VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen on ebay several devices meant to adapt old gameport joysticks to be able to connect to the usb ports of a modern PC (and presumably older MIDI devices, as well).

But I don't see the reverse. Are there any devices out there to allow you to use a USB joystick with an older computer?
Well, I know there's a PCI USB card that I suppose could be used under Win95/98 to connect a USB joystick.
But is there anything that would let you connect a USB joystick to the gameport of a vintage soundcard? Or a USB MIDI device (like a musical keyboard) to the gameport of a vintage soundcard?

Reply 1 of 6, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen the other way around, gameport to usb but I don't think what you're after exists

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 2 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this will be a highly specific and complicated device. You would need to decode and interpret the joystick‘s protocol. There have been people reverse engineering this. So you won’t need to start from scratch. Then you need to translate the axis values into analogue electrical signals. Old Joysticks for PCs used potentiometers which would charge capacitors on the game card. The time it took for this would be proportional to the axis position. So your converter would need a DAC or some PWM to simulate this.

Regarding MIDI: did I miss something? I thought MIDI cables didn’t change in the last 40 years…?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 6, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd be happy with just digital / d-pad support to two PlayStation controllers or even 9-pin Atari/Amiga/Megadrive pads. For now, a gameport splitter and two 90s control pads are still working.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 4 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BushLin wrote:

I'd be happy with just digital / d-pad support to two PlayStation controllers or even 9-pin Atari/Amiga/Megadrive pads. For now, a gameport splitter and two 90s control pads are still working.

I actually have an adapter from 9-pin Atari to 15-pin gameport. It works like a dream for arcade-style games, with the slight limitation that the best Atari-style joysticks only have one button, where most PC games need at least two.

Reply 5 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:

Or a USB MIDI device (like a musical keyboard) to the gameport of a vintage soundcard?

USB "MIDI" is not simply MIDI signals sent through a USB port. Inside the keyboard is a USB (from/to) MIDI interface that converts the MIDI signals to something that can be sent over USB.

If you want MIDI to your gameport, use the MIDI IN/OUT ports on the keyboard and a MIDI to gameport cable.

Reply 6 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

USB HID has a standard interface for MIDI devices just as DOS systems usually had the MPU-401 interface. If the USB controller is built into the synthesizer device, a USB interface could conceivably deliver MIDI data without ever utilizing a MIDI current loop or classical serial encoding.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder