VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been struggling with this for a while, after installing Windows 95 OSR2 on another partition on my IBM Thinkpad 560X.

The PCMCIA/CardBus slots on this laptop work perfectly out of the box in Windows 98SE. However, Windows 95 has trouble recognizing them and installing drivers properly. Here's what I know so far:

(trying to use Win95 OSR2)

• It works perfectly in Win98SE out of the box with no issues
  • Win95 OSR2, after a clean install, sees two "PCI Bridge" and two "PCI CardBus Bridge" devices in Device Manager.
  • The PCI Bridge ones are marked as Unknown (question mark), and when you open them they say "this device is working properly" and "no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device"
  • There is another device - "PCIC or Compatible PCMCIA controller" or something, but it was marked with a red "X" and would not work - more on that later
  • The PCI CardBus Bridge ones are marked with both a question mark and an exclamation point, and say "this device has been disabled in the hardware. In order to use this device, you must re-enable the hardware (Code 29)" BUT of course the slots are clearly enabled, as they work in Win98SE. The ThinkPad configuration utility has no settings for PCMCIA cards.
  • For the code 29 problem, an MS article says to NOT use a version of PCI.VXD newer than 4.00.1119, but my version is 4.00.1111, which I later updated to 4.00.1114.
  • For the PCI Bridge problem, there is a suggested fix with a "dummy" OEMSETUP.INF that IBM released. Using that and installing all the "dummy" devices contained in it caused Win95 to give me the "do you want to enable/disable real mode PCMCIA drivers, enable 32-bit support, etc etc" dialog boxes - but after clicking through those (successfully; it said "32-bit support has now been enabled"), nothing has changed EXCEPT that the PCIC controller device is now GONE from Device Manager.
  • I attempted to install the MS CardBus support update for Windows 95, which included a bunch of files, but after doing that nothing had changed at all and it still was not working.
  • After all this, I attempted to install the drivers for a certain wireless card that claims to support Win95, but that did not work either.
  • Rebooting into Windows 98SE, the slots are still working fine. It is definitely NOT a hardware problem.

I am up against a wall on this. Anyone have any ideas?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: I have gotten somewhat further on this. After doing a lot of research, I installed the drivers for the Intel 430TX chipset, and now the PCI Bridge devices are installed correctly.

I also found a "supplemental drivers" package from IBM for a similar Thinkpad model, which I know to have the same internals (more or less) as the 560X. It contained the 430TX chipset drivers, but also drivers for the CardBus controller, which, when I pointed Win95 to them, were detected as the correct drivers and installed successfully.

So now I have the "Texas Instruments PCI-1250 CardBus Controller" drivers installed, just as in Win98SE! But there's a problem: they STILL show up as being "disabled in hardware", even though they clearly aren't.

So I'm at another impasse now. Bummer.

Reply 2 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try the actual Windows 95 PCMCIA driver for that laptop.. available here under the "Software and Utility" category:
https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Driver … /ddfm/560x.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Try the actual Windows 95 PCMCIA driver for that laptop.. available here under the "Software and Utility" category:
https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Driver … /ddfm/560x.html

I should have mentioned that I already tried that. It's not a driver! It's just a third-party configuration utility that doesn't actually do anything, and complains about drivers not being installed.

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everything I am finding says that that is the PCCARD/PCMCIA driver for Windows 95.

See here as well:
http://oldcomputer.info/portables/tp560/index.htm - maybe try the PCI bridge driver from here as well?
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/31aa.htm

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Everything I am finding says that that is the PCCARD/PCMCIA driver for Windows 95.

It definitely isn't, decisively.

cyclone3d wrote:

See here as well:
http://oldcomputer.info/portables/tp560/index.htm - maybe try the PCI bridge driver from here as well?
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/31aa.htm

Yes, these are the "dummy" inf file I mentioned earlier. That problem has been solved by installing the 430TX chipset drivers.

Reply 6 of 10, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2019-05-30, 00:54:
I have been struggling with this for a while, after installing Windows 95 OSR2 on another partition on my IBM Thinkpad 560X. […]
Show full quote

I have been struggling with this for a while, after installing Windows 95 OSR2 on another partition on my IBM Thinkpad 560X.

The PCMCIA/CardBus slots on this laptop work perfectly out of the box in Windows 98SE. However, Windows 95 has trouble recognizing them and installing drivers properly. Here's what I know so far:

(trying to use Win95 OSR2)

