VOGONS

First post, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using GEM318 (Superscam942 pcb) scsi harddrive bay for 1 of my retro computers.
Advantage is that I can take out and swap hdd after what operating system I want to boot.

I had this in storage for a while, and when I started up again, I went from a Super socket 7 K6-II 500Mhz system to a socket 370 with a 1Ghz PIII cpu.

However I had a bit of a time when making the switch, as I could not figure out why system wouldn't boot when in the case, but did so outside.
Initially I thought it was a short somewhere in the case, and switched power supplies and whatnot, but could not get to the bottom of it.

Then by more of an accident, I did get it to boot in the case, and after more testing figured out it was the Gem318 that was the problem.
It now works fine as an ide based system, but really would like to get this repaired.

I experimented a bit, and connected only this to a power supply, heard a bang, but oddly enough no smoke.
Did smell quite a bit.

I opened it, and took the picture attached here of the controller PCB.

The only thing I can see that is obvious is that F1 and F2 is empty, but looks like that at one point there was something there.
I assume it is a fuse of 15amp or something.

Not that knowledge about these things, but have basic soldering skills, and should be able to replace this myself, if I can find the correct type.
The other question is why it this would happen.
What could have caused it, if my fuse theory is correct.
Here I am on thinner ice, as my trouble shooting skills of this sort is more or less non existences.

Attachments

• SuperSCAM924_1.jpg
    Filename
    SuperSCAM924_1.jpg
    File size
    326.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception