VOGONS

First post, by croton64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
i've found an Acer PZ25D, came with a 486sx/25 and it's mostly complete and good overall shape, cleaned up and reassembled it.
As soon as i've pushed the start button, monitor came on...but i hear no sound, not even a beep, nor the PSU fan (will check this), i've pushed it off ASAP so wasn't able to read BIOS string on the screen

I've checked online for manual or jumper settings for the motherboard, it seems to be a V6 mobo... but i've found only a diagram about it and it seems to be at least three versions.

If anyone has or had such a system and could upload the manual or could point me in the right search path to find it, i'll be grateful.

mobo.jpg
Filename
mobo.jpg
File size
687.29 KiB
Views
File comment
V6 [G | L | ?]
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
biosV.jpg
Filename
biosV.jpg
File size
638.38 KiB
Views
File license

It also came with this board, seems to be an ethernet adapter, but besides utp and coaxial connectors, it also has something akin to a game port.. so it should be some kind of capture device i think. Wish to look the driver but i can't identify the thing

card.jpg
Filename
card.jpg
File size
653.93 KiB
Views
File comment
Model?
File license

Regards

Reply 2 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

486's under 66 Mhz are pretty tough, You can leave it on longer if that's what your worried about.
Good thing about AT Power supplies is that you can use them even if disconnected from everything. I would expect the fan to work in that as soon as it had power, but event then wouldn't think it would get hot enough in the first few seconds to check bios for any info

Reply 3 of 9, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is an old post but...

I have one of these motherboards given to me and i decided to test my wash technique on it. It still works but i dont have the pinout for the White Keyboard connector or FP LED that are just below the L2 cache sockets. Can Anyone help! Also the setup utility would be of help when i get a keyboard hooked up!

ACER.jpg
Filename
ACER.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File comment
Motherboard
File license

Of interest its got 4MB on board Ram and 256KB Cache...

ACER2.jpg
Filename
ACER2.jpg
File size
804.69 KiB
Views
File comment
Boot
File license

Reply 4 of 9, by croton64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.sbaitso wrote:

The 'game port' on your network card is probably an AUI connector used for 10BASE5 ethernet. Seems based on a natsemi/ti 8390 chipset, which was common as muck on ne2k clone cards.

Thanks for the info, never knew that conector existed.

chinny22 wrote:

486's under 66 Mhz are pretty tough, You can leave it on longer if that's what your worried about.
Good thing about AT Power supplies is that you can use them even if disconnected from everything. I would expect the fan to work in that as soon as it had power, but event then wouldn't think it would get hot enough in the first few seconds to check bios for any info

I've changed the fan and seems to be working good, with no load it starts but makes coil whine.. so maybe i've to check it better, although voltages seems fine.
Anyway, once connected it starts ok.. but it shows no much more info than BIOS version

20190716_205303_24408.jpg
Filename
20190716_205303_24408.jpg
File size
55.93 KiB
Views
File comment
biosVersion
File license
flakes wrote:

I know this is an old post but...
I have one of these motherboards given to me and i decided to test my wash technique on it. It still works but i dont have the pinout for the White Keyboard connector or FP LED that are just below the L2 cache sockets. Can Anyone help! Also the setup utility would be of help when i get a keyboard hooked up!

It seems you have a newer revision than mine, better VideoCard and full video memory as well.
Do not have the proper pinout for FP.. but these images can help you with the wiring.

20190827_213204.jpg
Filename
20190827_213204.jpg
File size
48.89 KiB
Views
File comment
frontPanel
File license
20190827_213231.jpg
Filename
20190827_213231.jpg
File size
85.44 KiB
Views
File comment
boardConnector
File license

LightBlue wire is behind orange one.

Keyboard connector otoh (last image on the right), goes directly into a board with a pair of PS2 females on it, i could take a picture if you wish..but don't know how useful may it be.

Regards

Reply 5 of 9, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi croton64
Thanks for the Photos. is there any chance you can take a photo of the connectors on the other end of the Black Keyboard Lead, It will help me work the Pin-out for that connector.

I managed to get mine to boot past that initial screen shown by having a working Floppy drive attached, But it asked me for a system disk and wouldn't take the MS-DOS boot Floppy. I will see how i go when i get a Keyboard hooked up.

As for your fan, I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. Mine is a DX33 without a fan and does not need it.

Reply 6 of 9, by croton64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flakes wrote:

Hi croton64
Thanks for the Photos. is there any chance you can take a photo of the connectors on the other end of the Black Keyboard Lead, It will help me work the Pin-out for that connector.

20190827_213231.jpg
Filename
20190827_213231.jpg
File size
85.44 KiB
Views
File comment
Mobo Side
File license
20190831_164209.jpg
Filename
20190831_164209.jpg
File size
72.58 KiB
Views
File comment
Ps2 Header
File license
20190831_164225.jpg
Filename
20190831_164225.jpg
File size
62.43 KiB
Views
File comment
Board back
File license

I managed to get mine to boot past that initial screen shown by having a working Floppy drive attached, But it asked me for a system disk and wouldn't take the MS-DOS boot Floppy. I will see how i go when i get a Keyboard hooked up.

Mine reads no input from keyboard so can't enter SETUP, need to check the ports and more info about jumper settings.. it keeps saying video card mismatch... but it's a soldered CL5422, there was no other video card.

As for your fan, I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. Mine is a DX33 without a fan and does not need it.

PSU fan was dead, wouldn't risk to blow it... as i can use it on other machine.

Regards

Reply 7 of 9, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for that.

I have now got the pinout and will work on the board this weekend.
For interest i have worked it to be:
1. Green - +5v (Ps2 Pin 4)
2. N/C
3. Red - Clock 1 (Ps2 Pin 5)
4. Grey - Data 1 (Ps2 Pin 1)
5. Black - Shield for Caps on Data Lines
6. Yellow - Ground (Ps2 Pin 3)
7. Brown - Clock 2 (Ps2 Pin 5)
8. Blue - Data 2 (Ps2 Pin 1)

It will matter what PS2 Port is used for Key and Mouse. If it dosnt work in 1 then try the other!

Of cause this data is for the PS2 end of the cable not the motherboard!

Reply 8 of 9, by croton64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flakes wrote:

It will matter what PS2 Port is used for Key and Mouse. If it dosnt work in 1 then try the other!

It's labeled on the case, there's no way to miss it (besides mini-board doesn't fit the other way)... anyway i've tested two keyboards with similar results... maybe the board or cables have some issues.

Will test cables first and then connectors according to the pinout you provided.
Thanks!

Reply 9 of 9, by kenny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys just passing by. If You are wanting to know more about ur Acer systemboards You should check this page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050306105726/ht … bin/systems.bat

I see ur V6 models are there too,
BR