VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This isn't as much of a "It's not doing what I want it to do," situation like it was with Half-Life, but a question of whether or not I am doing something wrong, in more ways than one.

Without L2 cache, it was not possible to run DOOM without turning the settings to low detail and making the visible playing area the size of a glorified post stamp. When I was running the system with 128KB of L2 cache, I was able to get decent performance out of DOOM at the high detail setting at the default screen size, but now that I have adjusted it to 256KB of cache, I don't feel like I'm seeing a huge difference. I've had some issues with cache higher than 128KB before, so I'm not sure if the system is somehow not using all of the cache.

One final thing: I am incredibly aware that I have been blinded by emulators such as DOSBOX, but mostly, Pentium II and Pentium III class systems, performance-wise. I have looked on YouTube for videos of other people using DX2-66's to play DOOM, and on a few it's hard to tell, but on a video PhilsComputerLab made about the DX2-66, the same sort of lag is visible.

Is it anything to do with the cache (HIMEM.SYS says nothing about bad memory, and DOOM installs fine, whereas when the 256KB was bugging out, it gave a CRC error), or is it just the fact that I've been blinded by faster machines and am expecting too much out of the hardware? I've just heard it be called "the perfect processor for 3D gaming," so many times that I wonder if I am doing something wrong or not. Don't get me wrong; the game is certainly playable, but when walking into open areas, the framerate dips a bit. A good example is the doorway to the left that leads to the stairs and armor in the first room of E1M1- it slows down visibly. On the low detail setting, no matter how big I make the screen, this slowdown isn't visible or it is not visible enough for me to notice it.

If this is the case, would a DX4-100 upgrade do me any good?

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 33, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a 486, L2 cache,

0kb of cache vs 128kb of cache .... definitely a decent different.
128kb of cache vs 256kb of cache ... not a big different. Its there, but it won't punch you in the face.

What video card you are using? This also makes a difference.

Regarding being the perfect processor for 3D gaming, that is kinda a bit hyperbolic. And it really really depends on the game.

Reply 2 of 33, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doom likes smooth loading to cut down on lags: smartdrive, decent hard drive (not slow ones, mine was 4500rpm, 5400rpm is better) and 8MB to 16MB ram.

I used to have a 486 strictly DOS 6.22 with default settings, but I overclocked to DX 50 from 486DX 40 (AMD), cache was 256K as well all 9 sockets filled. Controller and Video card on VLB slots, I had ATI ISA, bought a Tnesg ET4000w32i/p made by Hercules in 93~94 remember everything were highly hyped, I should had not listened to the excitable idiot who sprouted tseng all the time. S3 VLB cards is better and little cheaper, even Cirrus logic if your board is VLB.

If your board is a PCI
Tnesg is not a requirement anymore, you can use a S3 DX 4MB or GX 4MB even Trio64V+ (2MB) instead.

Cheers, Pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 33, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3D gaming is done with voodoo2 or later, or TNT2, geforce2 or geforce4. AGP, PII or PIII. Pentium straddles this transition from 486 era to PII/PIII and 3D gaming was rapidly evolving that quickly outstripped the 486, and fast Pentium 200-233 was the minimum. I was playing Myst series on PII 350 and unreal gold with weak AGP (was geforce2 MX 64bit as I had little money then).

Cheers, Pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 33, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For Doom, if everything else is right in the system, yes, a DX4 is an improvement over DX2. A proper DX4-100 is where it starts to reach its 35fps frame rate limit. Not in every situation, but in most. DX2-66 was the de facto top CPU when it came out as no one had a Pentium-66 in late '93.

And it needs a fast VLB/PCI VGA too.

About cache, I'm not sure. 256k vs 128k is surely much less of a diffrence than zero vs 128k.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 5 of 33, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote:
For a 486, L2 cache, […]
Show full quote

For a 486, L2 cache,

0kb of cache vs 128kb of cache .... definitely a decent different.
128kb of cache vs 256kb of cache ... not a big different. Its there, but it won't punch you in the face.

What video card you are using? This also makes a difference.

Regarding being the perfect processor for 3D gaming, that is kinda a bit hyperbolic. And it really really depends on the game.

That makes sense, with the cache. As for the video card...

pentiumspeed wrote:

S3 VLB cards is better and little cheaper, even Cirrus logic if your board is VLB.

I already have Cirrus Logic VLB video- It came integrated in my motherboard. It's a 5430 VLB 1MB model, so I'm not sure how much faster I could get with my ISA/VLB system.

I also find the name "pentiumspeed," ironic here, in a dumb way. Get it? Because DOOM isn't running unrealistically fast on my 486, and a Pentium would solve... that. 😵

Where am I?

Reply 6 of 33, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 486DX2-66 in one of those cheesy fake cache PCChips boards. Doom runs fine on it, however it does have a PCI video card, which probably makes all the difference.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 7 of 33, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cirrus logic 5430 is pretty good for the class of system it is in (midrange 486)

An upgrade to 100mhz would certainly make the system run 3D games faster, but it will only be along the lines of 30-40% faster.

