Reply 40 of 43, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats a Windows 95 computer.
So I would start with that.

I have a IBM Aptiva 200mhz computer.
I left it all original but added a Sound Blaster 16 sound card or Maybe it was an AWE64.
32mb of ram is enough to play most games.
Its base configuration is good enough to play most DOS games. It just needs a compatible sound blaster 16 sound card.
AWE64 is a good choice.

Attachments

• aptiva2.jpeg
    Filename
    aptiva2.jpeg
    File size
    35.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • aptiva1.jpeg
    Filename
    aptiva1.jpeg
    File size
    33.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 42 of 43, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DoutorHouse wrote on 2020-04-27, 20:32:
Sorry for reviving this thread, but i just acquired a second-hand IBM Aptiva (model 2134-440) and apparently the psu was faulty. […]
Show full quote

Sorry for reviving this thread, but i just acquired a second-hand IBM Aptiva (model 2134-440) and apparently the psu was faulty...

It worked great for a few days, then the computer started randomly freezing, and displaying garbled images, etc. First, I thought it could be an issue with one of the ISA/PCI cards i was using, so I tried a bunch of different PCI vga cards... Was still getting the same random freezes.
Then I decided to test the computer without any cards, just using 1 slot of ram and booting using the internal video card. The random problems continued, so I started to think they had nothing to do with the ISA/PCI cards.

Now i'm 99% positive it's the power supply unit so i decided to remove it: the PSU fan seemed to work fine, etc, but the whole unit always seemed "cold"... Maybe that's a sign that it's damaged or maybe they never heat much...

That's when i noticed it's an unusual PSU. I took a bunch of pictures of the mainboard before disconnecting the PSU, because i'm really no expert at trying stuff like this, but now I can't use a regular PSU i have from another computer, to replace it as it is missing some connections...

I'm especially worried about that Power Supply Aux. 3-pin connector right next to the Power Supply 2-pin connector (on/off switch)... From what i can tell, most modern PSUs don't have that one...
Even that cable shown on one of the posts above doesn't have the 3-pin connector, i think...

Maybe there's a way to fix this? I thought of buying an exact same model but they all seem older than mine and could be faulty too... I'm really open to suggestions here and really could use some help and advices, maybe on how to add a modern psu to this old IBM! Thanks!!!

Remove these two logic parity memory modules (the bottom most slots) this is these pair of memory modules with square chip in middle. And try again.

The logic parity modules get around the need for parity memory chips (costly back in the day) but is problematic with many boards.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 43 of 43, by Bedfford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Curently I'm working on my own 2134-L32. I share my experience points about this machine:

1) Do i need to change the jumpers in order of install an pentium 200 MMX?, Which configuration?, Could i install an pentium 233 MMX?.
A: My cpu is a Pentium MMX 166 overclocked at 200mhz (with the mobo jumpers)

2) What is the recommended amount of RAM for DOS games, and mid early 90's WIN 95 games?.
A: for DOS game not sure, but I use 4x32MB = 128MB @ 60ns. But this can cause some complicf with the video memory.

3) Would this L2 cache module work in my IBM APTIVA? (the manual says that it must have 160 connectors, 64 bits, and 15ns):
A: I use a 512kb of L2 cache, but my module is other FRU number:42h2781

4) I've thought about an soundblaster AWE64 according of some things i had read around here, but my question is, Wich sound card reachs the most an roland MT-32 without external hardware?
A: Still searching the same roland mt-32 😀

5) I need an SVGA card, but i don't know if there is any specialized with an 2D engine, or something anti-sttutering... What about the VESA standart problem?, Is there any card that includes ir by hardware?.
6) I think an voodoo 2 is allright working together with the 2D graphics card... Is there any 2D/3D all in one recommended out there?.
A: I tested 3 PCI cards in this machine: Creative Blaster Banshee (16MB) , Matrox M200 G200 (8MB) , IO-DATA VDB16 (16MB) . The 16MB card breaks the POST memory checks. This can be disabled from BIOS. Also appears some conflicts with the 128mb of max system memory at the moment of Win98 installation. I remove a couple of modules of RAM until finish the setup, then using MSCONFIG limit to 128 the total amount of system RAM and later add the removed modules.

7) Old HDD's are pretty noisy, Could i install a modern one? (formatted with maximun directionable of a 32 bit machine, of course).
A: At this time, the only adapter that work with my machine is a IDE-SATA (+SSD). Other adapter cards like CF or SD cause some corruptions, BSOD and other failures. Not sure why.

😎 I consider important to change the power supply... Is a modern one valid?.
A: the problem here is the size and shape of this PSU to put inside the machine. Maybe using a pico-atx adapter and some external power supply...?

Bedfford.