VOGONS

First post, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, this socket 7 motherboard has been driving me insane for months.
This was the behavior when I got the board:

before.jpg
Filename
before.jpg
File size
866.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The keyboard was connected, but keyboard LEDs didn't flash and there was no response.
The CPU being used is an IDT WinChip C6 200, so it is misdetected. The reported amount of RAM is also incorrect, I'm using a 16+16+8+8 combination.

After flashing the newest (HDD patched) BIOS in a different board, this is the result:

after.jpg
Filename
after.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

When it hangs, it is always at the same number. The CPU is now properly detected.
I have successfully entered the BIOS once and I was able to move around with the keyboard for a few seconds before it locked up so the keyboard controller is not completely dead.
I can't get to the BIOS anymore. The board also doesn't boot up reliably, only giving a video signal about 50% of the time. The keyboard fuse is fine.

Using only one bank (either one of them) and trying different RAM doesn't fix it.
RTC is not the issue because I have modded it to use a CR2032.
Proper CPU voltage has been selected with jumpers and measured with a multimeter to be 3.50 V.
There is 256K of onboard cache and a socketed chip with an additional 256K. Jumpering the board to use only 256K/removing the extra chip does nothing. The cache doesn't get hot during operation.
I have tried three different PSUs - a 500 W FSP, 400 W no-name and a 420 W Spire, no difference.
I have checked virtually all ceramic caps for a short to ground and found nothing.
The electrolytes don't seem to be a problem either, I desoldered a 220 uF one (CPU Vcore) and it measured to be 205 uF, 0.34 ohms ESR.
I even soldered a 3300 uF cap near the RAM slots (3.3 V line), no difference.

Any final ideas before it goes to the junk pile?

Reply 1 of 4, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am happy to report that this board is finally fixed, over three years later.
Thanks to a Vogons member who contacted me to check if I ever managed to fix the board, I replaced the keyboard controller with a VIA VT82C42N and now everything works.

post1.jpg
Filename
post1.jpg
File size
656.31 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It's not just because of the different CPU, I can assure you that the MMX 233 got stuck during the memory test in the exact same way as the IDT before the keyboard controller swap.
I would say it was quite a lucky guess. I never would have suspected the keyboard controller if it wasn't for the old BIOS where the memory count was successful, but then the board got stuck with the keyboard related errors.
What is the moral of the story? If your board hangs during the memory test, check your keyboard controller, as dumb as it may seem.

Sorry for the necropost, but hopefully this can help somebody with a similar problem.