VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I pulled my Amiga 3000 out of the closet yesterday to have a look at the battery area and see if I can save it.
The damage looks pretty extensive in places; maybe I can fix the green corrosion on the chip legs, but some of the resistors have it too, and near the battery I see signs of it on the circuit board itself.

My skills are just this side of non-existent, but it would still be worth a lot of effort to save this machine, IMO.
The question is, am I too late to even try?
What would be the best method/chemicals to use to try cleaning the corrosion w/o damaging the circuit board further?
I'd rather not replace any parts if I don't have to (I'm not sure they can even be found).
I guess my first step would be to remove the battery.
What kind of battery, if any, can I replace it with? (assuming this type is no longer available).
As usual, any ideas, suggestions or comments are welcome. (aside from telling me how stupid I am for letting it get this bad. Yeah, I know; I can't turn back time, though).

A3000battery_small.jpg
Filename
A3000battery_small.jpg
File size
485.39 KiB
Views
File comment
Close up of battery area of Amiga 3000 motherboard.
Looks like lots of corrosive damage around it.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks fairly mild and definitely nowhere near to a point where repairs aren't gonna be worth it. That battery should be removed immediately, wiggle it until it comes off if you cannot desolder it.
Vinegar is used to neutralize the acid residues, isopropanol or other cleaning alcohol to clean up things. Rest is matter of fixing broken traces, vias and any damaged components (soldering required).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh... this is typical varta destruction...
what you can do until someone with repair skills can patch it up:
- cut off the battery , use some pliers or something - just remove it completely
- soak the area with vinegar or lemon juice to neutralize the battery acid , use a toothbrush to get the fluid in all nooks and crannies
- after 10~15mins clean up the vinegar/lemonjuice with something like isopropyl alcohol (don;t wash with water when acid is active all you'll do is spread it further)
- once cleaned find someone to patch it

I think that covers it 😀

Last edited by keropi on 2019-08-21, 23:05. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

honestly from the pic it seems very possible that no traces or vias have yet been destroyed

if you remove the heinous battery ASAP and clean it up as described in the previous posts, you might just be good to go

Reply 5 of 8, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree with the above. Looks pretty good still. My worst patient was a Vtech Laser Turbo XT, had the battery on an expansion card. Leaked all over the cache sockets. At least they weren't populated.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 7 of 8, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I appear to have gotten rid of the corrosion and the motherboard is looking pretty good (assuming my thumb-fingered wielding of the soldering iron didn't cause damage I didn't see).

I pulled the barrel battery... now I need to look for a replacement.

It's 3.6v NiCad, Varta brand, 3/V60R, 60mAh, 14h, 6mH

Could I replace it with a 3.6v CR2032 *rechargeable* button battery?
What must I look out for in a replacement battery?

(it also had 3 feet sticking into the motherboard, can't figure out why).

Reply 8 of 8, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I bought a replacement 2032 battery from Amigakit in the UK (only the 2nd package I can recall getting from the UK...)
After much trial and tribulation, I got it installed in my A3000... and... she works!
I haven't really tested to see if the battery is saving CMOS settings, but... did I mention that she works?
It appears that I can access both HDs, which surprised me. I am surprised.

The floppy drive is acting up, however... DF0 appears on screen as ??? and there's no reaction when I insert a disk.
I probably almost certainly have the cabling connected wrong.
In any event, I'll probably get a GoTek floppy emulator for it (does the bezel come off on those things? The A3000 has custom cutouts for floppies).

I are so happy that my baby is alive again!
Almost EIGHT YEARS sitting in the closet.
Not sure what I'm going to do with her, now.
I understand there are new accelerators and expansion boards, but of course they're expensive; that would mean rescheduling some of my other projects to shift the funds to support my A3000.
Gotta decide if that's worth it.

Anyway... Amiga saved from evil battery! Thanks for all the advice; that helped!