VOGONS

First post, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still sitting on that graphics card that I hastily bought, and it seems the 1.4ghz Tualatins are about $20 now so it got me thinking since Windows 2000 supports 2 CPUs and more RAM I could switch to a dual socket mb, pair of 1.4ghz chips, 1.5-2gb SDRAM and have both a killer W2k experience as well as a crazy good Windows Me or 98SE experience by limiting Windows to 512mb for stability.

Do you guys think this would be a pretty solid rig?

At the moment I'm using a TUSL2-C, 1.13ghz Tualatin, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, and Quadro 2 Pro as I was going for approximately the best hardware from ~ late 2000/2001.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 1 of 5, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalm_traveler wrote:

I'm still sitting on that graphics card that I hastily bought, and it seems the 1.4ghz Tualatins are about $20 now so it got me thinking since Windows 2000 supports 2 CPUs and more RAM I could switch to a dual socket mb, pair of 1.4ghz chips, 1.5-2gb SDRAM and have both a killer W2k experience as well as a crazy good Windows Me or 98SE experience by limiting Windows to 512mb for stability.

At the moment I'm using a TUSL2-C, 1.13ghz Tualatin, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, and Quadro 2 Pro as I was going for approximately the best hardware from ~ late 2000/2001.

W2K runs great on dual systems.
But period software that takes advantage of it is rare.
And >1GB memory is hilarious overkill unless you need to run every program installed at the same time =)
Again assuming you stick to period correct stuff.

Reply 2 of 5, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote:
W2K runs great on dual systems. But period software that takes advantage of it is rare. And >1GB memory is hilarious overkill un […]
Show full quote
kalm_traveler wrote:

W2K runs great on dual systems.
But period software that takes advantage of it is rare.
And >1GB memory is hilarious overkill unless you need to run every program installed at the same time =)
Again assuming you stick to period correct stuff.

Thank you - I may try to go that route just for something to do.

This TUSL2-C's rear USB ports have something wrong (voltage is ~ 2v instead of 5v) even after replacing the socket and I'm not sure where else the problem would be since the internal USB header works properly., also I've just finally realized why the PLED wouldn't turn on, 2 small resistors down there by the front panel header have been sheared off.

So I can either carry on with a semi-broken motherboard or just spend a little bit more and get a crazy nuts overkill retro rig 😀

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 3 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do most my Win9x gaming on my Duel Slot 1 in Win2k.
The catch with WIn2k is games take a bit of a performance hit compared with Win98, but the faster hardware gets round that anyway.

The 2nd CPU doesn't really offer much benefit performance wise, but personal satisfaction wise its definitely worth it.

Adding your results here is a good excuse to build it
quake3 SMP-scaling thread…

Reply 4 of 5, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
I do most my Win9x gaming on my Duel Slot 1 in Win2k. The catch with WIn2k is games take a bit of a performance hit compared wit […]
Show full quote

I do most my Win9x gaming on my Duel Slot 1 in Win2k.
The catch with WIn2k is games take a bit of a performance hit compared with Win98, but the faster hardware gets round that anyway.

The 2nd CPU doesn't really offer much benefit performance wise, but personal satisfaction wise its definitely worth it.

Adding your results here is a good excuse to build it
quake3 SMP-scaling thread…

Wow!

Ok done and done. I ordered a Tyan dual socket 370 Tualatin compatible board, two 1.4ghz chips, 2gb RAM last night.

Can't wait to get this newer setup going with the Quadro FX 4000 SDI. I may take the plunge on a new 1900 x 1200 monitor for it as well since I'm having trouble tracking down a Samsung 214T 1600 x 1200 screen.

Thanks for the motivation and Quake 3 benchmark!