VOGONS

Reply 60 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally it is better to report no data than wrong data. If you can't read it back then it is just PS/2 SIMMs with FSB speed.

As for the COMCTL32 error, maybe in the release version just disable tooltips if the DLL does not support it.

As for the Alpha software, I have to see if I can obtain some.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 61 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually I checked also my NexGen system and my BIOS has support for CPUID:

file.php?mode=view&id=67660&sid=0b088a71154dab16e8a0fe340abece8d

This indicates some other bug as well.

Though for SIV it would be nice to have generic support for NexGen, not only for systems with BIOSses that have CPUID support.

Attachments

• cpuid.png
    Filename
    cpuid.png
    File size
    56.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 62 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

As for the COMCTL32 error, maybe in the release version just disable tooltips if the DLL does not support it.

I did some checking and what you need is IE 5.00.2919.800 which I think comes as standard with W2K RC1, RC2 has 5.00.2919.3800 which is also OK.

DRAM-21 should now say DRAM everywhere and I have adjusted the tooptip, have all the EDOs gone? Please may I have new save files.

At the moment I am getting SIV to report ISA GPUs, thus far it's working on W2K + NT 4.00, do you have a system you could easily try it on?

Attachments

• RDO.png
    Filename
    RDO.png
    File size
    34.52 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SIV can now report my Kelvin-64 ISA
    File license
    Public domain
  • ALF.png
    Filename
    ALF.png
    File size
    55.8 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    RC1 has COMCTL32 5.00.2919.800
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2019-08-30, 07:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 63 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Actually I checked also my NexGen system and my BIOS has support for CPUID.

The issue is mainly that the NexGen does not say it has CPUID so SIV does not use CPUID. The standard code to detect is as below so why does this fail on NexGen?

At the moment all my CPUs have CPUID and it would be much easier if I had one what did not. I am half inclined to get one, but feel they are overpriced, what should a NexGen system with PCI slots cost and where would I get one?

Talking of systems I would like reminds me I would like a Samsung UP2000, see https://mattst88.com/blog/2008/12/23/UP1500%2 … _CPUs_For_Sale/

ULONG cpu_has_cpuid( ULONG mode )               // decide if CPUID should be used
{ ULONG val; // work value

__asm pushfd
__asm pop ecx
__asm mov eax,ecx
__asm xor eax,0x00200000
__asm push eax
__asm popfd
__asm pushfd
__asm pop eax
__asm xor eax,ecx
__asm mov val,eax

return val; // return if CPUID should be used
}

Reply 64 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The code you quoted for detecting CPUID support is valid only for 486+ CPUs. Though I can have a look later. I expect that it runs on the NexGen as on any other 386.

Youtube Channel

Reply 65 of 1037, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should I run chkcpu also?

red-ray wrote:

I am half inclined to get one, but feel they are overpriced, what should a NexGen system with PCI slots cost and where would I get one?

Luck, patience, and timing have more to do with it than a price. A year or two ago, I think I saw a PCI NexGen sell for around $500 on CPU-World. They don't pop up very often, but if one does, don't hesitate or *pooof*

red-ray wrote:

Talking of systems I would like reminds me I would like a Samsung UP2000, see https://mattst88.com/blog/2008/12/23/UP1500%2 … _CPUs_For_Sale/

Intrigued, but I didn't see a price (or a photo)...

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 66 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Should I run chkcpu also?

No, please try Beta-21. I removed -NEXGEN and made some other adjustments and with luck SIV32O 5.41 Beta-21 will just work. Please post new save files from NT 3.51 NexGen system.

elianda wrote:

I expect that it runs on the NexGen as on any other 386.

I decided to __try again, please try SIV32L 5.41 Beta-21 on your W95B NexGen and SIV32A on your Alpha and post new save files

Have a look @ http://unimatrix.gomtuu.net/ADP/api/up2000-doc.html for some manuals and https://www.mikerohard.de/up2000spec.pdf for an image of a UP2000

Last edited by red-ray on 2019-08-30, 10:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 67 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beta21 on NexGen:

file.php?mode=view&id=67702&sid=2d31bf60187b65b50f5ca8477d45a06b

CPU is detected!

notes:
- the Logo is wrong. Original Logo is https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/NexGen#/media/D … NexGen_Logo.svg
- L2 cache of 256 kB is not detected, also not by the Cache-0 Latency tool.

