VOGONS

Reply 420 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-12, 18:50:

I would say it's close to perfect, DIMM info is missing, because the SMBUS could not be read out.

Thank you for checking out SIV and posting the results. The absent SPD/SMBus is for a new reason, the SMBus controller seems to be disabled 🙁. I would expect it to be at [ 0 - 01 - 1 ] on [PCI Bus], but it's not there. At a guess HP have disabled the device and both Martin and I don't know how to enable it. I wonder if there is a BIOS setup option to stop the BIOS doing this, please can you have a look?

Update: SIV failed to report the 8 x 4MB DIMMs as some kluge code for a wonky MSI BIOS messed things up, the attached SIV64X 5.47 Oops-11 should fix this, does it please?

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-04-13, 13:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 421 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-04-12, 21:16:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-12, 18:50:

I would say it's close to perfect, DIMM info is missing, because the SMBUS could not be read out.

Thank you for checking out SIV and posting the results. The absent SPD/SMBus is for a new reason, the SMBus controller seems to be disabled 🙁. I would expect it to be at [ 0 - 01 - 1 ] on [PCI Bus], but it's not there. At a guess HP have disabled the device and both Martin and I don't know how to enable it. I wonder if there is a BIOS setup option to stop the BIOS doing this, please can you have a look?

Update: SIV failed to report the 8 x 4MB DIMMs as some kluge code for a wonky MSI BIOS messed things up, the attached SIV64X 5.47 Oops-11 should fix this, does it please?

Hi, I am 99% sure that there is NO option to disable the disabling of the SMBUS.

Thanks for the update, I gave it a try:

siv2.jpg
Filename
siv2.jpg
File size
266.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Awesome.

I will also do a quick check on the second machine later on, that one has 16 times 4GB modules

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV64X-DL585G6-2.zip
    File size
    251.92 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license

Reply 422 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 10:46:

Hi, I am 99% sure that there is NO option to disable the disabling of the SMBUS.
I will also do a quick check on the second machine later on, that one has 16 times 4GB modules

Thank you for checking out the changes and posting the new save files. I felt it was worth asking about a BIOS setup option, but to say the least it was a long shot.

The changes worked as I intended and I expect the system with 16 x 4GB will also be fine. I wonder if it's SMBus will also be disabled.

I suspect to enable the SMBus all that's needed is to toggle a bit in the nVidia nForce4 ISA Bridge, but the tricky aspect is knowing which bit to toggle. After searching all the SIV save files I found one from an ASUS K8N-DL that has the SMBus enabled, but I was unable to deduce the bit that controlled this and I can't find the chipset datasheet.

file.php?id=80501

The latest ASUS K8N-DL save file I have is from 2008-07-28 and it would be interesting to know how the latest SIV does on that motherboard as back then SIV did not have SMBus support at all.

Attachments

Reply 423 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-04-13, 11:45:
Thank you for checking out the changes and posting the new save files. I felt it was worth asking about a BIOS setup option, bu […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 10:46:

Thank you for checking out the changes and posting the new save files. I felt it was worth asking about a BIOS setup option, but to say the least it was a long shot.

The changes worked as I intended and I expect the system with 16 x 4GB will also be fine. I wonder if it's SMBus will also be disabled.

I suspect to enable the SMBus all that's needed is to toggle a bit in the nVidia nForce4 ISA Bridge, but the tricky aspect is knowing which bit to toggle. After searching all the SIV save files I found one from an ASUS K8N-DL that has the SMBus enabled, but I was unable to deduce the bit that controlled this and I can't find the chipset datasheet.

file.php?id=80501

The latest ASUS K8N-DL save file I have is from 2008-07-28 and it would be interesting to know how the latest SIV does on that motherboard as back then SIV did not have SMBus support at all.

I think, I have a computer with a A8N-SLI Premium mainboard.
Would it be helpful to run SIV on that one?

Reply 424 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 12:01:

I think, I have a computer with a A8N-SLI Premium mainboard. Would it be helpful to run SIV on that one?

Thank you for the offer and in general terms if it's minimal effort for you to test SIV on any system please do so. If SIV reports it OK then I don't really need to know, but that said quite often I spot funnies that other's don't.

In terms of the A8N-SLI Premium I just checked and have a 2005-10-05 vintage save file from an A8N-SLI , but I don't know if it's a Premium. As it also uses the nVidia nForce4 chipset it would be good to know if SIV manages to read the SPD OK, but for SIV to do this it needs to be running NT/2K/XP/2003, which OS is installed?

Reply 425 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-04-13, 12:34:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 12:01:

I think, I have a computer with a A8N-SLI Premium mainboard. Would it be helpful to run SIV on that one?

Thank you for the offer and in general terms if it's minimal effort for you to test SIV on any system please do so. If SIV reports it OK then I don't really need to know, but that said quite often I spot funnies that other's don't.

In terms of the A8N-SLI Premium I just checked and have a 2005-10-05 vintage save file from an A8N-SLI , but I don't know if it's a Premium. As it also uses the nVidia nForce4 chipset it would be good to know if SIV manages to read the SPD OK, but for SIV to do this it needs to be running NT/2K/XP/2003, which OS is installed?

