VOGONS

First post, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Decided I wanted a "top notch" dos and Win98 machine, and decided to go for a P3 machine, as it appears to be the latest where ISA support was available.

Got a Soltek SL-65KV2 mb with a 1GHz cpu installed, and 2x256mb ram(ram and cpu bought separately from mb).
Graphics is a Geforce 4 card, but have also tried a generic pci Cirrus Logic card of some kind, with the same result.

Not familiar with Soltek boards, but got this as it was reasonable, and it has a ISA slot for a sound card in dos.

Problem is that for most of the time it doesn't boot. Appears to be completely dead.
Tried 3 different power supplies, and no difference between them. All of them fairly modern, from a few months old, up to 5 years or so old.

Once in a while, I can get life into it, and all fans start, but no picture on screen.
I have managed to get it to boot 3-4 times, where I can enter bios, but of those 2 times the computer has frozen.

Looked over the motherboard, but can't really see anything obvious.
Neither can I find for why it will boot one time, but not the other.
Seems to be more random, rather than something with a pattern, at least as far as I have found.

Reply 1 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soltek boards had a bad case of capacitor plague around this time, so that would be my first suspicion, particularly as behaviour isn't consistent.

One thing to try (given it has dipswitches) is to significantly underclock the board, so run it at 7.5x66MHz=500MHz instead of 7.5x133MHz. If it does work then, try 100MHz FSB. If that also works, check that RAM as it's probably the limiting factor. Try each of the two DIMMs separately. If it's still unstable at 66MHz FSB, I'd bet on the caps.

Reply 3 of 3, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could not set it to 66MHz, as that is auto config, but by setting dip switches to 7.5, it now boots at 1GHz every time.
I had set it to auto.

Works fine with 2x256mb ram as well.
So can finally continue with my build 😀