VOGONS

First post, by Kaleidoskop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I have an old 386 motherboard with a 386SX-20 soldered on. I've overclocked it to 25 MHz by replacing the 40 MHz oscillator with a 50 MHz one, but would like even more performance. I'm interested in replacing the oscillator with an 80 MHz part and then the 20 MHz QFP and replace with a 40 MHz part from Ebay. Any reason this wouldn't work? If I'm going this route, would it be smarter to choose a 40-DX type, if that's even possible? There's no cache on board.

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another SX part can be put there but not a DX due to completely different pinout and package.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, keep on mind that you may be throwing your ISA bus out of specs (unless it is clocked by another oscillator or YOUR BIOS can choose the bus speed).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No ISA bus runs at 20 MHz. There's either a fixed divider (based on CPU clock) or it's set in the BIOS. For 20 MHz, it's normally 1/2, so ISA runs at 10 MHz. For 25 MHz, it must be 1/3, so that the ISA bus runs at 8.33 MHz. If you leave it or can't change it, the ISA bus runs at 12.5 MHz, which almost no ISA card supports. 8.33 MHz is the standardized speed, 10 MHz is tolerated by most cards.

Reply 6 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

12MHz was about the limit for that 16-Bit Bus. Ironically, older AT-Bus cards from 86-90 or so might be more tolerant to high speeds.
But yes, the standardized 16-Bit card type we now know as "ISA" was frozen at ~8MHz, though. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

No ISA bus runs at 20 MHz. There's either a fixed divider (based on CPU clock) or it's set in the BIOS. For 20 MHz, it's normally 1/2, so ISA runs at 10 MHz. For 25 MHz, it must be 1/3, so that the ISA bus runs at 8.33 MHz. If you leave it or can't change it, the ISA bus runs at 12.5 MHz, which almost no ISA card supports. 8.33 MHz is the standardized speed, 10 MHz is tolerated by most cards.

That's what I mean. The ISA bus speed was usually taken from the main clock (using a divider), so changing the main clock will accelerate the bus (if your board used main oscillator for ISA bus, your cards are running 25% faster than before due to the change from 20 to 25 Mhz). On some boards, ISA had its own clock so changing main oscillator won't affect ISA bus.

As derSammler said, 10 Mhz is the highest stable speed in most cases and going beyond that wouldn't be advisable. Changing from 20 Mhz to 40 Mhz would mean a 100% overclock, so it's very likely that you computer won't start (thinking about that... are you sure that your mainboard chipset will be capable of such overclocking?).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!