Attachments

• Filename
    nexgen_beta21.zip
    File size
    35.67 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license
  • SIV32L_Beta21.png
    Filename
    SIV32L_Beta21.png
    File size
    759.8 KiB
    Views
    File license

Youtube Channel

Reply 68 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

L2 cache of 256 kB is not detected, also not by the Cache-0 Latency tool.

Thank you and at last! I will change the logo, but it's not as pretty. Is the speed correct? It would be interesting to see what Menu->Help->Conversions->CPU MHz reports.

Does CPUID report Model 15 Stepping 15 for all NexGen CPUs? What should SIV report as the name?

Cache-0 Latency without RDTSC is tricky. The trigger for a size change was a tripling of the time, I will change this to doubling and see what happens.

How do I read the L2 cache size?

The screen may be better if you install the Tahoma font, it's attached to the first post.

Reply 69 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First of all I tried on a 386DX-40 with Win95 and could not get it running.
With 16 MB memory behavior is random:
- It freezes the system after a while loading
- It crashes
- It sometimes seems to quit the process without freeing the memory.

Crash example:
file.php?mode=view&id=67705&sid=2d31bf60187b65b50f5ca8477d45a06b

It seems to me that due to the limited memory it gets unstable. Have you tested SIV32L with low memory configurations?
(I deleted PCIDEVS.TXT and USBDEVS.TXT as these make no sense on a 386)

Same system with 32 MB freezes the system after a while loading.
See log.

Filename
SIV_DBGOUT.log
File size
2.45 KiB
Downloads
51 downloads
File license

The NexGen:

red-ray wrote:
elianda wrote:

L2 cache of 256 kB is not detected, also not by the Cache-0 Latency tool.

Thank you and at last! I will change the logo, but it's not as pretty. Is the speed correct? It would be interesting to see what Menu->Help->Conversions->CPU MHz reports.

The CPU clock is 84 MHz, so I would say with 83 MHz detected it is correct.
I will report that later.

Does CPUID report Model 15 Stepping 15 for all NexGen CPUs?

If the BIOS of the Nx586 implements the CPUID instruction then most likely yes. The hypercode for the CPUID instruction is in
https://www.memotech.franken.de/cgi-bin/AsmCo … urce/DECODE.ASM at line 2600. It is the same for all CPUID supporting BIOSes.

I can not tell what CPUID on a NexGen Nx686 returns.

What should SIV report as the name?

Nx586-P<rating> where rating depends on the frequency.
The 84 MHz CPU is named Nx586-P90
There exists a P80, P90, P100, P110, P120 and P133, I don't have the full corresponding actual frequency table.
If the Nx586 has an internal FPU then it is a Nx586-PF<rating>. I think starting from P100 there were also PF100.
Supposedly there were also external Nx587 FPUs.

I think feipoa uses a Nx586-PF110, so he knows the actual frequency of the 110 rating.

Cache-0 Latency without RDTSC it's tricky. The trigger for a size change was a tripling of the time, I will change this to doubling and see what happens.

How do I read the L2 cache size?

For the Nx586 L2 cache size can only be 256 kB or 1 MB. I do not know how to read it back, probably it is just a string in the BIOS. I have not seen a board with 1 MB cache. What you can read from the system controller is documented here:
http://bitsavers.org/components/nexgen/NexGen … ary_Mar1994.pdf
Page 101 ff.

Attachments

• SIV32L.png
    Filename
    SIV32L.png
    File size
    1.21 MiB
    Views
    File license

Youtube Channel

Reply 70 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At the moment I am getting SIV to report ISA GPUs, thus far it's working on W2K + NT 4.00, do you have a system you could easily try it on?

I could try on the 386, it is currently freezing when starting SIV though. Does that feature requires that the driver for the ISA graphics card is installed?

ALPHA:
file.php?mode=view&id=67711&sid=2d31bf60187b65b50f5ca8477d45a06b

Filename
alpha.zip
File size
125.19 KiB
Downloads
50 downloads
File license

Attachments

• SIV32A.png
    Filename
    SIV32A.png
    File size
    1 MiB
    Views
    File license

Youtube Channel

Reply 71 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Does GPU reporting require that the driver for the ISA graphics card is installed?

Thank you and I think the Alpha is now good enough, do you?

For SIV to report any graphics card it needs to be listed on Menu->System->Device IDs. AFAIK this is only possible with W98 and on W95 you get Failed to Load SetupDiGetClassDevsA() from setupapi.dll.

Reply 72 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:
First of all I tried on a 386DX-40 with Win95 and could not get it running. With 16 MB memory behavior is random: - It freezes t […]
Show full quote

First of all I tried on a 386DX-40 with Win95 and could not get it running.
With 16 MB memory behavior is random:
- It freezes the system after a while loading
- It crashes
- It sometimes seems to quit the process without freeing the memory.

It seems to me that due to the limited memory it gets unstable. Have you tested SIV32L with low memory configurations?
(I deleted PCIDEVS.TXT and USBDEVS.TXT as these make no sense on a 386)

I think that the freeze happens while W9x is loading SIV so it's impossible to add code to SIV to warn about this, if you do -DBGINI and no file get's created it means SIV never got started.

For Beta-21 I changed SIV so it only uses/loads PCIDEVS.txt if the system has >= 32 MB and the same for SIVRES.dll. It does not cache any of the other files so you don't need to delete them.

file.php?id=67715

SIV runs OK, but rather slowly, only having SIV running. With all 192 MB available then 39.68 MB was used.

How many other programs did you have running? How much memory was free before SIV was started?

First we need to make sure SIV will run on an i386 as I have never tested this. Can you setup MSVC 6 remote debugging to the i386 and install > 32 MB of memory? If so then I can make the .PDB available so we can see exactly what it's doing when it crashes. Is there a DrWatson report of the crash?

Attachments

• RK2.png
    Filename
    RK2.png
    File size
    17.08 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NT 4.00 SP6a with 32 MB
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 73 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:
The CPU clock is 84 MHz, so I would say with 83 MHz detected it is correct. Nx586-P<rating> where rating depends on the frequenc […]
Show full quote

The CPU clock is 84 MHz, so I would say with 83 MHz detected it is correct. Nx586-P<rating> where rating depends on the frequency. The 84 MHz CPU is named Nx586-P90 There exists a P80, P90, P100, P110, P120 and P133, I don't have the full corresponding actual frequency table. If the Nx586 has an internal FPU then it is a Nx586-PF<rating>. I think starting from P100 there were also PF100. Supposedly there were also external Nx587 FPUs. I think feipoa uses a Nx586-PF110, so he knows the actual frequency of the 110 rating.

For the Nx586 L2 cache size can only be 256 kB or 1 MB. I do not know how to read it back, probably it is just a string in the BIOS. I have not seen a board with 1 MB cache. What you can read from the system controller is documented here:
http://bitsavers.org/components/nexgen/NexGen … ary_Mar1994.pdf
Page 101 ff.

Thank you and I have just uploaded Beta-22, does it get your PR90 and how does [Cache-0 Latency] do? It should also report PF if the FPU is present.

I had already checked that datasheet and still can't find anything about the cache size. I am also pondering how to know the NxVL exists on the system before I start reading from it.

Reply 74 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think Alpha is ok.

NexGen:
file.php?mode=view&id=67726&sid=0bed64bfee32bb22f019966d4e985460

Cache-0 does not work, tried several times.
One thing I noticed is that it shows for memory DIMM, but should be PS/2 SIMM.

I think you can only be sure to have NxVL chipset if CPU is a NexGen and a VLB bus is present.

The 386:

For 32 MB it generated the linked DBGOUT.LOG and the last thing there was CPUID detection before it froze.
I think the freeze with 16 MB RAM is happening at the same point.

Dr.Watson is AFAIK only running as default in NT, not Win9x.

First we need to make sure SIV will run on an i386 as I have never tested this. Can you setup MSVC 6 remote debugging to the i386 and install > 32 MB of memory? If so then I can make the .PDB available so we can see exactly what it's doing when it crashes. Is there a DrWatson report of the crash?

>32 MB is not an option. I mean 32 MB on a 386 is already a lot, usually they had 4 or 8 MB. This particular system uses already 4x 4MB SIMMs and I am pretty sure the mainboard does not support higher capacity SIMMs.

I might be able to install MSVC6 on the 386. Though do you think that makes sense with 32 MB RAM?
It would be quite an effort though. The system has 2x 504 MB HDDs where the second uses Stacker 4.0 compression, which are also filled.

ISA Graphics cards:
Ok so you say this needs at least Win98?
I could setup that on my testbench (P3 800MHz), but I see your system is also a P2 300MHz. Would not be so much of a difference then.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_NExgen.txt
    File size
    151.04 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
  • SIV32L.png
    Filename
    SIV32L.png
    File size
    862.52 KiB
    Views
    File license

Youtube Channel

Reply 75 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How many other programs did you have running? How much memory was free before SIV was started?

I did not had any other programs running.

I checked that with Quarterdeck Manifest:
after bootup:
Total Global Heap 25,464K
Free Global Heap 18,090K
Free Physical 7,060K

Manifest itself takes 496 kB.

Youtube Channel

Reply 76 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:
[…]
Show full quote
  1. Cache-0 does not work, tried several times.
  2. One thing I noticed is that it shows for memory DIMM, but should be PS/2 SIMM.
  3. I think you can only be sure to have NxVL chipset if CPU is a NexGen and a VLB bus is present.
  4. For 32 MB it generated the linked DBGOUT.LOG and the last thing there was CPUID detection before it froze. I think the freeze with 16 MB RAM is happening at the same point.
  5. I might be able to install MSVC6 on the 386. Though do you think that makes sense with 32 MB RAM? It would be quite an effort though. The system has 2x 504 MB HDDs where the second uses Stacker 4.0 compression, which are also filled.
  6. ISA Graphics cards: Ok so you say this needs at least Win98? I could setup that on my testbench (P3 800MHz), but I see your system is also a P2 300MHz. Would not be so much of a difference then.
  1. Thank you for your testing and my thoughts are:
  2. It came up with 192 rather than 256 KB which makes sense given the times, what happens if you select [_]Repeat and let it run (it may be tricky to deselect!).
  3. I fixed it an hour ago, it will be in Beta-23
  4. But how do I know it's VLB? I can easily do no PCI + NexGen CPU.
  5. OK, so it's not the memory size. There are about 481,637 lines of code in SIV so without a debugger it will take ages to find.
  6. No, Install MSVC 6 on a recent system, I have it running on my i9 9980XE which runs Windows 10 x64 Enterprise V10.00 Build 18362 19H1, see https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1191047/ … udio-on-Windows. You just need the attached remote server on the target system, see if it runs, it may need the .DLLs from NT4.
  7. Yes, >= W98 or >= WNT 3.51. I suspected you will have different ISA GPUs to me, I only have a Kelvin 64 ISA.

[/list]

file.php?id=67733

Attachments

• NexGen.png
    Filename
    NexGen.png
    File size
    78.2 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screens from SIV test mode
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    MSVC.zip
    File size
    1.22 MiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File comment
    MSVC 6 Remote Debugger
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2019-08-30, 18:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 77 of 1037, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did one more run with the 486DLC-40.
Not exactly right...

Attachments

• 486dlc.png
    Filename
    486dlc.png
    File size
    13.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    SIVDBG.log
    File size
    5.28 KiB
    Downloads
    66 downloads
    File license

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 78 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

Did one more run with the 486DLC-40. Not exactly right...

Thank you, so the Cyrix detect code must need adjusting. Please post the Menu->Hardware->CPUID->CPU-0 screen or ideally the save file from doing Menu->File->Save Local so I can use it to run SIV in test mode.

Last edited by red-ray on 2019-08-30, 19:12. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 79 of 1037, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Did one more run with the 486DLC-40. Not exactly right...

Thank you, so the Cyrix detect code must need adjusting. Please post the Menu->Hardware->CPUID->CPU-0 screen or the save file from doing Menu->File->Save Local.

There you go!

Attachments

• 486dlc_cpu.png
    Filename
    486dlc_cpu.png
    File size
    11.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!