VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This might be fun, but I don't know how feasible it is.

When I was a kid I used to experiment a lot with Pentium 4 hardware, and became well acquainted with the difficulties involved in trying to run DOS on newer hardware.

What I am wondering is, if I have the right motherboard, could it be done?

Here's what I want to try to do:

• Has speed of at least a Core 2 Duo, want to go as fast as I can with this concept though
  • Support at least 4 GB RAM
  • Fast storage - at least SATA SSD
  • Can run modern Linux acceptably
  • Can run modern Windows (Win7) acceptably
  • Can also run old OS's acceptably (DOS, Win 3.1, Win9x)

Here are some problems I anticipate:

• DOS compatibility: VGA/EGA/CGA graphics, surprisingly not too much of a problem even with latest video cards. Sound compatibility will require an ISA slot, or at least a PCI to ISA bridge? Does that exist? Or maybe there is a PCI card that has enough compatibility to work for the most part.
  • Windows 3.1, Win9x, WinXP - video and sound also. Sound is not a big issue as there are plenty of PCI cards that would work. Video is another problem; perhaps if I got my hands on a PCI Voodoo 3 3000 or TNT2 or something though, that would solve the issue.
  • Storage - Windows XP might be the only problem here. You can add SATA drivers during the installation process, I know that much.
  • Speed issues in DOS, Win9x. Not too worried about this. I know there are patches I can use for that sort of thing, and none of my favorite DOS games or programs are speed-dependent.

Here are my initial thoughts on the hardware I might use:

• Motherboard: This is the big question. Not just any will work; ideally it should support at least a Core 2 Duo and have an ISA slot, but does this even exist? If I decide to forego the ISA slot, is there such a thing as a PCI to ISA adapter and do they work in DOS? This is really only for the sound card.
  • CPU: Should be at least a Core 2 Duo but I would like quad-core or better if possible.
  • Graphics card: Good enough for modern stuff, lightweight games, etc. -- for DOS/Win31/Win9x I think I will need a separate graphics card! Perhaps in a free PCI slot I could but a Voodoo3 or something
  • Sound card: Either an ISA card if the MB I use has a slot, or a PCI card. Is there such a thing as a PCI card that has enough DOS compatibility to work properly with most games?
  • Network card: I have an Intel PCI gigabit NIC that I'm pretty sure has drivers for every OS on my list. Otherwise just a 3C905 or something will serve my purposes well.
  • Keyboard + mouse: USB; I assume the chipset will make virtual legacy PS/2 devices for the old OS's

I know there have been similar projects in the past but I cannot find them anywhere.

Any thoughts?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 41, by sirnephilim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted about a similar idea only with a P4, so line-by line;

Core 2 will work, would likely be overkilkl for 99.9% of anything considered "retro", though so would the P4.
4GB of ram: You could get 16 on most boards and not even break $30... course anything 32-bit will only see 4 of em minus your video RAM size.
Storage: If you have a spare PCI-E x4 or even x1 slot, why not try an M.2 to PCI-E adapter? Potentially 10 times faster than a SATA SSD.
Modern Linux: Yes, with caveats. Core 2 days were VERY spotty given how new a lot of the hardware was and how much of it got superseded before long. Hardware compatibility might be a snag.
Win7: In its sleep.
Old OS:
DOS: Iffy. Would boot, and if you can get the right drivers you might get sound. Make sure whatever video card you get has good compatibility as a lot of PCI-E offerings dropped compatibility in this generation. Hardware choice would be key.
Win 3.1: Probably worse than DOS. Pretty much guaranteed you're not going to find any kind of video driver, and might even have trouble with sound.
Win9x: Should work well. For Win3.1 and DOS compatibility this is where you should actually live as it passes along a fair bit of hardware compatibility in terms of storage media and, if you can't get your PCI sound card to work you can try VDMSound. (If nothing else, USB support means transferring games from your normal rig will be way easier and that's native in 98.)

To my knowledge there's no PCI to ISA bridge out there unless it's purpose built for a specific board and architecture, IE as a backplane. There's no general solution to that problem, though there are PnP PCI sound cards that are pretty good with DOS.

Motherboard: In my hypothetical build I went with an ASUS gaming board, just make sure whatever you get ticks the right boxes and doesn't have a forest of bad caps, that was the capocalypse era.
CPU: There were quad core Core processors, can't remember the designation offhand but that's what Google's for.
Graphics: PCI-E, don't exceed 256MB as Win9x has some issues. Avoid ATI due to compatibility problems in DOS.
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 works well in 9x, and there are DOS drivers. Really that'd hinge on the existence of DOS drivers for your PCI sound card as there aren't many Core 2 boards with ISA slots.
Network: Any common Intel chip will work out of the box with Win9x and Linux. No worries or issues there.
Keyboard/Mouse: Pretty trivial to find PS/2 devices but yeah, USB will work just fine provided you enable legacy support in BIOS.

