VOGONS

PCIE Graphics Card

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 121, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dothan Burger wrote on 2023-07-10, 19:09:

Thanks for that info VDNKH. The 775Dual VSTA does not appear to be effected by that bug. AGP Texture acceleration is enabled in Dxdiag.

Interesting. Can you provide some more info?

What BIOS are you using?
In the BIOS, what is your AGP Aperture Size set to?

Spoiler

bios_6.jpg

In 3DMark 2001, What is your reported Total AGP Memory size? Does it match what it set to in BIOS?
What NVidia driver version are you using?

It could be NVidia's GART driver which adds 32MB of AGP memory. I don't know when they added it but I know 45.23 doesn't have it.

Reply 101 of 121, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for that info VDNKH. The 775Dual VSTA does not appear to be effected by that bug. AGP Texture acceleration is enabled in Dxdiag.

2mg I’ll give rivatuner bootstrapping a shot but I don’t think it will change much. It didn’t change much if I remember, it just gave me different control panel settings. And made the temps go way up.

Thanks!

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-10, 19:46:

You need VT237A, original revision does not support any storage with SATAII/III interface. But there are some workarounds. SSDs with Sandforce SF-2281 controller can be forced to work in SATAI mode. Relatively new Hitachi/HGS HDDs also support forced software switch between SATA modes. Some old SATAII HDDs provided jumpers to force SATAI mode.

Of these Dual GPU mobos I have P4V800D-X with VIA VT8237R PLUS, although there seem to be more revisions of this board, and 775Dual-880Pro has VT8237.
Someone specifically mentioned one or both of these as being problematic, forgot in what terms of issues too 🙁

Is it enough to eBaby the SATA-I new/new old stock SSDs? I mean, they will probably be some Chinesiums, but still. Or SATA-I HDDs, same logic.
The Sandforce ones do it automatically I presume, and Hitachi software switch, is that done with some proprietary software?

Thanks for proposed workarounds, appreciate it!

Reply 102 of 121, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VDNKh wrote on 2023-07-10, 22:16:
Interesting. Can you provide some more info? […]
Show full quote

Interesting. Can you provide some more info?

What BIOS are you using?
In the BIOS, what is your AGP Aperture Size set to?

Spoiler

bios_6.jpg

In 3DMark 2001, What is your reported Total AGP Memory size? Does it match what it set to in BIOS?
What NVidia driver version are you using?

It could be NVidia's GART driver which adds 32MB of AGP memory. I don't know when they added it but I know 45.23 doesn't have it.

It appears that dxdiag is not a failsafe way to detect this issue. I held off on checking with 3dmark2001 because I was trying to test with dx7 and it wanted dx81. It does list Total AGP memory as zero.

My bios version is the latest 3.10 and the driver is 52.03 with 128mb of AGP aperture. Hopefully there is a bios that will correct this as they are all dated 2006 and later. Maybe the K8V is back on the menu.

Reply 103 of 121, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
2mg wrote on 2023-07-11, 01:17:

Thanks!

When I Bootstrap as a Geforce with rivatuner the temps climb up to 52C and stay there, Normally the card idles at 36C. It does provide a speed increase in 3dmark 2001.

I'll test game compatibility later and add it here.

Attachments

• Non Bootstrapped.jpeg
    Filename
    Non Bootstrapped.jpeg
    File size
    139.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Bootstrapped.jpeg
    Filename
    Bootstrapped.jpeg
    File size
    117.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 104 of 121, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
2mg wrote on 2023-07-11, 01:17:

Is it enough to eBaby the SATA-I new/new old stock SSDs? I mean, they will probably be some Chinesiums, but still. Or SATA-I HDDs, same logic.
The Sandforce ones do it automatically I presume, and Hitachi software switch, is that done with some proprietary software?

No, both require free third-party utilities to set SATA mod manually.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 105 of 121, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-11, 07:06:

No, both require free third-party utilities to set SATA mod manually.

Can't thank you enough for your insights, don't mind if I don't do a "Thanks!" post for every one of your gems!

Like this one 😀

Reply 106 of 121, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to flash the PCX 5900 strap to the FX 1300? I tried flashing the strap with NVflash but it corrupted the bios and needed to reflash with a PCI card.

I built a new i945 system to test out other PCI-E cards against the FX1300 / PCX 5750 and I have to agree with Duga3, the 7800gt and 7950gt seem to be a much better option. Even the 6800 and Quadro 3400 seemed completely laggy in comparison. If anything, even the FX cards were smoother.

Reply 107 of 121, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still prefer the FX1300 visually in DOS games to any other PCI-E card, Radeon or Geforce I've tested. It's very crisp were the other cards look rather blurry.

