VOGONS

Socket A and AGP Voodoo 3 ?

Topic actions

First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have today gotten a Socket A board, 1.5GB Ram and a Althon 1900+(!.5Ghz) CPU which I got for £20 all in. I have a Voodoo 3 2000 on the way, but looking things over I have some doubts about this setup..

It would seem I screwed up with the "timing" of things .. the V3 came out in 1999, and my "platform" is from 2002/2003. And the OS will be from "2000" (Win2000). Id wanted this system to be as period correct as I could and now I'm realizing up to 3 years gap in dates is not really doing that. Just how out of balance is this setup gonna be performance wise ?

Looking back over I should have maybe gone with a Slot 1 system ? but then Slot 1 platform prices are stupid on eBay (as are Socket 7/Super Socket 7) and I am just not paying that kinda money for a retro x86 system.

Reply 1 of 21, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Athlon XP probably has 4x AGP/1.5v so the Voodoo 3 won't work anyway (and may cook something)...

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 2 of 21, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mwdmeyer wrote:

Athlon XP probably has 4x AGP/1.5v so the Voodoo 3 won't work anyway (and may cook something)...

The board I have has Universal AGP, so 3.3 is supported. That is not the issue ..

Reply 3 of 21, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I was not clear in the OP.

The Voodoo 3 that is on the way is I fear "to old" for for this Socket A setup I just got in the post today. it will work as the mobo I have is Universal 3.3V AGP .. butttttttt the performance scaling is gonna be all out of whack right ?

And I am stuck as to get a Slot 1 setup is to much, AND getting a Voodoo 5 is ALSO to much. So I am stuck ?

Reply 4 of 21, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xs1nX wrote:
mwdmeyer wrote:

The board I have has Universal AGP, so 3.3 is supported. That is not the issue ..

Not all universal agp supports 3.3v. Many just have overload protection and that's it, some not even that.

Personally I drive a v5 with a athlon xp 3200+, so a v3 with half the cpu seems reasonable.

Reply 5 of 21, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote:
Xs1nX wrote:
mwdmeyer wrote:

Not all universal agp supports 3.3v. Many just have overload protection and that's it, some not even that.

Personally I drive a v5 with a athlon xp 3200+, so a v3 with half the cpu seems reasonable.

Motherboard states it has 3.3v support specifically in manual.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/745_Ultra

Reply 6 of 21, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah yep it's a good board, I have several of different revisions. I don't see any problem pairing that with a voodoo3, although if you come across a v5 one day maybe consider that as well.

Reply 8 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see why you'd worry about it; if you want to drive a Voodoo3 with a fast machine, this is the way to do it. Sure, the V3 will bottleneck the system a bit, but it does scale & it'll play Glide games at higher framerates than any "period correct" platform could. There wouldn't be any advantage to downgrading to Slot 1 (unless you really want ISA slots); all you'll do is spend money to lose performance. Socket A is the best "fast Win98" platform IMHO, you get some much needed quality-of-life features like USB2, large IDE drive support, BIOS overclocking options, front panel audio headers, etc. Software compatibility is generally excellent.

The only hitch you might run into with that MSI board is power supply selection; I don't see an extra 12V ATX connector so it probably draws heavily from the 5V rail. Make sure whichever one you use can supply a good 20~25A on the 5V.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 21, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The v3 will be a bottleneck but it's not a big issue and 1900+ isn't THAT fast. You could also downclock it a bit to a 200mhz fsb but there is no point in making it slower. It will maxx out the v3 so make sure the v3 gets a fan on it, otherwise it will get very hot.

As a rule of thumb: Kt133(A) and kt266(A) Via chipsets usually have the proper 3,3v agp support. SOME kt333 boards have it but you have to make sure (My Asus a7v333 works fine). KT400 and later Via chipsets do certainly NOT have it and may burn the card or board,. Nvidia Nforce(2) chipsets do NOT support 3,3v agp. SiS based boards usually have the 3,3v compatible agp slot, even later p4 boards have it with their chipset, while none of the intel based boards have it.. But always check to be certain..

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 21, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's fine.

And if you want to play a game like Half-Life on it, it's recommended.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 12 of 21, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

The only hitch you might run into with that MSI board is power supply selection; I don't see an extra 12V ATX connector so it probably draws heavily from the 5V rail. Make sure whichever one you use can supply a good 20~25A on the 5V.

Oh I have the PSU side of things well taken care of, I found my "beast" back at my parents so am using that.

Beast in this case being the legendary PC Power And Cooling Turbo-Cool 510, this is a monster and cost me I think £150 or more at the time I bought it (2006?)

40A on the 5v rail 😎

Reply 13 of 21, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had not booted my Socket A system in a while so I thought I would install a 3dfx Voodoo 3 and see what happened. Below you should see it "just worked".

file.php?id=67799

Attachments

• RAP.png
    Filename
    RAP.png
    File size
    192.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dual Socket A + 3dfx Voodoo 3
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 14 of 21, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Having an issue with this build I thought id solved but its back so here we go..

2 different IDE optical drives, one from 2003(Combo), one from 2006(DVDRW), 4 different burnt Windows install media (2xDVDRW 2xCDRW). Same results.. fatal read errors on installing/setup of Windows(2k and XP) copying files and at the initial driver load stage.

Optical drives have been tried as primary slave and secondary master. Can not try as primary master as my IDE to SD card adapter is "hard set" to master.

Did manage to get XP installed once, have to install Win2k now for Voodoo driver reasons but somehow this problem is back ?

Anyone have any ideas at all as to what this could be ?

Edit: just found a really scuffed up really old burn of Win2k from maybe 10+ years ago and that works ?

Edit 2: Tried a different USB ODD, and tried burning from a Application rather then the Finder on my Mac mini and this seems to work also ?

Reply 15 of 21, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1st reason. You could have damaged source files. Which would be one explanation as to why it happens regardless. so one thing you can try is re-rip your windows CDs making sure the discs are clean and using somthing like ISO buster if you have issues copying. It could be the way you are making the CDs and that you are doing it in a way that is not right.

2nd Other reason you could have bad media as in manufactured poorly or incompatbile with your drives for whatever reason.

3rd You could need a firmware update on your drives to improve thier compatibility with reading certain types of disks.

4th you could have bad stick of memory and you just dont know it and that is causing read errors so you should run memtest 86 to verify you dont have bad ram.

5th you could have damaged ribbon cables even if you think they are not.

6th. even though you are burning them at 2x you could be burning them in a way that is messing up the files. You could try just using nlite to burn the disks instead of whatever you are using. maybe this is not a issue but thought id point that out.

7th. you might have dirty lasers, you could try cleaning them by taking apart the drives and use like a brandnew very soft paint brush to just gently wipe them and put them back together. You could also try blowing the lasers with compressed air if that suits you better.

8th. If you verified that steps 1-7 is not a issue you could just rip the disks to the hard drive and booth the computer with DOS and run setup from DOS by invoking. WINNT from the I386 folder.

Reply 16 of 21, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like you are using CD-RW or DVD-RWs. Don't do that, they kinda suck and you get grief in general using them. Just use a normal DVD+R or normal CD-R. Drives from 2006 shouldn't have any trouble reading these.

You should also burn an ISO image of the CD directly using direct image rip of the disk. These disks are set up in a specific way to boot and run correctly, Burning anything other than the original ISO to a fresh disk is absolutely not guaranteed to work.

Reply 17 of 21, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think my issues were to do with the way the Finder burns ISO's in newer/current versions of OSX. Seems like it is broken in some way ?

Using a 3rd party burning Application has solved the issue it seems.

Reply 18 of 21, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sanity check,

Got the Voodoo 3 2000 today, plunged in and 2d output works fine and drivers install fine (using Amigasport 3.0 as they seem recommended from googling)

Bit worried about the temp of the card/chip tho, the back of the PCB where the chip is is pretty toasty even at idle at windows desktop. this is with a 140mm 1000rpm fan leaning against the component side of the card for cooling.

Is this normal ?