VOGONS

First post, by Mowdy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey is the 80486 33 MHz x2 with overdrive to 66 mhz as good as the normal 80486 66mhz cpu ?

Reply 3 of 9, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mowdy wrote:

And Will it support dos 6.22 finely ?

It will.

On a side note, I don't even know what the difference between DX2-66 and overdrive -66 is. Both run at 5V internally so the DX2 overdrive doesn't even have a VRM.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 4 of 9, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least in terms of marketing they are different:
The OverDrive was sold to end-users to upgrade their 486 machines with a faster CPU.
The regular 486DX2 was meant for new PCs, and was primarily sold to OEMs.

There may also be a physical difference in that an OverDrive has to work in an existing machine, meaning with the existing cooling solution. It may be that Intel cherry-picked the CPUs for this, so they could run only with the pre-installed heatsink, no extra CPU or case fan.
For the regular 486DX2, the OEM was responsible for adding the required cooling solution.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 9, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scali wrote:

There may also be a physical difference in that an OverDrive has to work in an existing machine, meaning with the existing cooling solution. It may be that Intel cherry-picked the CPUs for this, so they could run only with the pre-installed heatsink, no extra CPU or case fan.

Now that you say, that heatsink is rather skimpy. It was stable though whenever I tried such a DX2. The same goes for the DX4 overdrives (with VRM and a little beefier heatsink) and both ran quite hot. They can really use an extra fan, I guess.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 6 of 9, by DonFuego

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alvaro84 wrote:

Now that you say, that heatsink is rather skimpy. It was stable though whenever I tried such a DX2. The same goes for the DX4 overdrives (with VRM and a little beefier heatsink) and both ran quite hot. They can really use an extra fan, I guess.

They do run hot. I've installed a small fan from an old cpu cooler. The screws fit perfectly between the heatsink's "fins" on the Overdrive.

I'm building the Ultimate 1994 Demo Scene Machine. Specs so far:

* i486DX2/66 * 32 Mb FPM 2-1-1-1/0 WS RAM * Cirrus Logic 5428 VLB 1 Mb (suggestions?)
* Maxtor uMAX II 6 Gb HDD * 3Com 3C509B * SB Pro 16 * GUS Max 1 Mb

Reply 8 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Overdrive chips fit the overdrive socket next to a soldered sx25mhz processor.

Not all, some had additional pin and some don't. Overdrive without additional pin is just your regular DX2 with pre-installed cooler and it won't work on motherboards with soldered CPUs.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 9, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ODP is very different and incompatible

ODPR and DX2 are practically identical.

There are actually some subtle electrical differences between the regular DX2-66 and ODPR66. Such as a small difference in electrical tolerances and absence of JTAG boundary scan feature (and corresponding CPU pins) on the overdrive.

Also depending on which version of the overdrive (there were at least four versions of the ODPR66 product) and the DX2-66 chip you compare you might be looking at more differences, incl. stepping, support of SL mode, WB cache support, etc.

But none of these is relevant for normal operation unless you are a systems designer 😀

Blog|NexGen 586|S4