VOGONS

First post, by Vikingo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm having this weid problem. Building a 386 with MSDOS 6.22 and everything works perfect except the floppy drive.

Some times, not allways when i change disks and type DIR it shows the same contents ad the previous disk. The only thing i do to fix this is a reboot but its pretty annoying.

Anyone experiences this or any clue where to look? Thanks in advance.

Follow me on twitter @cristian. 🤣

Reply 1 of 6, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

add the following line to your config.sys (assuming the drive is a 1.44MB set as A:)

DRIVPARM=/D:0 /F:7

this should (through omission of the /C switch) inform DOS that your drive does not support the Disk Changed line, so it will no longer assume the disk is the same every time

Reply 4 of 6, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does DOS actually cache the root directory or last-read FAT blocks, or something like that? I always thought it was too simple and miserly with RAM to bother, unless you ran smartdrv.

Reply 5 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could it be that there is a micro-switch in the drive that is sticking in the on position sometimes?

That is the only thing I can think of that would cause an intermittent issue like that.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vikingo wrote:

Thanks! It works. You think it can be the controller who not support disk change?

Definitely. I have this every time on my IBM LPX 486 motherboard (not sure what it's from, a late PS/1 or early Aptiva?). Drives (including my Gotek) are known-good and do the disk change thing on any other controller I have.