VOGONS

First post, by ThatRetroDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a 5,25" Floppy Drive for my MS-DOS machine, but it doesn't work; it gives me a 'not ready' error when trying to read it. I do not know if the switches are correct because I don't have the manual. Could someone help me identify this drive and the problem? (Photo's of the drive included).
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg
image0.jpg

Reply 2 of 12, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see some crud on some of the traces that may or may not be corrosion in the second photo. A bit of alcohol may clean that enough to know if the traces need to be jumped.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 3 of 12, by ThatRetroDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

Any chance of a better pic of the sticker on the rotating circle? That's your model number...

20190623_074931.jpg
Here you go. A google search only shows motors and other stuff. I just want to know why it doesn't give a ready signal and how I need to set those dip switches.

Reply 4 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No image. Did the seller tell you what capacity this drive is? Could well be a 360k drive if you are trying 1.2meg disks in it. What is the specs of the system you are testing it on?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 12, by ThatRetroDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

No image. Did the seller tell you what capacity this drive is? Could well be a 360k drive if you are trying 1.2meg disks in it. What is the specs of the system you are testing it on?

It’s an 1,2 meg drive. I don’t have 1,2MB disks though. The specs are: Intel 80486DX2 @66mHz, 4MB RAM, 430MB HDD, Soundblaster 16, Winbond PTI-255W I/O card and a Trident 7343L video card. And I have some L2 cache installed as well. I’ve also tried it in my Pentium D machine, but no luck there either.

Reply 6 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you using a 360k disk to test it? Do you know the disk is formatted? What was the disk used in previously?

Reply 7 of 12, by ThatRetroDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

Are you using a 360k disk to test it? Do you know the disk is formatted? What was the disk used in previously?

I’m trying to reformat an empty commodore disk to FAT. I only have commodore 5,25” disks... It is a DS-DD disk though.

Reply 8 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1.2meg drives really aren't that good at formating/writing 360k or smaller disks. Ok for reading though. You might have some one local who is into older systems that can provide some serviceable 1.2meg disks. Where abouts are you?

Reply 9 of 12, by ThatRetroDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

1.2meg drives really aren't that good at formating/writing 360k or smaller disks. Ok for reading though. You might have some one local who is into older systems that can provide some serviceable 1.2meg disks. Where abouts are you?

I live in the Netherlands. And I’m unaware of any other person that has a DOS PC or floppies that I can use.

Reply 11 of 12, by ThatRetroDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retropol wrote:

are you sure it is 1.2? looks like very old floppy from 80,s.

Well it says ‘floppy disk fail’ if I set it to 360 in the bios. So I think it’s an 1,2MB model. It boots into DOS fine if I set it to 1,2mb

Reply 12 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amazon have high density floppies available https://www.amazon.com/High-Density-5-25-Flop … s/dp/B00JASUCWE