• It works perfectly in Win98SE out of the box with no issues
  • Win95 OSR2, after a clean install, sees two "PCI Bridge" and two "PCI CardBus Bridge" devices in Device Manager.
  • The PCI Bridge ones are marked as Unknown (question mark), and when you open them they say "this device is working properly" and "no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device"
  • There is another device - "PCIC or Compatible PCMCIA controller" or something, but it was marked with a red "X" and would not work - more on that later
  • The PCI CardBus Bridge ones are marked with both a question mark and an exclamation point, and say "this device has been disabled in the hardware. In order to use this device, you must re-enable the hardware (Code 29)" BUT of course the slots are clearly enabled, as they work in Win98SE. The ThinkPad configuration utility has no settings for PCMCIA cards.
  • For the code 29 problem, an MS article says to NOT use a version of PCI.VXD newer than 4.00.1119, but my version is 4.00.1111, which I later updated to 4.00.1114.
  • For the PCI Bridge problem, there is a suggested fix with a "dummy" OEMSETUP.INF that IBM released. Using that and installing all the "dummy" devices contained in it caused Win95 to give me the "do you want to enable/disable real mode PCMCIA drivers, enable 32-bit support, etc etc" dialog boxes - but after clicking through those (successfully; it said "32-bit support has now been enabled"), nothing has changed EXCEPT that the PCIC controller device is now GONE from Device Manager.
  • I attempted to install the MS CardBus support update for Windows 95, which included a bunch of files, but after doing that nothing had changed at all and it still was not working.
  • After all this, I attempted to install the drivers for a certain wireless card that claims to support Win95, but that did not work either.
  • Rebooting into Windows 98SE, the slots are still working fine. It is definitely NOT a hardware problem.

I am up against a wall on this. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi! did you manage to solve the problem with the CARDBUS slots of the 560X? I have the exact same laptop, with the exact same issue. I've done the same steps you tried, but both slots still show up with an exclamation point and do not work. Mine also work fine on DOS and Windows 98SE, so I am also sure the hardware is OK.

Thanks for any pointers.

Reply 7 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aha2940 wrote on 2020-07-15, 04:06:

Hi! did you manage to solve the problem with the CARDBUS slots of the 560X?

That's a good question. I don't think I ever did, actually.

What I did do was convert the system to a dual boot with DOS/Win31 and Windows NT 4.0, both of which have no issues with the cardbus slots.

I suspect there is probably a correct way to make this work somehow, but I never did figure it out. There was probably some IBM update file that was required for the OEM install, which has now been lost to time or is sitting in somebody's old floppy disk collection somewhere waiting to be archived to the Internet.

Reply 8 of 10, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-07-15, 14:13:
That's a good question. I don't think I ever did, actually. […]
Show full quote
aha2940 wrote on 2020-07-15, 04:06:

Hi! did you manage to solve the problem with the CARDBUS slots of the 560X?

That's a good question. I don't think I ever did, actually.

What I did do was convert the system to a dual boot with DOS/Win31 and Windows NT 4.0, both of which have no issues with the cardbus slots.

I suspect there is probably a correct way to make this work somehow, but I never did figure it out. There was probably some IBM update file that was required for the OEM install, which has now been lost to time or is sitting in somebody's old floppy disk collection somewhere waiting to be archived to the Internet.

Thanks for your reply. I think the recovery CD that came originally with the machine should have that file somewhere, but it seems nobody on the internet has a copy of that CD. Since for me this is my second Pentium MMX machine, I think I can have it some time with no PCMCIA ports and if I manage to find a solution, I'll post it here.

Thanks!

Edit: OK, fixed the problem! yay! I found this thread: https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=127552 which does not mention the 560x (thread is about a thinkpad 380XD), but does mention the same TI Cardbus controller, which is shared by both, the 560X and the 380XD. There, they suggest downloading a file: http://sdfox7.com/solo9300/win9x/W95SFDV.EXE which turns out to be an updated driver for the TI controller. I uncompressed it, it creates the C:\Drivers\W9x\SUPP directory which contains several other directories. Form these, the important ones are "intelinf" and "cardbus". What I had to do was:

1. Uninstall the cardworks software. Reboot.
2. Install the updated intel drivers for the laptop from the supp\intelinf directory. Reboot.
3. Wait until it detects all the hardware connected to the intel chipset. Reboot again.
4. Update the drivers for both TI cardbus controllers. Only one let me update the driver, the other said there was no updated driver at the location I chose. Reboot.
5. After reboot, the TI controllers no longer had the exclamation point, but they did not recognize inserted cards.
6. Installed CARDWORKS again. Reboot.
7. After a reboot, everything seems to be working (see pic).

Strange things I noticed:

1. The controllers are now reported as "TI PCI1250". They were originally displayed as "TI PCI1250A". Googling a bit, they seem to be similar but not exactly identical: https://www.ti.com/sc/docs/products/msp/intrf … ce/pci/tech.htm
2. At some point a new unrecognized device appeared, identified as "PCMCIA Card Services". No idea if it needs a driver or not, I don't recall having seen that ever before.

Hope this helps someone else. I attached the drivers file I used to this post.

Attachments

• Filename
    W95SFDV.EXE
    File size
    921.06 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File comment
    IBM thinkpad 560X PCMCIA/Cardbus drivers
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_5564.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5564.JPG
    File size
    585.86 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    IBM thinkpad 560X with win95 and working PCMCIA slots
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 9 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a similar issue with my IBM ThinkPad 380XD.

What I did was running Everest on my computer to figure out what the pcmcia bridge chip was and then look for its windows 95 driver.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative