VOGONS

First post, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

So I tried to fix my HDD and DVD ROM to work again, however I found that my mobo is only working on IDE port and it recognize my HDD but when I tried to connect anything to my Primary port it doesn't see anything on BIOS (my HDD, DVD ROM) also my Floppy port isn't working too. I also changed my IDE cable but none of them worked except on the IDE port.

Is my Primary port dead? I also set my hdd as master and dvd rom as slave. My mainboard is ASUS cuv4x-c with Pentium 3 and my HDD is Seagate 250GB brand new IDE HDD (I just found it today 😜) and the DVD is Pioneer DVD 116.

Last edited by pote2639 on 2019-08-28, 10:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you be a bit clearer about which "ports" you are referring to?

Normally a CUV4X-C has two IDE ports, primary and secondary. So if you say "working on IDE port" but "primary doesn't see anything", you are contradicting yourself because primary is an IDE port 😮

Also, are you connecting both HDD and DVD on the same cable to the same port? Or are you connecting them with two separate cables to separate ports? It sort of sounds like you are connecting them to different ports, but still jumpering the DVD to slave. That's wrong: the first device on either port should be master. Also, some HDD's have separate settings for single drive (no slave) and master with slave. Make sure you choose the right one.

Try to be systematic, do the following and let us know what happens:
- jumper HDD to master/single drive, try only HDD on primary IDE
- jumper HDD to master/single drive, try only HDD on secondary IDE
- jumper DVD to master, try only DVD on primary IDE
- jumper DVD to master, try only DVD on secundary IDE
- jumper HDD to master (with slave) and DVD to slave, try both on one cable on primary IDE
- jumper HDD to master (with slave) and DVD to slave, try both on one cable on secondary IDE

As for the floppy: does the floppy LED stay on permanently? If so, the cable is the wrong way round...

Reply 2 of 6, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:
Could you be a bit clearer about which "ports" you are referring to? […]
Show full quote

Could you be a bit clearer about which "ports" you are referring to?

Normally a CUV4X-C has two IDE ports, primary and secondary. So if you say "working on IDE port" but "primary doesn't see anything", you are contradicting yourself because primary is an IDE port 😮

Also, are you connecting both HDD and DVD on the same cable to the same port? Or are you connecting them with two separate cables to separate ports? It sort of sounds like you are connecting them to different ports, but still jumpering the DVD to slave. That's wrong: the first device on either port should be master. Also, some HDD's have separate settings for single drive (no slave) and master with slave. Make sure you choose the right one.

- jumper HDD to master (with slave) and DVD to slave, try both on one cable on primary IDE
- jumper HDD to master (with slave) and DVD to slave, try both on one cable on secondary IDE

As for the floppy: does the floppy LED stay on permanently? If so, the cable is the wrong way round...

Oh yes, I was meaning the secondary port was working 🤣. I'm silly, anyway I did tried to connect both HDD and DVD together (DVD is slave, HDD is master) on both port and the same IDE cable but for some reason the primary and secondary ports doesn't detected anything. but strangely if I connect my HDD or DVD drive separately on secondary port it is detecting fine. and I found that my hard disk is ST3250823ACE and referring to the manual I think I'm doing it right about setting up the drive as master, by putting the jumper on the first slot. but nonetheless it's working fine with or without slave.. weird? Also my Floppy LED isn't stay on.

But anyway I'll try again with your suggestions and reporting back here! I'm completely new on configuring the old hardwares haha. Also apologizes for my broken english.

Reply 3 of 6, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:
Try to be systematic, do the following and let us know what happens: - jumper HDD to master/single drive, try only HDD on primar […]
Show full quote

Okay so I tried the following respectively:
- Doesnt work, HDD doesn't detected
- Worked, HDD detected and booted to windows normally
- Doesn't work, DVD doesn't detected
- Worked, DVD detected
- Doesn't worked, Nothing detected
- Doesn't worked, Nothing detected

As for Floppy Drive, I kept getting error (40) on BIOS. But my Windows actually found the drive (?!) But if I try to access the drive my system locked up.

So far the only working port is secondary post with single drive.
I'm actually worries if it the motherboard problem. Also out of topic, my windows 98 cannot see my new hard disk more than 16gb, I heard I need to update my BIOS right?

Reply 5 of 6, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My First piece of advice would be to clear the CMOS and then load defaults. I don't see an option in the manual to clear CMOS, so at the least, Load Defaults.

Next, ensure that the IDE and Floppy cables are oriented correctly. The Red Wire on the cable is Pin 1. Pin 1 on the floppy drive itself is usually towards the centre of the drive. This is in case your ribbon cables are not keyed.

Confirm that you are using 80-Conductor, 40-pin cables. Both of those drives will need it. You can confirm by counting the number of ridges in the ribbon.

Ensure that all drives are jumpered properly. post pictures here, and we can confirm.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 6 of 6, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my Packard Bell Intel NV430VX board was like that. it happened after upgrading Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 RTM.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS