VOGONS

PC meta-hobby

Topic actions

First post, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's difficult to say whether this is considered on-topic or not... but has anyone seen the PC Building Simulator game? I LOLed when I saw this just now on GOG. I don't know how far back it goes it terms of hardware era. Maybe they'll release an expansion pack with 386s and Sound Blasters. And then a simulator where you build a PC to run the simulator on, with an in-game virtual VOGONS forum, hah!

Reply 1 of 6, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I saw that too. The first thing I thought of was this guy:

Yo-Dawg.jpg
Filename
Yo-Dawg.jpg
File size
17.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote:

Maybe they'll release an expansion pack with 386s and Sound Blasters.

If they do this, they'll have to also build in segments of the game where you scour eBay for endless hours and dig through disgusting scrap heaps to find rare items. 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 6, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the fun or IRQ conflicts and trying to find the right drivers before PCI IDs were a thing! Hooray!

Yeah I've seen this before, and I just don't get it... at... all... What is the fun of pretending to install an $800 graphics card into a virtual computer? It can't suddenly run anything your actual computer couldn't run. So you're just.. what.. living vicariously like you had an infinite balance at New Egg? Hey, whatever floats your boat I guess. 😀

It would be kind of cool if the hot-rod PC OEMs used this as a configuration tool, though. You could specify the hardware you want, and I suppose even how you want it installed.

Reply 6 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote:

I foresee an incoming 486 DLC where you can make your virtual motherboard snap into two pieces by trying to insert virtual VLB cards for extra realistic "gameplay"!

You mean, 486DLC DLC?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.