It's running Windows 10 32 bit. Would that work, too? Of course I must use the 32 bit version of SIV.
If you remember, I already mentioned, it's one of the slowest Windows 10 machines ever 😁
OK, going to power it up ....

Reply 426 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 12:42:

It's running Windows 10 32 bit. Would that work, too? Of course I must use the 32 bit version of SIV.
If you remember, I already mentioned, it's one of the slowest Windows 10 machines ever 😁

Wow, I was not expecting W10, but W10 is basically NT 10 so is fine. Using SIV32X.exe would be a tad better than SIV32L.exe, but unless you are using non ISO Latin locale there is no real difference.

Reply 427 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-04-13, 12:49:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 12:42:

Wow, I was not expecting W10, but W10 is basically NT 10 so is fine. Using SIV32X.exe would be a tad better than SIV32L.exe, but unless you are using non ISO Latin locale there is no real difference.

Hello,

I need a lot of patience when I do something with this computer.
OK, the bios says SLI Deluxe, maybe that's not the same as SLI Premium, I have no idea.

OK I ran official SIV 5.46 on the machine.

siv-opt1.jpg
Filename
siv-opt1.jpg
File size
117.82 KiB
Views
File license

Unfortunately a new problem:
Save local got stuck in "Asus IO" section, a hard reset was necessary.

Attachments

• Filename
    siv_v5.46-opti-pc.zip
    File size
    158.38 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license

Reply 428 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 14:38:

OK, the bios says SLI Deluxe, maybe that's not the same as SLI Premium, I have no idea.
Unfortunately a new problem: Save local got stuck in "Asus IO" section, a hard reset was necessary.

Thank you for checking SIV out, apologies for the lockup and given the SMBIOS reports A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1805 I can't see how this can be a Premium. Further I searched SIV_PETER-OPTI-PC.dmi for Premium and did not find it.

On the plus side SIV correctly reported the DIMM SPD Data and was also able to read both the SMBuses.

I suspect the system would be less slow if you added another 1GB of memory, having more then 3GB should be pointless as the GPU BARs start at 3GB, see Menu->System->PCI BARs.

Please try the attached SIV32X 5.47 ASUS-11 test SIV which should resolve the issue with [io-asus], does it?

I also adjusted the ITE IT8712 fan reporting, do the reported fan names and speeds look to be correct?

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-04-13, 17:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 429 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-04-13, 16:07:
Thank you for checking SIV out, apologies for the lockup and given the SMBIOS reports A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1805 I […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 14:38:

Unfortunately a new problem: Save local got stuck in "Asus IO" section, a hard reset was necessary.

Thank you for checking SIV out, apologies for the lockup and given the SMBIOS reports A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1805 I can't see how this can be a Premium. Further I searched SIV_PETER-OPTI-PC.dmi for Premium and did not find it.

On the plus side SIV correctly reported the DIMM SPD Data and was also able to read both the SMBuses.

I suspect the system would be less slow if you added another 1GB of memory, having more then 3GB should be pointless as the GPU BARs start at 3GB, see Menu->System->PCI BARs.

Please try the attached SIV32X 5.47 ASUS-11 test SIV which should resolve the issue with [io-asus], does it?

I also adjusted the ITE IT8712 fan reporting, do the reported fan names and speeds look to be correct?

The fan speeds look correct to me now.

siv-opt2.jpg
Filename
siv-opt2.jpg
File size
120.27 KiB
Views
File license

Crash in asus-io is no longer happening.

Can you derive anything from this for the DL585 G6?

Attachments

• Filename
    siv-opti-pc.zip
    File size
    264.68 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license

Reply 430 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 16:46:
[…]
Show full quote
  1. The fan speeds look correct to me now.
  2. Crash in asus-io is no longer happening.
  3. Can you derive anything from this for the DL585 G6?

Thank you for checking out the test SIV and posting the results.

1. Good
  2. Good
  3. In terms of enabling the SMBus controllers no as there are still too many differences to be able to guess/deduce how to enable them. The only thing it shows is that SIV should be able to correctly read the SMBuses once they are enabled. Have you tried any other utilities and if so did they report the SPD? Given what Martin said to be I doubt HWiNFO will, but it might be worth giving AIDA64 a go.

I just compared the size of the SIV save file with the one from 2005, it's 1634KB rather than 172KB! At times I forget how much more SIV now reports than it used to.

Reply 431 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-04-13, 17:28:
Thank you for checking out the test SIV and posting the results. […]
Show full quote
[…]
Show full quote

1. Good
  2. Good
  3. In terms of enabling the SMBus controllers no as there are still too many differences to be able to guess/deduce how to enable them. The only thing it shows is that SIV should be able to correctly read the SMBuses once they are enabled. Have you tried any other utilities and if so did they report the SPD? Given what Martin said to be I doubt HWiNFO will, but it might be worth giving AIDA64 a go.

