VOGONS

First post, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Folks, I had an idea of combining some HD floppy ROM with XT-IDE BIOS, putting that into an EPROM socked on a LAN card, and have both HD floppy and CF card support on my XT board.

Well, it sort of works, but not really. I can see both ROMs executed, but they don't play together well. The system hangs when booting from either CF card or floppy.

I've tried latest XT-IDE BIOS configured for 16bit controller in 8bit mode, and I've tried two HD floppy ROMs - Sergey's, and Kouwell. I can confirm Sergey's ROM works when alone.

The question is - does someone use similar combination, and if yes, could you share your ROM with me?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 1, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, so just if someone is interested. It turned out that most of my CF cards were formatted on 386 system using the native BIOS IDE support on the board - and that was somehow incompatible with the combination of XT-IDE and HD Floppy BIOS. I used Linux and dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc (or whatever the CF card was) to overwrite it with zeros, then using the same 386 with native floppy support and XT-IDE BIOS to partition and format the CF card, and then I was able to use the card together with HD floppy BIOS on XT.

I take it as the CF cards were partitioned using CHS and that confused XT-IDE BIOS to such extent it actually crashed 😀

BTW: I am using Kouwell HD floppy BIOS - it seems to autodetect the floppy type and doesn't bother with that F2 message on every boot like Sergey's HD floppy BIOS does.