VOGONS

First post, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive been trying to get this motherboard to run at 133 fsb, everytime i try it doesnt boot. 112 is the highest i can get it to boot .
Also the default bios has the cpu underclocked both fsb and multiplier (on a locked cpu?)SL3XL http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL3XL.html

20190527-003855.jpg 20190527-003932.jpg

ive read over the manual few times double checked everything (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/611920/Aopen-Ax63.html)
at first i was using 16 chip pc133 ram both 256mb stick and 512mb(seperatley) but the manual says it only supports ram with less than 16 chips(page 17 in manual), so i used single sided pc133 stick and the same happened.

Also when i boot into windows 98 se with the default bios settings and try to run cpu z it freezes the computer at 25% displaying SPD.
I've tried SL3XJ http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL3XJ.html
but the same issues.

im still pretty new at the slot 1 gen of mobos. im thinking the cpus im using are to new, is there a cpu somebody would recommend i get for this board?
Also curious as to why cpu z crashes the computer, maybe a fresh install of 98 se with no drivers will help. any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.
BTW the bios im using is the latest. thanks to Robert B Re: Aopen AX63 Bios file needed R1.31

Reply 1 of 2, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Arbys Guy wrote:
Ive been trying to get this motherboard to run at 133 fsb, everytime i try it doesnt boot. 112 is the highest i can get it to bo […]
Show full quote

Ive been trying to get this motherboard to run at 133 fsb, everytime i try it doesnt boot. 112 is the highest i can get it to boot .
Also the default bios has the cpu underclocked both fsb and multiplier (on a locked cpu?)SL3XL http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL3XL.html

20190527-003855.jpg 20190527-003932.jpg

ive read over the manual few times double checked everything (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/611920/Aopen-Ax63.html)

Are you sure you have the AX63 and not the AX63Pro?

In that case the reason it won't run at 133MHz is clear - the AX63 has the Via ApolloPro+ chipset (VT82C693), which is only rated for 100MHz FSB operation and unlike say the i440BX has very little overclocking headroom.

As for the multiplier, the CPU you are using is much newer than the board and apparently the BIOS doesn't detect it properly. That doesn't matter, the multiplier is locked, so it will run at 5x FSB regardless.

If it is the AX63Pro you have, you're looking at the wrong manual...

at first i was using 16 chip pc133 ram both 256mb stick and 512mb(seperatley) but the manual says it only supports ram with less than 16 chips(page 17 in manual), so i used single sided pc133 stick and the same happened.

RAM specs aren't that complicated, but attempts by manual writers to 'simplify' it inevitably turn it into an incomprehensible mess.

The ApolloPro+ supports max 128Mb chips, and max 128 data lines per DIMM. Most chips have either 8 or 16 data lines, so you generally have a max of 16 chips. 16 chips with 128Mb give you 256MB (note capitalization, 1B=8b!). A 512MB SDR-SDRAM DIMM will generally have 16 chips of 256Mb. If you use that on a board that supports max 128Mb, you will only be able to use half its capacity.

Some chips have 4 data lines (256Mx4), which would theoretically allow you to use DIMMs with 32 chips, or (electrically) single-sided DIMMs with 16 chips. These are outside of JEDEC spec and famously fail to work on Intel chipsets. Later Via chipsets (eg the ApolloPro133A on the AX63Pro) definitely do support them, but no idea about the old ApolloPro+

Also when i boot into windows 98 se with the default bios settings and try to run cpu z it freezes the computer at 25% displaying SPD.
I've tried SL3XJ http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL3XJ.html
but the same issues.

That sounds like stability issues from overclocking the chipset to 112MHz. Try it at 100MHz. Also note that SPD data was notoriously unreliable in the SDR-SDRAM era, so you're better off ignoring it and manually setting the relevant timings.

im still pretty new at the slot 1 gen of mobos. im thinking the cpus im using are to new, is there a cpu somebody would recommend i get for this board?

Well, if it is the AX63 with ApolloPro+, a 100MHz FSB Slot 1 CPU, say a P3-550.

Also curious as to why cpu z crashes the computer, maybe a fresh install of 98 se with no drivers will help. any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.
BTW the bios im using is the latest. thanks to Robert B Re: Aopen AX63 Bios file needed R1.31

Running a Via chipset with no drivers is asking for problems. You could try different Via 4-in-1 driver versions to see what works best. But first stop overclocking the old beast.

Reply 2 of 2, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HAHA! okay i will. i did end up trying at stock and it still crashed!
Thanks for the in depth analysis of my problems,I am quite disappointed that the mobo turned out to be just so basic(i thought it could do 133 fsb no prob), im 99.9% sure its not the pro, it only says a-open ax63 on the board, and when i was getting drivers awhile back I looked at the differences and mine had less jumpers than the pro(was a couple extra features visually on the board if im not mistaken.) it would be pretty funny if it was the pro tho... it sounds like something i would do 🤣.

I put in a 500mhz pIII and everything boots fine at the correct speeds(according to the bios), tried 133fsb it did not boot.
CPU-Z still crashes at 25%.
when i search for drivers for this board and all i get is links for the pro version. i will try some other drivers as soon as i find them. hopefully that fixes it. i really dont need cpu z to run but it would be nice.

thanks again for the help, i have some dell dimension xps t500's that i think i got the faster cpus out of might just try them instead. and sell this for cheap, as a retro gaming pc. im sure it runs games just fine but im a stickler for having all the systems in my lan party setup running at the same. fsb video cards network cards ect except for maybe mobo because i dont have very many quadruples worth using.