I just compared the size of the SIV save file with the one from 2005, it's 1634KB rather than 172KB! At times I forget how much more SIV now reports than it used to.

aida64engineer does not show something under SPD on the DL585G6

Reply 432 of 1037, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some posts have been removed due to being off-topic.

Let me just say that please remember we're all expressing our self in written context. Some might interpret it differently even if that was never your intention, same goes when reading a comment. Try to see it from more than one point of view before typing a reply.

If you have questions regarding this cleanup, send a PM.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 433 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 18:10:

Thank you for checking. Via Google I found https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDispl … mr_na-c04136277, but it's in Spanish so I am not 100% sure what it says, but there seems to be a DIMM SPD checksum test. If you run this and while it's running press [PCI Bus] does the SMBus controller at [ 0 - 01 - 1 ] get reported? If so and you generate a new save file I should have a better chance of deducing how to enable the SMBus controller.

Reply 434 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-04-13, 20:51:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-13, 18:10:

Thank you for checking. Via Google I found https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDispl … mr_na-c04136277, but it's in Spanish so I am not 100% sure what it says, but there seems to be a DIMM SPD checksum test. If you run this and while it's running press [PCI Bus] does the SMBus controller at [ 0 - 01 - 1 ] get reported? If so and you generate a new save file I should have a better chance of deducing how to enable the SMBus controller.

I tried several things but now I give up 😀
I downloaded the HP Insight Diagnostics tool (it's web based + there is a command line tool).
Unfortunately, there is no "test" tab. I used the latest version HP Insight Diagnostics Version 10.50.2007A (x86_64).
I tried also older versions, no explicit memory test neither. Even older versions stopped working at all, so I went back to the newest from 2016 (10.50. ...)

OK, this tool reads out also SPD Info after starting it up. I tried often to invoke SIV PCI, but there was never a device 0 - 01 - 1.
What's a bit weird, that the HP tool's output is not complete in my opinion.
It does show DIMMs: 1, 2, 9, 10, 17, 18, 25, 26.

But SPD info is only displayed for 1, 9, 17, 25.

I created the report from the command line tool (in txt format) and attach it here.

EDIT
Remark:
In the link you sent, you can change the language. So for example to German, I guess you like that more than spanish.

Attachments

Reply 435 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-04-13, 17:28:
Thank you for checking out the test SIV and posting the results. […]
Show full quote
[…]
Show full quote

1. Good
  2. Good

Just to make it complete, I attach here the "save local" from the other DL585 G6.
I don't expect that you can gain new insights from it, because the hardware is very similar (it has more ram and different disk drives, ...)

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV64X-DL585G6-3.zip
    File size
    254.09 KiB
    Downloads
    59 downloads
    File license

Reply 436 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-14, 19:38:

It does show DIMMs: 1, 2, 9, 10, 17, 18, 25, 26. But SPD info is only displayed for 1, 9, 17, 25.

Thank you for looking and the save files from the other DL585 G6.

1. It's possible that the HP software enables the SMBus, reads the SPD then disables it so unless [PCI Bus] was pressed at just the "right time" it would not be present.
  2. It's also possible the SPD needs to be read via the iLo Processor system management device.
  3. Given the system supports 32 DIMMs and it's only possible to have 8 on each SMBus there must be an SMBus mux (typically a PCA9544 or PCA9545) and maybe the HP software does not allow for this.
  4. In terms of SIV reporting the 16 DIMM DL585 G6 is identical to the 8 DIMM one.

I have run out of ideas as to how to read the SPD, if I had the full NDA nVidia nForce4 chipset datasheet I suspect it would be pretty easy.

Reply 437 of 1037, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran SIV32L on the first rig in my sig

b9ptMuC.png

And here's a dump

Looks like SIV doesn't know what the P3C-E is.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_INTEL I820.txt
    File size
    313.21 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 438 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mastergamma12 wrote on 2020-04-16, 05:55:

Looks like SIV doesn't know what the P3C-E is.

Thank you for the report and this is expected as the SIV support for W9x is nothing like as good as it is for NT 4.00 and later. Did you notice there is no [Machine] button on your W9x systems?

That said your post gave me an idea and I suspect the attached SIV32L 5.48 ASUS -01 to report ASUS P3C-E, does it please?

red-ray wrote on 2019-08-22, 10:17:

Systems and GPUs I would like to test on

1. SIV is designed for Windows NT so if you have both Windows NT/XP and 9X use the NT/XP system as more will be reported. Chances are that if something is zero or absent on 9x/Me the correct value will be reported on NT 4.00 and later.
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-04-16, 20:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 439 of 1037, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It now shows P3C-E under Windows 98.

I'm going to upload the results.

Also I ran SIV32L under Mini XP, it reports everything as expected except for a few things that it'd show if it was an actual xp installation, this is the closest I'll run this machine on xp as this thing was a major PITA to setup when I did a year ago.

So also uploading those as well.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_MiniXP.zip
    File size
    127.91 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    SIV_INTEL I820.txt
    File size
    313.89 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC