VOGONS

First post, by RogrWilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks. This is my first post to these forums. Just starting my first retro build. Want to put together a classic 1993 PC to stoke that nostalgia. Pretty excited, it's all I can think about since I decided to start. Already sourced a case and a motherboard. Isn't that case a beauty?

Case Photo.jpg
Filename
Case Photo.jpg
File size
138.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Soyo SY-25N Photo.jpg
Filename
Soyo SY-25N Photo.jpg
File size
560.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unfortunately, I only realized after I bought the motherboard that it doesn't have any SRAM. Could you folks help me source something? I'll be running a 486DX/2-66 and 16 MB RAM, so not sure if I should install 128 or 256K of SRAM.

I'm looking at this item on eBay. https://tinyurl.com/y37kacbq.

Does this stuff look genuine or counterfeit to you folks? Also, I think the "15" denotes 15 ns, but the manual for my board seems to expect 20 ns. Would there be compatibility problems? Any other tips on sourcing this SRAM would be appreciated.

Thanks folks!

Reply 1 of 2, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogrWilco wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, I only realized after I bought the motherboard that it doesn't have any SRAM. Could you folks help me source something? I'll be running a 486DX/2-66 and 16 MB RAM, so not sure if I should install 128 or 256K of SRAM.

Not sure about exact figures, but the difference between no L2 and 128kB is going to be huge, the difference between 128kB and 256kB measurable but much smaller. Probably won't cost any more, so might as well do 256kB if you're at it.

I'm looking at this item on eBay. https://tinyurl.com/y37kacbq.

Does this stuff look genuine or counterfeit to you folks?

Really shitty photograph doesn't inspire confidence or allow close scrutiny, but I'd trust the USD 6.41 chips I see in "People who viewed this also viewed"-section a lot more. Either way they strike me as overpriced.

Also, I think the "15" denotes 15 ns, but the manual for my board seems to expect 20 ns. Would there be compatibility problems?

Those 15/20ns relate to cycle time. Less=shorter=faster, so you can use 15ns chips in any application requiring >= 15ns. 20ns > 15ns so no problem, assuming the 64kx8 chip structure is supported in the first place. Reading here 4 64kx8 chips are fine for 256kB, as long as also use a single 16kx8 or 32kx8 SRAM chip for tag.

Any other tips on sourcing this SRAM would be appreciated.

Tricky. If you 'process' lots of motherboards you end up with piles of this stuff for almost nothing. I guess lots of people have that stuff - I certainly do - but the trick is finding someone nearby. I'd be willing to part with a set for the price of shipping and a nice craft beer - but seeing as you're linking to the US eBay, by the time you've shipped that stuff it would have been cheaper to buy those parts on eBay...

Reply 2 of 2, by RogrWilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

Tricky. If you 'process' lots of motherboards you end up with piles of this stuff for almost nothing. I guess lots of people have that stuff - I certainly do - but the trick is finding someone nearby. I'd be willing to part with a set for the price of shipping and a nice craft beer - but seeing as you're linking to the US eBay, by the time you've shipped that stuff it would have been cheaper to buy those parts on eBay...

Thanks, that's all really helpful. Yeah, unfortunately this is my first build so I have to source everything online. And here in Toronto, Canada, I can't find anything of this vintage locally. It could be worth buying your chips, even if it's a little more, since they're more likely to be authentic, I guess? I'd PM you about price and all that, but I can't seem to figure out how. How can I contact you privately?