VOGONS

First post, by 4dam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
Today I've started project 386 😀 with this incomplete PC.

• - no graphics card
    - no HDD
    - no FDD
    - only 24x CD-ROM (working)
    - strange 200W psu
    - 386DX40 mobo
    - 8mb ram SIMM 72pins
    - added some GPU (triden 512kb) and working AT PSU, dosen't boot at all

I've started then, some restoration on visual side. Some cleaning.
I spread it into parts and it's time to fix the mobo...
Could you guys tell me what can I do with this strange "fix" by the last owner ?
I have another question about the PSU. Wich connector is proper for power vable ? The voltage switcher making things tricky. ^^
Wish me luck with this!

There will be a lot of work.

Attachments

Last edited by 4dam on 2019-07-21, 15:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Instagram Retro

Reply 1 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
4dam wrote:

Could you guys tell me what can I do with this strange "fix" by the last owner ?

That's not a fix but a very, very bad repair of a battery leakage. See the green stuff on the chips around? You have to remove all those and rework the damaged area.

4dam wrote:

I have another question about the PSU. Wich connector is proper for power vable ?

The power cable will only fit in one. The other connector is for powering a monitor.

Reply 2 of 8, by 4dam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
4dam wrote:

I have another question about the PSU. Wich connector is proper for power vable ?

derSammler wrote:

The power cable will only fit in one. The other connector is for powering a monitor.

Yup, but take a look. The connector that should be for monitor is with voltage switch. I'm asking because I'm not really sure that it isn't replaced or It should be connect with other type of cable to the power source. It will be better to check, how it looks inside. I will post photos when I'll do that for info.

Instagram Retro

Reply 3 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The voltage switch is for the whole PSU and nothing unusual. You set it according to your mains level. If you're in Europe, 220V is fine. If you're in the US, switch it over to 110/120V.

Reply 5 of 8, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
4dam wrote:

The connector that should be for monitor is with voltage switch.

Placement doesn't mean much, it's just what was convenient for the designers. But even if you somehow manage to get a cable with the wrong connector on it, it's in parallel with the input socket, so it doesn't actually matter which one is an input and which is an output.

Well.. OK, that's not totally true. The input usually passes through the power switch first to control both the output socket and the PSU itself. So if you were to accidentally stumble upon a rare power cord with the wrong connector, the power switch would do nothing except switch the now-useless "other" input, and the PC would stay on any time it's plugged in. Otherwise it would be fine.

Reply 6 of 8, by 4dam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for advices. In the meantime, I've retrobrited the front panel.
Looks nice I think. 😊

Attachments

Instagram Retro

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I prefer PC's with missing parts, forces you to think about what to put in it, rather then just going with whatever it happens to have installed already

Reply 8 of 8, by 4dam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

I prefer PC's with missing parts, forces you to think about what to put in it, rather then just going with whatever it happens to have installed already

Actually this computer dosen't have any HDD, floppy, graphic cards, just mobo, case and PSU. 😊

Instagram Retro