Reply 2 of 41, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even with memory patches, windows 98 won't boot with more than 2gb of memory (or at least I have never gotten it to boot).

You can run vanilla DOS however. I have even gotten it to boot off of USB before.

A PCI Voodoo 3 IMO goes a long way for DOS and windows 98. I have had success with Voodoo 3 2000 on ebay as of late for not outlandish prices.

For core2duo, I have heard that some very rare chipsets have ISA slots, but I have never seen one. The most flexible is the ASrock Dual-VSTA and similar VIA chipsets with AGP and PCIE. When I experimented with a core2duo in windows 98 though, I had a somewhat jittery and buggy experience. You might do better... personally I think pentium 4 is ideal for that OS.

For PCI cound cards for DOS, you can do sound blaster emulation on Audigy and Sound Blaster Live cards, or you can use the Yamaha YM74X PCI cards with real OPL3. Compatability in both cases is rather limited. The most compatiable PCI cound card is the ESS SOLO-1 with excellent soundblaster emulation. Another alternative is to use the opl3lpt parallel port sound devices. Compatibility is pretty decent with the TSR and game patches, but you won't get a wave table header or general midi.

You can find industrial pentium 4 boards with ISA slots. They are rare, but not unicorn rare. The behavior of the ISA slots when it comes to DMA, I have read, can sometimes be screwy though.

Anyway you slice it, you are going to have to make compromises. A lot of compromises probably. Personally I think the asrock 4coredual-vsta board with a couple of PCI sound cards and video cards gets the closest. You can run up to three video cards if you use the AGP, PCIE, and a PCI card (Switchable in the bios) with three PCI slots left over for sound cards. DOS and windows 98 compatibility will be just ok, but it will run anything on XP and you can run windows 7 on it if you want to (although probably with only 2GB of RAM if you also want to triple boot windows 98).

Reply 3 of 41, by sirnephilim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:

For PCI cound cards for DOS, you can do sound blaster emulation on Audigy and Sound Blaster Live cards, or you can use the Yamaha YM74X PCI cards with real OPL3. Compatability in both cases is rather limited. The most compatiable PCI cound card is the ESS SOLO-1 with excellent soundblaster emulation. Another alternative is to use the opl3lpt parallel port sound devices. Compatibility is pretty decent with the TSR and game patches, but you won't get a wave table header or general midi.

There are game port to wavetable header adapters provided said game port features MPU-401. Would give you a lot of flexibility combined with a Dreamblaster. Said option would be pretty expensive though. Wavetable headers are lacking in most PCI sound cards.

If you want to hit all the main points of any DOS sound card you're looking for real, possibly discrete OPL3. (Yamaha chips, essentially.) This will give you the best version of the familiar game soundtracks a-la AdLib or Sound Blaster's FM synth. After that you want a game port with MPU-401 compatibility, which allows you to connect to an external MIDI device (like the Roland devices). Finally, you want a wavetable header to connect to the WaveBlaster or DreamBlaster add-on boards. Full coverage from the authentic chiptunes to sampled wavetable MIDI.

Reply 4 of 41, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Theres no such thing as one rig to rule them all. Because of the compromises you have to make for retro compatibility will restrain the hardware for newer games and vice versa compromises you have to make to run new games will cause incompatibilities for older games.

But anyways my thoughts are the strongest graphics card you can use is FX series agp or pci-e express cards that have a bridge chip that use a FX series GPU such as FX PCX cards. problem with newer cards like 6 series is they lax compatibility with things like fog tables. Sound card you want to use a PCI card that can do decent dos compatibility like A3D MX300 or Yamaha XG. You can consider Audigy 2zs if you want newer games, with some backwards compatibility. If you use a nvidia card you can use like Nglide for 3dfx compatibility in windows, if your CPU is fast enough you can run dos box. I am building a such system like this around a 915 chipset.

Again it wont be a PC to rule them all but I should cover a large swath from late 90s to mid 2000s.

Reply 5 of 41, by data9791

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:

Even with memory patches, windows 98 won't boot with more than 2gb of memory (or at least I have never gotten it to boot.

Don't know how legit it is, but this guy claims to sell a patch that allows Win98 to use 4gb http://rloew.x10host.com/

Reply 6 of 41, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tbh I'd ditch the 'can run modern Linux/Windows acceptably' requirement. The demands a modern browser places on your system are so massive you really can't get that to work satisfactorily within the possibilities of hardware that will run retro stuff. Even 4GB of RAM isn't enough to run Chromium or Firefox in a way that is enjoyable, and 2GB is the max for DOS even booting...

