VOGONS

First post, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons

I have four cards that I would love to get working, but the diagnostics and repair involved is beyond my skill set.

The cards in question:

Gainward Geforce FX5900 (No picture, fans spin, only light in one fan)
Hercules 3D Prophet Geforce 2 Ti (No picture, but fan spins)
ASUS V7700 TI/VX Geforce 2 Ti (Memory problem, distorted picture)
Creative Voodoo Banshee (Memory problem, distorted picture)

If you are interested and have the skill to diagnose and repair the cards, please let me know. You will of course be compensated for the work.

Best
Kasper

Reply 1 of 5, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Too bad you live across almost whole Europe, I would gladly help.

firstly I would test Capacitors, start from the slot side, those are for power management mostly. Even if they appear ok the electrolyte can be evaporated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 2 of 5, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Violett'Blossom wrote:

firstly I would test Capacitors, start from the slot side, those are for power management mostly. Even if they appear ok the electrolyte can be evaporated.

Where in Europe? I could ship the cards if that could be an option

Reply 3 of 5, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skanque wrote:
Violett'Blossom wrote:

Where in Europe? I could ship the cards if that could be an option

Theoretically it would be, Czech republic. 😊

Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

Reply 4 of 5, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Kasper from Denmark,
Not regarding your problem, I think I sold you some time ago a broken Lucky Star Banshee on eBay... I wanted to know what happened to the card 😀
Please forgive me if I'm mistaken

Reply 5 of 5, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote:

Hi Kasper from Denmark,
Not regarding your problem, I think I sold you some time ago a broken Lucky Star Banshee on eBay... I wanted to know what happened to the card 😀
Please forgive me if I'm mistaken

Hello Aronkatrini

Sorry for the late response, I had forgot this post until i recently got a new card with problems.
The card lives up to its name.. it haunts me..
Your Banshee, was the first card I tried to repair, myself.. I tried to heat it up to get the solder to flow again. It worked, but not perfect, so I tried again.. but the second time.. i accidentally moved the card and the 3dfx main chip moved... so its dead now... but I keep it around.

Best
Kasper