VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone run a old network card like Intel EtherExpress(TM) PRO/10 ?
I have installed a "Intel EtherExpress(TM) PRO/10" module for my computer and all drivers are working and i can see the device in my network, but for some reasone, the device ( tested two of them ) seems not be able to receive packets ( packets input ), im thinking that maybe the card expects a twisted cable to be able to connect to a switch.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before with a 10mbit card from 94~.

From my switch when i try to run dhcp:

GigabitEthernet0/24 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is 2401.c7c4.c298 (bia 2401.c7c4.c298)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Half-duplex, 10Mb/s, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX
input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last input 5w5d, output 00:00:01, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:01:21
Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 5000 bits/sec, 4 packets/sec
0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts (0 multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
315 packets output, 65112 bytes, 0 underruns

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're connecting via UTP (and not BNC or AUI), the card expects a twisted pair cable - but you switch is reporting link (at 10Mbps half duplex) over one of its RJ45 connectors, so it looks like you have UTP connected...

Could you perhaps elaborate on what you mean there? Exactly what kind of cable(s) and media converters are you using? Also, which operating system are you using the card with?

It looks like that is a nice managed switch, probably one that could do a span/mirror port so you can capture traffic over the port connected to the card on a different computer running Wireshark. You can follow the handshake (or lack thereof) there. Does the DHCP discover reach your DHCP server and are you sure it is sending an offer in response?

As for 10MbE, I have basically all my vintage PCs networked and with DOS and ISA that means 10Mbps. It works fine, except in rare cases of network hardware not supporting 10MbE speeds/voltages (Comtrend PLC adapters...). Your switch seems to explicitly support 10/100/1000BaseTX so that shouldn't be an issue.

Reply 2 of 6, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking about a adaper like:
https://www.amazon.com/LINDY-Crossover-Adapte … 4/dp/B001NYC6LI

With pkttool i can only see that im sending packets but not receiving anything, the cable works with any other new devices with a response from the dhcp server.

Thats why i was thinking about crossover adapter since it seems to be sending without problem but cant receive anything.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 3 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tabm0de wrote:

That's to turn a straight cable into a crossover cable - not anything to do with the medium being twisted pair or not...

If it is straight vs crossover you're worried about: connecting a NIC to a switch normally requires a straight cable, but any even remotely modern switch implements auto-MDX so doesn't care.

With pkttool i can only see that im sending packets but not receiving anything, the cable works with any other new devices with a response from the dhcp server.

Thats why i was thinking about crossover adapter since it seems to be sending without problem but cant receive anything.

Sounds like a job for Wireshark on the mirror port. I'm not convinced those packets are actually hitting the line.

Reply 4 of 6, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tested wireshark, i cant see anything coming from the computer sadly, tried both card with same result, i can se its connected and see that the brand is compaq but cant get any data transmitted sadly.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 5 of 6, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe you have a half damaged IC or transformer due to ESD or thunderstorm, that is quite common. You may try old BSD/Linux distro to verify card is working, or probe with oscilloscope if you have any actual signals.