VOGONS

K6-2+ board compatibility

Topic actions

First post, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased a K6-2+ 450 CPU off eBay. The seller has confirmed it was working when he sent it, but I've been unable to get it working on two Super Socket 7 boards I own. I'm stuck now wondering whether the two boards I own support K6-2+ CPUs (they both work fine with ordinary K6-2 CPUs) or whether the CPU is bust.

I'll give some details of the boards, but would be great if someone could confirm whether they've had success with K6-2+ CPUs on either of them.

Board 1 is a DFI K6XV3+ running what I believe is a beta BIOS dated 15 Jan 2001.

Board 2 is FIC VA-503+ (PCB rev 1.2A) running a BIOS dated 6 Sep 1999.

I'm unable to track down any later BIOS versions for either board. Also can't find any info about whether these boards are supposed to support the PLUS variants of the K6-2 CPUs.

Last edited by pcrob on 2019-09-18, 15:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 20, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look for Steunebrink BIOS

maybe you have some luck:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 20, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matze79 wrote:

Look for Steunebrink BIOS

maybe you have some luck:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Ah, thanks for the link. I remember that now: it's where I got the beta BIOS for the DFI board (though, of course it's telling that I have that BIOS flashed but the CPU is not working). There's a later BIOS version listed for the FIC board, so I'll try that.

Reply 3 of 20, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do the boards turn on and show the POST display?

Did you manually set the boards to the correct voltage? If the board didn’t detect the CPU properly, it may have applied too much voltage if set to automatic voltage detection...

Reply 4 of 20, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote:

Do the boards turn on and show the POST display?

Did you manually set the boards to the correct voltage? If the board didn’t detect the CPU properly, it may have applied too much voltage if set to automatic voltage detection...

The boards do not post at all with the K6-2+ 450 CPU in them, so I get just a black screen.

For the K6-2+ I've manually set the voltage to 2.0 as that's what's printed on the CPU. I'm also using an a K6-2 450 on the board to apply BIOS updates, etc, which is 2.2V, so I've been switching between the two voltages.

Reply 5 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't sound good...

A K6Plus can easily survive 2.2V, it just gets a bit hot. In fact I'd recommend trying with slightly higher voltage, maybe 2.1V just to see if that changes anything. But normally you can undervolt these CPUs at stock speeds, so I'd say chances are that CPU is plain dead :'(

Reply 6 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had three different versions of the DFI K6XV3+. I've never tried a K6-2+ on any of them but I think I recall the earliest one didn't work with my K6-III 400 even after BIOS updates.
If your board has the colored I/O connectors it is a more recent revision and should support the K6-2+ with the latest BIOS.
You say you get a blank screen - I supposed you aren't getting any beep codes either?

Reply 8 of 20, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote:

I've had three different versions of the DFI K6XV3+. I've never tried a K6-2+ on any of them but I think I recall the earliest one didn't work with my K6-III 400 even after BIOS updates.
If your board has the colored I/O connectors it is a more recent revision and should support the K6-2+ with the latest BIOS.
You say you get a blank screen - I supposed you aren't getting any beep codes either?

No beep codes either.

Reply 10 of 20, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've installed the beta bios from the Steunebrink onto the FIC VA-503+. Still nothing from the CPU though, so it's looking like it might be dead, Jim.

My hope was that there was some sort of setting I had to adjust for K6 Plus models, for instance (from the Steunebrink link):

Note that if you want to run a K6plus on a board with the Intel 430TX, 430VX, or ALi Aladdin IV(+) chipset, you may have to set "System BIOS Cacheable" in the CMOS Setup to "Disable" to get it working.

Both these boards have a VIA chipset, so no help to me.

Reply 11 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had to use 2.1v on a few boards to get the K6-2+ CPUs to work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 20, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

The 503+ for sure does, I ran a k6-3+ on one.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Tried a few more of the suggestions last night including bumping up the voltage slightly, but there's no getting that CPU to run. The eBay seller has already kindly refunded the money.

Reply 15 of 20, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to take this thread off at a slight tangent..
In my searches for the elusive III+
which continually drew blanks I settled for a AMD K6-2+/550ACZ CPU Super Socket7 550MHz 2V x86 32bit ...which is coming from asia.
It wasn't bank breaking and certainly the photo looked the part.
My question relates to authenticity.
The chip hasn't arrived yet but I cant rid myself of this gut feeling that it may be a fake.
Fingers crossed it isn't.
But I have read that fakes do exist and are circulated.
Has anyone encountered 'fakes' and are there any visual indications I can look for when it gets here ?..before just popping it in the SS7 mobo and holding my breath.
rgds
VS

Reply 16 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vipersan wrote:
Just to take this thread off at a slight tangent.. In my searches for the elusive III+ which continually drew blanks I settled f […]
Show full quote

Just to take this thread off at a slight tangent..
which continually drew blanks I settled for a AMD K6-2+/550ACZ CPU Super Socket7 550MHz 2V x86 32bit ...which is coming from asia.
It wasn't bank breaking and certainly the photo looked the part.
My question relates to authenticity.
The chip hasn't arrived yet but I cant rid myself of this gut feeling that it may be a fake.
Fingers crossed it isn't.
But I have read that fakes do exist and are circulated.
Has anyone encountered 'fakes' and are there any visual indications I can look for when it gets here ?..before just popping it in the SS7 mobo and holding my breath.
rgds
VS

Earlier this year I also ordered a K6-2+ 550 ACZ from a Chinese eBay seller. It arrived, it worked and it clocks to 550MHz (in fact it's happy past 600MHz at 2.1V too) and shows 128kB of L2, so seems legit enough.

I do notice big differences between lettering/print on K6-2/3/2+/3+ CPUs, but I remember that from back in the day too.

Reply 17 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NOS AMD K6-2+ and III+ still appear sometimes on ebay and other trading platforms.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 18 of 20, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanx Dion ..You make me feel better about my purchase..
..and my search will go on .
Problem is that even when K6-2 III+ cpus do appear it is usually a distance away ...with high shipping costs and silly unrealistic prices out of my budget range..
rgds
VS

Reply 19 of 20, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just ordered a K6-2+ from a Chinese outfit on Ebay for a reasonable price ($25.00 shipped). Likely it was pulled from a laptop. I actually upgraded a laptop to a genuine K6-2+ 550 back in 2003, then in probably 2007 I scrapped it without bothering to save the CPU! Who knows, I might be getting that same one back.
It'll be going in the MB8500TTD I recently purchased, so it will be underclocked - but maybe I will end up with a super 7 AT motherboard at some point?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey