VOGONS

First post, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I got a Pentium 3 build here: Re: FB Marketplace Gateway Rebuild - Beginner Build Log! <--- Specs there

Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck having a network card installed. It will reach Windows 98 desktop before it freezes (mouse can move, audio from windows 98se plays), this happens with 3 different diff cards, 2 gigabit and 1 fast ethernet.

Xuxseylm.jpg

Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter / StarTech Gigabit / 3Com Fast EtherLink XL

I honestly dont know how to start troubleshooting IRQ stuff if people suspect thats what it is? On previous installs the network cards work fine without the Aureal installed at the same time. Def not an expert so appreciate any pointers.

Last edited by donhonk on 2019-06-23, 02:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try different slots, will likely give you a different IRQ. Failing that, try disabling devices in the BIOS.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 15, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried disabling all built in motherboard features, (parallel port, etc) and swapping ports around with both the sound card and Ethernet card and no dice. Now windows 98 locks up with only the sound card inserted. I’ve had nothing but trouble with the Aureal playing nice. Not sure if it’s a problem with the hardware.

Got it back to booting by removing the USB card that was previously just working fine. Don’t really see it as a solution since I’d like some media method outside of CD’s and floppies.

EDIT: USB card is working again, did tons of PCI slot swapping to no avail. Also updated BIOS just incase, but no go.

Reply 3 of 15, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reset BIOS defaults / clear CMOS. Then try the very last PCI slot at the bottom of the motherboard with just the sound card only installed. (and AGP GPU of course) I have an Audigy2 ZS that will not work on a Pentium III system with an Abit VT6X4 -- either the sound card wasn't recognized or the system would hang. The last PCI slot worked. I could then install other PCI cards in the system.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 15, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote:

Reset BIOS defaults / clear CMOS. Then try the very last PCI slot at the bottom of the motherboard with just the sound card only installed. (and AGP GPU of course) I have an Audigy2 ZS that will not work on a Pentium III system with an Abit VT6X4 -- either the sound card wasn't recognized or the system would hang. The last PCI slot worked. I could then install other PCI cards in the system.

Gotcha, Ill give that a shot, thanks!

Reply 6 of 15, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put the computer back into a state where it will fully boot into the OS. (remove cards or whatever you have to do) Then load WinDriver Debug Monitor on it, especially at the next boot and install cards one at a time. Are you sure it isn't being caused by a driver hang, or some other hardware problem? Can you boot into Safe Mode with the cards installed?

My Github

Reply 7 of 15, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It does indeed boot into safe mode with the cards installed, Ill try that stuff next!

EDIT: Oh how do I get WinDriver Debug Monitor going?

Are you sure it isn't being caused by a driver hang, or some other hardware problem?

Not ruling out anything, if people lean towards it being a driver, or hardware issue then I'll definitely look in that direction. To me it seems driver related, but again I dont know how to troubleshoot that. The debug monitor thing sounds like the right start for that.

Reply 8 of 15, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With Safe Mode working, that tells me it is a driver problem, or IRQ problem.

Also, I'm mistaken.. WinDriver Debug Monitor only works for Windows CE. I am mixing up programs I used back in college.

For checking Windows 98 boot problems with hardware/drivers, look here: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/get-it-d … -and-utilities/

My Github

Reply 11 of 15, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would try the Reset Configuration Data setting in the BIOS.

Also, I've had problems with sound cards in similar VIA boards and I found that the only (absolute ONLY) PCI slot that worked was the 3rd slot down. All other slots created conflicts with the IDE controller or other things that could not be disabled. Resetting configuration data was also required to make it work.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 12 of 15, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I would try the Reset Configuration Data setting in the BIOS.

Also, I've had problems with sound cards in similar VIA boards and I found that the only (absolute ONLY) PCI slot that worked was the 3rd slot down. All other slots created conflicts with the IDE controller or other things that could not be disabled. Resetting configuration data was also required to make it work.

Tried this, 3rd slot and reset config data. Unfortunately a no go on that. Still odd that its not making a bootlog.txt so I'm going to reinstall Windows 98 SE again with a fresh disk instead of my old one:

iQsYhibm.jpg

On the off chance that something on the disc isnt quite working? Idk if thats even possible but hey might as well try anything! Going to install cards one at a time, only the voodoo 5 is in the machine right now. Anyone have a suggestion of order of operations? (Aureal first, etc?) Additional notes: Disabled mobo's built in legacy audio stuff. Any other suggestions in BIOS?

EDIT: I’m dumb, bootlog was a hidden file

Reply 13 of 15, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok here’s an update, I reinstalled Windows 98, installed the Aureal and Network card without issue. I explicitly didn’t install the Voodoo drivers.

After confirming the cards were just fine, I installed the latest reference drivers for the Voodoo 5 and it’s back to locking up. So that’s interesting, does anyone have any insight to why that might be? This whole time I assumed it was the network and sound card interacting causing the issue.

Reply 14 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bootlog is a hidden file, so if you haven't enabled the option to show hidden things you'll not see it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 15 of 15, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote:

Bootlog is a hidden file, so if you haven't enabled the option to show hidden things you'll not see it.

Yeah I did an edit, I feel dumb 🤣!

But yeah it appears some sort of interaction with the voodoo45-10400.exe drivers from Phil here: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-voodoo-5.html

Something to do with that is causing a lock up it seems?

gbHAUztm.jpg

Ok heres the bootlog it gives me when I have the sound card / network card installed. These errors go away when I remove the Aureal and/or the Ethernet card. From some light googling it seems like driver / IRQ conflict. I''ve gone through and assigned loads of different IRQs to try and solve it but I just cant seem to. Maybe theres some magic combo of PCI slots and IRQ assignments Im missing, but I lack the knowledge to really get there.

About ready to give up on the idea of a Tualatin board with ISA and these specific components as I'm just not having a good go at this.