VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Sony Vaio PCG laptop with an Athlon 800 CPU.
I want to know how to clone the hard-drive for replacement.

The laptop has a USB port but I don’t think it is bootable.

Can I perform a windows system backup to a NAS drive and then restore from that ?
But actually, I would like and ISO image of this hard-drive.

Reply 1 of 3, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Norton \ Symantec Ghost images are pretty much bulletproof. There's an option to split the image to fit on CD or DVD if you don't want one big file.
My current preferred way of running is from a Win7 based Windows PE bootable USB but you can also boot from CD or DVD. Can image to USB, network share or skip the image file and image straight to the target drive.
Hiren's boot CD 10.6 is a bit old now but included an XP based PE boot and Ghost and still works great, if a little bit slower. Even has the option to run the 16-bit version from DOS with networking too.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 3, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CloneZilla is also an option (IIRC it may be possible to boot to CloneZilla from the network, that if your laptop's NIC supports PXE boot)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]