VOGONS

First post, by BreakPoint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have problems with this board:
http://f5soft.com/pics/2019-06/1.JPG

I do not have original PSU, only standard AT PSU. Is it possible to boot this board using AT PSU?

My CPU collection - Looking for hardware in Ukraine - Ukraine vintage PC forum

Reply 1 of 9, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A normal AT PSU might not be enough, usually they have 2 connectors called P8 and P9, while here it needs one with 3 (so P8 P9 and P10).
I can't tell you if connecting only the P8 and P9 functions.
Perhaps with an ATX PSU and an AT adapter it could be the solution, but you should find one with the P10, or else modify one and add it (knowing which wires to use).
Looking at the motherboard I think it's an IBM Intellistation, maybe there are 2 similar types, yours could be a Z Pro or 6899.
You should also have the Riser card to install a PCI Video Card, I don't see integrated VGAs by eye.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 2 of 9, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is the manual:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/commercial_desktop/6899tim.pdf

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 3 of 9, by BreakPoint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It took me 1.5 years of struggle to start this board.
One year i spent to find of original IBM PC 365 PSU. But no luck, few POST codes after power on and then silence.
I tried few dozens of different memory modules with no success. But few days ago one "gold scrap" fan offered me few interesting memory modules. I gave it a shot and god damn it works!

So there are 2 conclusions to be made:
1. This board requires two extra 3V power supply. So only oroginal PSU will do the job. It does not work with standard AT PSUs.
2. It does not works with any SDRAM. Looks like it requires rare SDRAM with EDO chips.

Attachments

• IMG_2839.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2839.JPG
    File size
    229.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My CPU collection - Looking for hardware in Ukraine - Ukraine vintage PC forum

Reply 4 of 9, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SDR-Sdram is SDR-SDram. Usually found in DIMM-layout. DIMM or SIMM is just the type of form factor. It has nothing to do with the type of memory on the PCB, just the physical characteristics.

What you need is EDO-Ram in dimm-layout. It used to be quite common on Ebay. Just make sure you know which voltage and speed (50 or 60ns) to look for.

Reply 5 of 9, by remotivi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Can you elaborate what is the difference between the original PC365 / intellistation PSU compare to the AT PSU?
I have the AT PSU with similar power connector as attached (P8, P9, P10) and 5vsb + PSON 3 pin connector, I wonder how can I connect the standby power + pson to the board.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Acer had some weird crap like that in their circa 98 prebuilts. Though that's only by seeing it looking the same, no idea if it was wired identically.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 9, by remotivi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am looking at the manual, it seems that there's a 5V auxiliary power next to the power switch connector on the motherboard (close to the PS2 ports).
Is this the one that supplies the 5V standby and ps-on power as in the ATX power supply?