VOGONS

First post, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know for sure that the PSU I'm using is functional. It has worked with several other MoBos I've tried and sometimes it even powers on when connected to the P2B. When it does, it runs so long as it isn't manually turned off. It seems this is the case only with this MoBo-PSU combo, because I've tried my Corsair CX430 with it and it powers on consistently. I checked inside the 350W LinkWorld and didn't see any suspicious caps or any other sign of it going bad.

The 350W one features a -5V rail whereas the 430 doesn't, yet it still works. I read somewhere that the -5V load is necessary to run ISA cards, though the SB16 I plugged in generated heat on the BIOS screen.

Could anyone please help me?

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 1 of 1, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like the PSU or board have gone out of spec, even if they look ok doesn't mean the voltages are correct.
My bet is the PSU isn't delivering the full voltages on whichever lines so not enough juice to power up the PC, You could check this with a multimeter.

or it could be the M/B and the nice new stronger PSU is hiding a week cap or whatever on the motherboard drawing a bit more power then it should, again multimeter is your friend here (although I'd just stick with the newer PSU)

The -5v is required by some isa cards, link blow lists which ones including what happens, but it wouldn't stop the PC from turning on, just if the card works or not.
ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V