Reply 9 of 33, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JudgeMonroe wrote:

Video bus speed matters for getting that framebuffer filled but DOOM is cpu bound more than anything.

It depends. For a 486 with VLB/PCI VGA, yes it is. For a late Pentium it's all about the video card. Doom uses mode X (Y?) and 8-bit video memory access and scales crappily on faster hardware.

And even on a fast 486 it heavily depends on the VGA. Back in the day I had an old Tseng ET3000 paired with an Am5x86 and the result was horrible. Replacing the VGA with a PCI S3 Trio64 made Doom fly. On the other hand, Heretic and Hexen was much better with the old Tseng as they render in much faster system memory then copy the finished frame to the VGA memory at once. Okay, 5x86 + Tseng ET3000 is a rather extreme example.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 10 of 33, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember in the mid-1990s we had a 486DX4-100 with 16 MB but I still usually played in low-res F5 mode for the speed bump.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 33, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doom is a bit meager on a DX2. It was the perfect processor in its time because everything else was so slow and it was able to tackle a LOT of different applications.

A DX4 and ultimately an overclocked X5 are more of an enjoyable experience especially if you run torture tests like Episode4 and some "notorious" maps of Doom2.

A CF card may eliminate some of the lag in Doom(which comes from caching the assets during gameplay) - or maybe use a SCSI card with on-board mem.

The highest scores I got on 486s regarding Doom were with Matrox PCI cards. Doom does not need a lot of transfer speed to the video card(over 2MiB(excluding headroom) per second) but it does depend, as already pointed, out on raw CPU speed and on the speed the vga itself works due to depending on the internal "workings".
Cards like the TNT, Riva128, ArkLogic, RagePro and S3 Virge were slower but not much.
If you're bored, you could test your onboard VESA card in speedsys and x-vesa and see how it does compared to an external one.

Reply 12 of 33, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish I still had my 90's PC it was an unbranded clone so I don't recall which motherboard it used or if it had cache.

But I'm guessing it did because I used to play Doom Deathmatch on a 486sx33, 8mb ram, 1mb Cirrus Logic VLB at the maximum screen size that still shows HUD (-1 from max?) and it played decent. I guess a good part of it was my expectations, realistically I was probably playing at a consistant 20fps. Later I upgraded to a DX4-100 and that was a noticeable improvement but I had never complained about the SX33 performance.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 13 of 33, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Me and my brother played Doom via a null modem cable between two Compaq machines that had cacheless 50MHz SX2 in them with VLB ET4000/W32 and the game was smooth with high detail and "full screen with HUD visible" size. Duke3D was completely unplayable even with smallest screen size, that game absolutely needs cache to be playable on a 486...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 14 of 33, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Duke3D is hurt by the lack of math co-processor (sx) too. I remember playing Duke on a DX2-66 and it was acceptable but not great.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Reply 15 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Duke3D is hurt by the lack of math co-processor (sx) too.

Build does not utilize FPU af all.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 16 of 33, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Duke3D is hurt by the lack of math co-processor (sx) too.

Build does not utilize FPU af all.

I only know the following because of NexGen CPU discussions on this forum.

To get a definitive answer on why slopes are so slow on 486SX processors, I turned to the most reliable source I can think of: the original Duke 3D source code released in 2003. After looking around for slope-related code, I finally found what I was looking for: the Build engine does in fact use floating point assembly instructions in its slope rendering routines (setupslopevlin_ and slopevlin_) inside the A.ASM source file. It's just a few short simple instructions (fild, fadd, fst, fstp), hardly worth mentioning, but it's enough to bring a non-FPU processor to its knees when invoked.

-https://fabiensanglard.net/duke3d/build_engine_internals.php

Check out DOSBox Distro:

Reply 17 of 33, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is good to know !

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 18 of 33, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doom 1 timedemo on my 486DX2/66MHz (WT), 16MB RAM, 256kB L2 cache, Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 1MB VGA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdsPgyZdCoc

Perfectly playable, but definitely not perfect. As alvaro84 said, to hit that 35 fps limit constantly, you need at least DX4/100MHz. Btw. L2 cache itself means +5 fps (*) in comparison with system with no L2 cache installed.

(* 25 vs 30 fps, see table at https://www.high-voltage.cz/2018/globalyst-51 … kolo-vylepseni/ - measured in timedemo)

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 19 of 33, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting - I remember a LONG time ago testing a DX2+VesaLocal board and it got around 27fps.

I was curious about the plane switching and it seems that on my vga-card 64000 plane-switches take around 0.05 seconds(7.8125e-7 seconds/switch). Not a realistic number by a long shot as there are most likely way fewer per frame drawn but neat to know.

Last edited by amadeus777999 on 2022-04-05, 07:20. Edited 1 time in total.