel stuff in these boards like you see on modern things 🤣.

They didn't have "dual channel", but some of the better boards supported something called "bank interleave", which I believe is a similar idea.
There was 2-way and 4-way interleave. I don't think the chipset on this board supports it though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium