VOGONS

First post, by windi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I've had a problem, where my AWE32 has a real Yamaha OPL3 chip, but only 512kB RAM without expansion possibilities. I also have a AWE64 which has enough ram for good soundfonts, but it has the CQM chip which sounds horrible in old adlib games.

I was thinking that the OPL3LPT adapter might be a good solution for sticking to the better wavetable, because with the TSR old 16bit games would output to the real printer port OPL and with 32bit support doesn't matter because I would use those with wavetable anyway.

I'm just asking do you have experience if this combo would work in practice? Does it matter that the real sound card occupies the adlib ports, when loading and using the OPL3LPT tsr? Is sound output to both the card and lpt, or just to lpt? Or does it conflict and crash?

Reply 1 of 1, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’m being lazy and not doing my research but I know there’s a newly made OPL3 card on the market which doesn’t need a TSR, it just sits on the regular FM address. Given you can disable just about everything with the AWE64 I think that would be a better option. Of course you’d need 2 ISA slots for that so that might be a problem for you.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.