One thing I find odd is that Rloew's Nvsize app is listing this cards CFG PCI Size as 256MiB, the other 3 listings have the correct size.

Reply 108 of 121, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dothan Burger wrote on 2023-08-04, 02:32:

I still prefer the FX1300 visually in DOS games to any other PCI-E card, Radeon or Geforce I've tested. It's very crisp were the other cards look rather blurry.

One thing I find odd is that Rloew's Nvsize app is listing this cards CFG PCI Size as 256MiB, the other 3 listings have the correct size.

Hey, so is the consensus still "FX 1300 kinda meh"?
I mean, you are running driver hacks, ID/RivaTuner, and BIOS flashing it, maybe the issue is forcing it into PCX5900 exclusively, maybe 5900xz/zt/xyzt would work?

I'm stil kiiindaaa interested in using it to run late W98 99-2001 games which could use more juice than GF4 can provide, I'd kinda expect 1300 to perform better compatibility wise in that "era"?

Reply 109 of 121, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The card reports 256MiB used by default. I've tried other FX straps in Riva Tuner, and it was the same.

Only advantage I can see to the FX1300 is the ability to run 4xAA on more titles than a 4ti. The fan is loud and game compatibility isn't great. Even still I'm sure a great deal of games that came out from 99 to 01 will play just fine on this card. But I bet I could say the same for the 7 series card I use in its place. If you have a game in mind, I'd be happy to test it.

Reply 110 of 121, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
2mg wrote on 2023-10-31, 04:20:

I mean, you are running driver hacks, ID/RivaTuner, and BIOS flashing it, maybe the issue is forcing it into PCX5900 exclusively, maybe 5900xz/zt/xyzt would work?

Judging from my experience with similar Quadro cards of that era, there's no practical benefit in trying to modhack Quadro FX to GeForce or vice-versa. Quadro cards are not gimped in gaming features and I sincerely doubt that somebody needs that extra CAD performance on a 20 year old GeForce.

Reply 111 of 121, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-09, 06:12:
2mg wrote on 2023-10-31, 04:20:

Judging from my experience with similar Quadro cards of that era, there's no practical benefit in trying to modhack Quadro FX to GeForce or vice-versa. Quadro cards are not gimped in gaming features and I sincerely doubt that somebody needs that extra CAD performance on a 20 year old GeForce.

Yeah but the point of this was to make QFXs work with FX drivers, for compatibility/performance, no?

Reply 113 of 121, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-12, 11:57:

There is no difference for both.

I'm asking in the sense thst some FX5s/FXQs came post 45.xx drivers.

Can they be forced to work stable with 45.xx by forcing them to be installed as an older card?

Reply 114 of 121, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never gotten the PCIE-based cards to work properly with any driver version before 61.xx including my Quadro Fx 1300. I think Nvidia added code to enable the PCIE interface around that point.

Version 56.xx should work with the Quadro, but I think the PCIE implementation has to many bugs to initialize the card.

Reply 115 of 121, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
2mg wrote on 2023-11-19, 15:51:

Can they be forced to work stable with 45.xx by forcing them to be installed as an older card?

Like I said, there is no difference between GeForce and Quadro on the same chip. Can you downgrade driver on unsupported silicon? Maybe, partially.

Reply 116 of 121, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-19, 17:26:

Meh, that creates a driver split between older FX5s/FXQs making older ones a relatively better W98 choice at the cost of some speed.

Man do I not like FX series.

fosterwj03 wrote on 2023-11-19, 17:02:

I've never gotten the PCIE-based cards to work properly with any driver version before 61.xx including my Quadro Fx 1300. I think Nvidia added code to enable the PCIE interface around that point.

Version 56.xx should work with the Quadro, but I think the PCIE implementation has to many bugs to initialize the card.

Thanks.

Reply 117 of 121, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
2mg wrote on 2023-11-21, 18:52:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-19, 17:26:

Meh, that creates a driver split between older FX5s/FXQs making older ones a relatively better W98 choice at the cost of some speed.

Well, when it comes AGP, that affects only FX 5700, so not really a huge concern. PCIe variants may work fine if you transplant old DirectDraw and OpenGL "guts" to a newer driver, because only newer drivers are aware of HSI bridge.

Reply 118 of 121, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-24, 13:05:

According to Phils 98 driver lists, 5950 and Q4000 and some other AGP ones start with 5x.xx drivers, that's kinda why I asked, afaik 5x50 are somewhat better than originals, and some xt/zt are somewhat cheaper and easier to find, but 5x.xx and on only.

Reply 119 of 121, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can install old drivers manually. Doesn't work with FX5700, because it's a new chip.