VOGONS


First post, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

My sound blaster pro 2.0 is having 1 annoying issue, it's only in Windows 95, in DOS it doesn't do that, but in Windows 95. it has that issue.

Video - https://youtu.be/BsLuLfXLYH8

Reply 1 of 29, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

maybe capacitor replacing might help, creative used cheap capacitors on them and they didn't age well, and also maybe put blanking plates on the PC to block radio interference.

Reply 2 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Specs of the rest of the system?

Yamaha YMF modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG resource repository - updated November 27, 2018
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header

Reply 5 of 29, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
JudgeMonroe wrote:

Do you have the PC Speaker connected to the SB? If you mute the internal speaker input with the W95 mixer does the noise go away?

no, i don't have the pc speaker connected to the sound card, i have the PC case speaker connected to the PC speaker port on the motherboard.

Reply 7 of 29, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
georgel wrote:

Check power supply of the computer. Check 7805 stabilizer IC on the SB card.

that power supply is fairly new, i just got it a few months ago. I later put in my Sound Blaster 16 CT1740 and i don't hear any interference unlike the SB Pro 2.0, i also put on blanking plates to hopefully eliminate RF noise. I later put the SB Pro 2.0 in my ASUS VX97 full tower P133 build and I don't hear any RF noise or whining unlike the other machine. It's also on top of the table unlike the P100 PC that is on the floor next to my main Windows 10 PC.

Reply 8 of 29, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know, I have kind of the opposite problem... the card has that annoying "thinking noise"/whine when idling in DOS command prompt, but it goes away when playing DOS games or in Windows 3.1. I have that same problem both of my SBPro 2 cards, tried different (good) power supplies, as well as several motherboards to no avail. Strange thing is that even my SB 2.0 produces less background noise, and also like you the 1740 does not whine at all.

I guess it may have to do with how well the motherboard filters out noise in the ISA bus.

Reply 9 of 29, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
TheMobRules wrote:

You know, I have kind of the opposite problem... the card has that annoying "thinking noise"/whine when idling in DOS command prompt, but it goes away when playing DOS games or in Windows 3.1. I have that same problem both of my SBPro 2 cards, tried different (good) power supplies, as well as several motherboards to no avail. Strange thing is that even my SB 2.0 produces less background noise, and also like you the 1740 does not whine at all.

I guess it may have to do with how well the motherboard filters out noise in the ISA bus.

my main Windows 10 PC even has that annoying thinking noise/RF interference on the onboard sound card, it's worse when i use headphones.

Reply 13 of 29, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try a different video card or move it to a different slot.

The SB Pro 2 (and all earlier Creative cards) is known to pick up any interference, this was even back then. It's not an issue with it aging. It's just badly designed.

Reply 14 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Startech 300W ATX Power Supply

Does it have a -5V rail? SB Pro 2.0 needs -5V, that may be you rissue.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15 of 29, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Try a different video card or move it to a different slot.

The SB Pro 2 (and all earlier Creative cards) is known to pick up any interference, this was even back then. It's not an issue with it aging. It's just badly designed.

Indeed. I had new SB 2.0 back in the 90s and I could hear bytes chirping in the data bus of my 286 at all times 😉 - it's the same case with every CL card in my collection from similar Era (CT1600 and early, less integrated SB16s)... it was way into 90s when CL started making cards featuring better integration and significantly less noise.

Last edited by HanJammer on 2019-08-29, 09:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Want to buy AT cases, motherboards and other vintage stuff? My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 16 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My CT2290 also picks up ISA bus interference in the form of hisses and clicks on 286-386-486 motherboards. It's just the way Creative Labs junk rolls.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17 of 29, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
appiah4 wrote:

Startech 300W ATX Power Supply

Does it have a -5V rail? SB Pro 2.0 needs -5V, that may be you rissue.

the PSU has a -5v rail, thats why i bought it from amazon a few months ago.

Reply 18 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

My CT2290 also picks up ISA bus interference in the form of hisses and clicks on 286-386-486 motherboards. It's just the way Creative Labs junk rolls.

The real problem is that the motherboards should have good filtering designed into them. So it wasn't just Creative's problem.

Get a board that doesn't have electrolytic caps or doesn't have filtering caps on the ISA/PCI/whatever bus and you will have noise.

Yamaha YMF modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG resource repository - updated November 27, 2018
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header

Reply 19 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can a motherboard be modded to be less noisy ? If so, what needs to be done ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit Ultimate Retro - Project's thread The Ultimate Retro project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative