VOGONS

First post, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I picked up a Roland MT-32 a few weeks ago and I've been running it through ScummVM and DOSBox but decided I want a proper retro machine to use it with.

After a fair amount of umming and ahhing I've settled on a (not technically period correct) Pentium MMX based build. I managed to get a really good deal on the board in the image attached. (£35) complete with 64MB RAM, ATI Rage II DVD GPU and ESS ES1868F soundcard.

The board is (if I'm correct) an Intel 430TX chipset based board from Texas Instruments. It has 4 PCI and 4 ISA slots. Does anyone know what case will be suitable? All the ATX towers I can find only have 7 slots. I'm assuming the board is a standard ATX layout.

http://texas-micro.industrialpartner.com/sing … s/atx/ti5tt.htm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190817-124501.png
    Filename
    Screenshot_20190817-124501.png
    File size
    1.74 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    TI5TT Motherboard
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your board also has 7 slots. The last PCI and first ISA slot are "shared" (either/or) 😉

So choose your poison (I mean case...)

Last edited by jaZz_KCS on 2019-08-17, 12:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lostdotfish wrote:

Ah ok. So the top PCI slot will be above the top expansion slot when mounted (I'll be needing the ISA slots for soundcards and mpu 401 interfaces etc).

Basically. As seen from after having a card installed.... PCI cards extend downwards, whereas ISA cards extend upwards. Ergo, in PCI slot 4 (Which is also ISA slot 1), you can use EITHER a PCI card OR an ISA card, as putting a PCI card in there, will end up making the ISA slot unavailable/unreachable. Also vice versa.

Reply 7 of 11, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:
Lostdotfish wrote:

Ah ok. So the top PCI slot will be above the top expansion slot when mounted (I'll be needing the ISA slots for soundcards and mpu 401 interfaces etc).

Basically. As seen from after having a card installed.... PCI cards extend downwards, whereas ISA cards extend upwards. Ergo, in PCI slot 4 (Which is also ISA slot 1), you can use EITHER a PCI card OR an ISA card, as putting a PCI card in there, will end up making the ISA slot unavailable/unreachable. Also vice versa.

Ah that totally sorted it in my brain. Thanks. It's been some 20 or so years since I built anything with ISA cards.

Reply 9 of 11, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know, I've always wondered... if you had a PCI card that didn't have anything going out the back, like an internal IDE controller or something with a blank back... took the blank back off, and then used BOTH the ISA and PCI slots on that shared slot.... would they still both work? Hmmm....

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 10 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just about any full ATX case would work. Beige cases are not too uncommon, but if you need pointers, get something from InWin 500 series, like A500, S500 or H500. They don't look too exciting, but they are pretty popular, well built, and are actually period-correct (they've been around since mid 90s).

Your bigger issue would be finding a single row ATX motherboard shield. They are certainly not too common.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 11 of 11, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

Just about any full ATX case would work. Beige cases are not too uncommon, but if you need pointers, get something from InWin 500 series, like A500, S500 or H500. They don't look too exciting, but they are pretty popular, well built, and are actually period-correct (they've been around since mid 90s).

Your bigger issue would be finding a single row ATX motherboard shield. They are certainly not too common.

I'll probably cut my own IO shield. There are 3d printed ones that look ok but I also have the tools and patience to custom cut a metal shield.

Thanks for the heads up on the case. I actually found a case locally that was too good to pass up. It's not period correct at all but at £10 I couldn't say no.