I'd draw the line between Win9x and XP, with a Win9x and below system having 512MB RAM, and the >XP system having >4GB (even if XP32 can only use <4GB of it).

Reply 7 of 41, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can put DOS on anything. I booted to DOS by mistake once on my haswell system with 16gb of RAM. I was transferring files onto a CF card with a USB adapter and I rebooted the machine. It booted to USB by default and suddenly I was in DOS. Same OS as my XT machine 🤣

Reply 8 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should I build a "one rig to rule them all"?

No.

ruthan is already doing that. Ask him how he likes it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 41, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience, do not bother.

You might get Windows 98 or other older OS'es to run on specific motherboards with a Core 2, but you'll get so many strange errors that you will never figure out of, and most of them boils down to the hardware setup. You can techincally do it, but it's not useable in practice. If you limit yourself to for instance late 90s to end of Windows XP you should be able to do that in one machine.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 11 of 41, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Should I build a "one rig to rule them all"?

No.
ruthan is already doing that. Ask him how he likes it.

There are multiple people who did that here 😈 And yeah, I can confirm, it's pain... And I would also say it's really unnecessary...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 12 of 41, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no such thing like universal race car and there is no such thing as universal retro PC. If you want such thing then your best bet is DOSBox or (even better) - PC-em on a modern PC.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 13 of 41, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just think you need 2-3 computers.
1. daily driver
2. something to cover dx3-8 games windows games that old.
3. some kinda 486 66 or some kind of socket 7.

/thread.

TLDR the #2 computer is the most important to be a one kind of rig just know that it hs its limitations. 😘

Reply 14 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ISA friendly solutions.

1. ATX/AT Socket 7 system with Pentium MMX/AMD K6-III CPU
Difficulty to acquire: Easy to Medium

2. ATX Slot 1/Socket 370 system with VIA C3/Pentium 3 swappable combo OR multiplier unlocked Pentium II
Difficulty to acquire: Easy

3. KT133 motherboard with multiplier unlocked AMD Athlon XP
Difficulty to acquire: Easy to Medium

3. Industrial Intel 845P or 865G/PE motherboard with Socket 478
Difficulty to acquire: Hard

4. Industrial Intel 865G/PE motherboard with LGA775 socket (optionally Core 2 support)
Difficulty to acquire: Very Hard

Non-ISA friendly solutions.

1. Asrock Dual VSTA/4Core VSTA system (AGP+PCI-E combo, Core 2 support, Win9x drivers)
Difficulty to acquire: Medium to Hard

2. Asrock 865G/PE system with LGA775 and Core 2 support
Difficulty to acquire: Medium

3. Intel D850MV system with SB-Link support (may require additional soldering)
Difficulty to acquire: Medium

4. Intel 975X based system (last ICH7 motherboard series with true IDE, FDD and unofficial Win9x drivers)
Difficulty to acquire: Easy

*I've intentionally skipped popular mentions like regular 865PE/875P, VIA KT333, Athlon 64, etc, because they don't bring anything interesting to the table. Anything below Pentum MMX should not be even considered.
**Difficulty is based on typical availability and/or price.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2019-08-29, 08:06. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 15 of 41, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pci cards that offer sb compatibility in windows 98 will play most games that require it. some pci cards will work in pure dos with some games. isa cards are needed for everything that don't follow under those conditions. some of those games or id say alot of them have some kinda other hardware issues with graphics cards or are speed sensitive and running some fast cpu even if you have a isa card you will run into all kinds of other problems.. so once again its a waste of time.

Reply 16 of 41, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sirnephilim wrote:

4GB of ram: You could get 16 on most boards and not even break $30... course anything 32-bit will only see 4 of em minus your video RAM size.

I don't think this is true because I installed gtx 780ti with 3Gb of video ram to my old core2duo system and winxp 32bit and if that would be true it could only see 1Gb of ram because of 3Gb of video ram but the window sees bit less than 4Gb of ram like with all the other 32bit winxp systems I have tested.

Reply 17 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In 32-bit OS: physical 4 Gb RAM - reserved address space for all devices (including CPU cores) = available RAM.

Reply 18 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

In 32-bit OS: physical 4 Gb RAM - reserved address space for all devices (including CPU cores) = available RAM.

PAE and address remapping can allow a 32bit OS to utilize the full 4GB of RAM and even more (if you have it available, and the HW memory controller supports it). It is just that Microsoft locked the physical address space to 4GB in all 32-bit client OS SKUs since XP SP2. And server SKUs only come in 64-bit flavors since Win7/2008 R2.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 19 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most "universal" retro PC systems can't support more than 4 gigabytes anyway, so it does not matter.