VOGONS

First post, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two VLB cards I would like to upgrade the memory on and I was wondering if there is more to it then that?

On this Mach32 the capacitors are there but I don't know if anything else is needed?

On the Hercules I was wondering if I can just solder on the 4 x 256Kx8?

Thanks.

Last edited by Turboman on 2021-06-29, 03:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by sirnephilim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just in case there's kids watching, by solder they mean apply solder paste and flux, then apply heat. While this CAN be done with an iron you're making your life very difficult that way.

Reply 3 of 6, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sirnephilim wrote:

Just in case there's kids watching, by solder they mean apply solder paste and flux, then apply heat. While this CAN be done with an iron you're making your life very difficult that way.

Yeah , I would use solder pastes on the pads and then set the ram chip down on the PCB pads and heat the legs with a heat gun
to the solder melting point. ( about 370 F ).

or

If needed you can apply flux to the pads and can load the solder iron tip with solder and drag solder the ram chip legs to the pads and then clean up excessive solder on legs with solder wick.

But solder paste and a heat gun should do the job.

Clean area with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips before and when done.

Attachments

• solder -002.jpg
    Filename
    solder -002.jpg
    File size
    69.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • solder -001.jpg
    Filename
    solder -001.jpg
    File size
    59.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have successfully added RAM to all my VLB and few ISA cards to max them out, with one exception : One VLB ET4000 didn't work afterwards, that card also didn't have upgrade sockets installed so I am wondering maybe the card had a manufacturing flaw that prevented any memory upgrade to work, thus sockets were never put on... I haven't yet verified it but eventually I plan to.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